• 2024 2023 '22

I had a very bad roll of the dice. I followed AndrewAAGame’s principles, yet I got this:

3D27C858-4194-46A3-B210-254172F36EE3.jpeg

The battle calculator showed it over 95%, and I lost! Probably the end of Japan.

Let me know if you would like a full game report.

• @superbattleshipyamato The real mystery here is the spinning top UAP on the top of the screen

• @superbattleshipyamato it happens sometimes.

But given what you were risking, it is probably not a battle worth going for unless it was the best odds you were going to get and the battle was decisive to the game (and that doesn’t seem likely given that you were attacking China in Hopei).

The reason is that you were risking valuable units (needed to take India and keep the US at bay) to kill inf. Given that, 95% odds not only means that you lose sometimes but that even when you win, the casualties can favor your opponent. My guess is that the average tuv swing of the battle was either negative or at least close to 0.

Its good for Japan to knock China out of the game, but unless there was a reason that it was necessary to Japan’s victory or survival on this turn, this is not a battle I would go for unless I had 100% odds and a very positive average tuv swing.

• @farmboy

I guess so. Still, China had put everyone here, so if Japan won it would’ve been the end of China. Instead, that one infantry with British support has began a comeback. A very scary comeback.

• @superbattleshipyamato Its certainly good for Japan to knock China out of the game. But its not usually decisive to the game in the way that taking India or stopping the US is and because those units are needed for the latter, I wouldn’t risk them attacking China without better odds and a better tuv swing. Its best to make sure that it is very unlikely that you lose more than inf and this is a battle where it is quite plausible that you would lose your art, arm and even air if the dice are marginally below average.

A key axis advantage in this game is that they (especially because of their airpower) can project power in several directions which can keep the allies on the outside. If the allies can force the axis to commit on one side or another in combats that risk that air, it often either blunts the axis pressure on the other side or opens up space for the allies to break through. And that often means even high probability battles are more risky for the axis than they might otherwise appear.

• @farmboy

Yeah, how high should the battle calculator be before fighting? I used to be mid to high 80%, low 80% if important, but then AndrewAAGamer said 95+%.

I’m just not really sure how to play, to be honest. I always play against myself so I don’t really innovate.

• @superbattleshipyamato 95% is probably a good standard for a lot of battles (especially where the goal isn’t a game deciding move but just to get/deny income or cause attrition). But it depends on the context.

If the cost of losing the battle is high and the benefit of winning is low, than it may not be worth doing. In this particular case, the units you were risking against China were more valuable than the units you were attacking and were needed for India and the US. So here I probably would have wanted 100% odds and even then I’d want to consider whether committing to this would set me back elsewhere.

In other cases I might go to 80% or even lower, if the cost of losing is minimal and the benefit of winning is high.

• @farmboy

Thank you, I’ll keep that in mind.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m