• I got this for $30 but people seem to not like it. I wanted a game that could take less than the 1940 games and still have the axis and allies experience. It’s coming in a few days. If you have any ideas send them in this thread because the reviews are making me more and more pessimistic.

Edit: Got the game! I actually like how map is shaped because it’s like a breath of fresh air. If I don’t like playing it then I’ll trade it lol

• @all-encompassing-goose Try the LHTR. I don’t have a link on me but looking up either “Axis and Allies 1942 2nd Edition Tournament Rules” or “Axis and Allies 1942 3.0 Tournament Rules” (or something similar) should get you the info you need.

Basically, it’s a modification to the starting setup that takes away the massive starting advantage the Axis have (which ultimately makes the game a lot more even, although it’s still a bit linear). This turn 42SE from basically the worst game in the franchise into a comfortably mid-tier one. Great for getting a game done in a reasonable amount of time or getting new players up to speed on the rules.

• @domanmacgee

This category / topic is about Spring 1942 (of 2009), an edition following AA50-rules but simplified compared to AA50. You are mixing it up with 1942 second edition (2012).

• @all-encompassing-goose said in Ways to make the game better?:

I got this for $30 but people seem to not like it. I wanted a game that could take less than the 1940 games and still have the axis and allies experience. It’s coming in a few days. If you have any ideas send them in this thread because the reviews are making me more and more pessimistic

Give it a chance. It was issued right after Anniversary Edition and meant to replace “Revised” as basic A&A game. However it never became as popular as AA50 (its big brother) - and has been obsoleted by 1942SE later.

• @panther Ah, that’s right. Somehow I misread the board category since usually 42SE is the one with the bad reputation while most tend to ignore Spring 42.

@All-Encompassing-Goose As Panther said, ignore the critics and play on. Most of the complaints about this version are about the lackluster components (money, plastic guys, etc.) rather than the actual gameplay. If that kind of thing actually bothers you or your friends just use the pieces from one of the other games (if you own any others).

• @domanmacgee the worst game is 1941, its too simplistic. It’s for Toddlers or animals that just learned to walk on land.

• @panther said in Ways to make the game better?:

@domanmacgee

This category / topic is about Spring 1942 (of 2009), an edition following AA50-rules but simplified compared to AA50. You are mixing it up with 1942 second edition (2012).

My hunch is that @All-Encompassing-Goose actually bought the 2nd edition of 1942. It sounds like he ordered a new copy, and I guess they are not selling the 1st (Spring) edition any longer.

So I guess let’s see if I’m right and be ready with that “move topic” button.:slightly_smiling_face:

• @imperious-leader said in Ways to make the game better?:

@domanmacgee the worst game is 1941, its too simplistic. It’s for Toddlers or animals that just learned to walk on land.

How is 1941 not a better game than Classic, at the very least? I mean with the errata added.

• @cernel said in Ways to make the game better?:

@panther said in Ways to make the game better?:

@domanmacgee

My hunch is that @All-Encompassing-Goose actually bought the 2nd edition of 1942. It sounds like he ordered a new copy, and I guess they are not selling the 1st (Spring) edition any longer.

So I guess let’s see if I’m right and be ready with that “move topic” button.:slightly_smiling_face:

I thought about that, too, but as the category for the newer game is more exposed on this forum than the chosen one for the older game, I decided to answer like I did… however, that button is ready for taking action, if needed. :wink:

• @cernel I do have a bad track record for accidentally making posts in the wrong topic but I got Spring 1942 from Ebay. Unless the seller makes a mistake and gives me the 2nd edition, I know I’m receiving Spring 1942. Also, you cannot get 2nd edition anywhere in new condition for less than $60 which I state in the post I ordered SE for $30 (with all the shipping added)

• @all-encompassing-goose said in Ways to make the game better?:

@cernel I do have a bad track record for accidentally making posts in the wrong topic but I got Spring 1942 from Ebay. Unless the seller makes a mistake and gives me the 2nd edition, I know I’m receiving Spring 1942. Also, you cannot get 2nd edition anywhere in new condition for less than $60 which I state in the post I ordered SE for $30 (with all the shipping added)

Definitely worth the money (assuming it’s like new), but your decision to pick the 1st edition does not make a whole lot of sense to me. If you wanted a game that could take less than the 1940 games and still have the Axis&Allies experience, I would think the 2nd edition of 1942 is the most obvious choice (unless you are still playing the first edition of the 1940 games).

This said, one thing that Spring 1942 has going for itself is balance: the game is fairly balanced (being only very slightly unbalanced in favour of the Axis) and can be reasonably played with no bid (and no optional rules picking) at any skill levels, which is rare or even unique for any Axis&Allies world games.

My suggestion, however, is to alter the starting set-up by relocating the American destroyer into the sea zone next to the Eastern United States territory: it near-to-perfectly balances the game (by giving a very small advantage to the Allies) and avoid the very dicey attack by the German sub in than zone on round 1 (being either a +26 or a -6 swing value for the Axis).

• PantherP Panther forked this topic on

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m