Land aircraft in neutral allied territory

• Hi there,
    is it allowed to land aircraft in pro neutral already attacked territories? E.g: can uk land fighter in yugoslavia after landing there if Germany strafed it?

• @fasthard

Yes, see page 11 of the 1940.2 Europe Rulebook:

“If the attack upon the formerly neutral territory is
    unsuccessful (the territory is not captured), any remaining
    defending units stay in the territory but can’t move. The
    territory remains uncontrolled (place a national control
    marker on it face down to indicate its new status) but is
    considered friendly to powers on the side it’s now allied
    with.
    Units belonging to those powers can move into it and
    take control of it and its remaining units in the same way as
    if it were a friendly neutral.”

So with the German attack on Yugoslavia, the territory Yugoslavia immediately became friendly to the Allies. Yugoslavia is part of the Alliance.
    So UK can land there.

Note that Yugoslavia, after the attack, is no longer considered (pro) neutral, but Allied, just not controlled by any power.

See https://www.axisandallies.org/forums/post/20494, too.

• @panther thx for the quick answer. So aircraft can also land there after occuping it?

• @fasthard said in Land aircraft in neutral allied territory:

@panther thx for the quick answer. So aircraft can also land there after occuping it?

To land there, the territory must have been friendly at the beginning of the turn.
    So following the above example, UK can NCM an infantry into Yugoslavia (to gain control) as well as land a fighter there (as it has been friendly at the beginning of UK’s turn).

• @panther to clarify, landing the plane there would not take control of the territory, that would require NCM a ground unit?

• @nishav said in Land aircraft in neutral allied territory:

@panther to clarify, landing the plane there would not take control of the territory, that would require NCM a ground unit?

Correct!

• @fasthard to continue on the example given above: if Germany attacks Yugo but retreats before conquering it, then the Yugo units can’t leave the territory BUT are allied. The Allies (for example, UK) could land a fighter there and then the units become controlled by the UK. Then, the next turn, if they survive (doubtful) the Yugo units are now UK and could leave the territory.

• @mikemikemike thx, so I don’t even have to land ground troups there?

• @fasthard CORRECTION: I was incorrect in my first interpretation: Here the Corrected answer please see the other replies and feedback: I am looking at page 11 of the 2nd edition of the European Rule Book for AA1940 under the topic of Unfriendly Neutrals.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20

That is not correct. Only LAND units may take control of the now uncontrolled Neutral. The allied plan may land there but it does not take control.

Global 1940 Europe Second Edition Rules:

Page 11 (BOLD added by me)
    If the attack upon the formerly neutral territory is unsuccessful (the territory is not captured), any remaining defending units stay in the territory but can’t move. The territory remains uncontrolled (place a national control marker on it face down to indicate its new status), but units from the side it’s now allied with can move into it and take control of it and its remaining units in the same way as if it were a friendly neutral.

Page 10 (BOLD added by me)
    Friendly neutrals may not be attacked, and air units may not fly over them. They can be moved into (but not through) as a noncombat move by land units of a power that is at war (see “Noncombat Move,” page 22). This moves the territory out of its neutral status, however. The first friendly power to do so places its national control marker on the former friendly neutral territory, and its national production level is adjusted upward by the value of the territory. With the territory’s loss of neutrality in this way, its standing army is immediately activated. The units placed belong to the power that now controls the formerly neutral territory, and may be used freely beginning on that power’s next turn.

Also, the land unit cannot be an AA Gun though I am unable to find that right now. It might be in an FAQ.

• @mikemikemike said in Land aircraft in neutral allied territory:

The Allies (for example, UK) could land a fighter there and then the units become controlled by the UK.

Please don’t add confusion. It has been clearliy clarified before, that the landing of a fighter does not establish control of the former neutral - now allied - territory.

• @andrewaagamer said in Land aircraft in neutral allied territory:

Only LAND units may take control of the now uncontrolled Neutral.

Precisely we are not talking about an uncontrolled Neutral, but about an uncontrolled allied territory.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m