League General Discussion Thread

• '19 '17 '16

@gamerman01 said in Find League Opponents Thread:

Yeah, I like the concept of UKP & ANZAC economies (and pieces?) merged. It was a key feature in a house-ruled version I was working on years ago - didn’t finish because balanced mod came along before I was done.

I don’t like the idea at first hearing. Firstly, where would the capital be? Secondly, wouldn’t one of the locations be massively reinforced while the other is basically ignored. Certainly makes an ANZAC crush more likely. Maybe the Sydney IC would be upgraded to a major? Or add an IC in Queensland?

• Right. Well here are my ideas from years ago when I had thought it all through:

NSW and India are both capitals. If one falls, 1/2 (rounded up) of IPC’s on hand are lost to the conquering power
    Without India, NSW cannot collect from West India, Burma, Shan State or Hong Kong, or NO for Malaya
    Without NSW, India cannot collect from any Australia/NZ territories, or NO for islands

The rest you can read at this address: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ujxn3r0e5sekcVPS8CbkH3KByB1iVrNJimiwA3e_BiI/edit#gid=2

• Maybe somebody or I will finish this some day. I came up with a lot of it myself, and looking at it, I remember I had ideas for making convoy rules a lot better.

Basically, you shouldn’t be able to stop all the income in places like Zone 6, Zone 97, Zone 101 (Tokyo, Rome, Washington DC). with a fleet.

But anyway, point is that merging India and Australia does take a lot of other tweaks, you are right. I’ve come up with them years ago, and they are all on this google spreadsheet.

• I see that work is over 8 years old, so I forgot a lot of it. There are some really cool ideas in there, if I do say so myself.

• '19 '17 '16

If you are so keen to speed up the game in a play by forum context why not make the Italians move after France. Also making ussr after Japan but that might require some setup changes at least.

• @simon33 If you are talking about my G40 project from 8 years ago, I don’t even remember turn order ideas.

• OK, looking it over again really fast, France is eliminated as a playable power. It wasn’t about speed, it was about AA50 style 3 on 3, alternating turns. Eliminates the Italy to Germany cheese and the US/UK power move. Turn order is basically AA50, playing 1 power at a time and alternating.

• '19 '17 '16

OK, looking it over again really fast, France is eliminated as a playable power. It wasn’t about speed, it was about AA50 style 3 on 3, alternating turns. Eliminates the Italy to Germany cheese and the US/UK power move. Turn order is basically AA50, playing 1 power at a time and alternating.

I don’t see what is so good about that. You seem really keen to rewind back to AA50, interesting. Have you looked at Ozteas’ 1941 setup? Haven’t played it myself but I understand it effectively advances politics by 2 turns so everything gets going much more quickly I presume.

• @gamerman01 Why not just use Grasshopper’s 3G40 turn order?

Germany
    Anzac
    Japan
    United Kingdom
    Italy
    China
    USSR
    USA
    France

Very little cheese, just removes the ability of Italy to can open in the Eastern Front & the same for Germany wrt Italy in Gibraltar

• @simon33 said in [League General Discussion Thread]

I don’t see what is so good about that. You seem really keen to rewind back to AA50, interesting.

I said twice below, this was done EIGHT years ago. That wasn’t long after AA50 was abandoned like yesterday’s newspaper.

Have you looked at Ozteas’ 1941 setup? Haven’t played it myself but I understand it effectively advances politics by 2 turns so everything gets going much more quickly I presume.

No, I just saw the idea about UK/ANZAC being merged and that made me think of my house-ruled game that didn’t get finished.

• @simon33 said in League General Discussion Thread:

Yeah, I like the concept of UKP & ANZAC economies (and pieces?) merged. It was a key feature in a house-ruled version I was working on years ago - didn’t finish because balanced mod came along before I was done.

I don’t like the idea at first hearing. Firstly, where would the capital be? Secondly, wouldn’t one of the locations be massively reinforced while the other is basically ignored. Certainly makes an ANZAC crush more likely. Maybe the Sydney IC would be upgraded to a major? Or add an IC in Queensland?

I was merely responding to this. Simon was asking how a merged UK/ANZAC could work and so I shared what I had put together 8 years ago, which was during the transition time from AA50 to G40.

France and ANZAC were eliminated as playable powers, so Grasshopper’s turn order doesn’t apply. The turn order idea I had after eliminating France and ANZAC is similar to every single global A&A game that had gone before, including the original, classic, Axis and Allies game, so it really isn’t just about AA50.

• @simon33 Have you ever played 3G40

• '19 '17 '16

@hengst said in League General Discussion Thread:

@simon33 Have you ever played 3G40

No, i haven’t. Seems a bit complicated

• @simon33 If you have questions about the implementation & balance of a combined ANZAC/UKP you should try the variant of the rules which accomplishes it. Try 3G40 on tripleA.

• Haven`t been here for some time.

Is the majority of games now played PTV ? Or BM and older versions are still stronger?

And one more question about bids in BM4. Have they changed much ? What are the average bids these days there?

• @amon-sul welcome back!

the majority is still BM but games of ptv and oob are pretty common too. Bids for BM have moved to around 20 lately (although I think that is a little high).

• Welcome back from me too!

• @farmboy said in League General Discussion Thread:

@amon-sul welcome back!

the majority is still BM but games of ptv and oob are pretty common too. Bids for BM have moved to around 20 lately (although I think that is a little high).

Thanks.

And what about DOV. What is most common for Japan , rd 1, rd 2, rd 3?

And is it much different in PTV?

• @amon-sul Based on the games I have played, J3 seems to be the most common but J1, J2, and J4 are all in the mix too. I’ve used J2 through 4 this year and have had all of them used against me.

I can’t speak to PTV as I haven’t played that yet.

• First call for playoff signups

If you want to play in the playoff(s) STARTING SOON AFTER 12/31/22 and if you have completed 6 games of balanced mod, 3 games of PTV, and/or 3 games of OOB G40 private message me (preferably) or post to league discussion thread. Then you are signed up and will be in the playoffs. There will be a signup sheet in the rankings spreadsheet where you can confirm you are signed up, and you can see who else has signed up.

If you want to be sure you’re in, post or private message your signup before 1/1/23.

Each game version does have more than 8 qualifying players for the playoffs, and if we have at least 8 signups for each game version, there will be a full bracket of 8 for the championship from the 2022 regular season. If you don’t end up in the top 8, you will still get gripping playoff action!

Players may enter the playoff for more than one version if qualifying with minimum games in each (you have a ranking number in the first column, or 2nd column for BM which requires 6 games done). The overall ranking sheet is so that players playing different versions may be compared (and also to count total number of games for purposes of determining how many games you can play against another individual) and so have no bearing on the playoffs. Your seeding and qualifications are determined from your results IN THAT version’s ranking sheet.

Playoffs are primarily for the enjoyment of players and are single elimination - you lose, you go home and cry. Oh wait, you’re already home. You just cry. Of course it was the dice’s fault.

If you have any questions about how the playoffs work, just send me a PM.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m