• I used to think the Axis in the 1941 set up and even the 1942 set up as well were unbelievably strong to the point where the Allies could never even dream of countering them, however the more test runs I have made with the Allied nations, the United Kingdom in particular, the more I’ve come to realize just how strong they can truly become.

To start off with Germany, really you can only effectively destroy the British vessels in SZ 2 and 4 while the other ships remain for the most part out of your reach to the point of overextension, leaving them with a suitably sized navy to build up with from the get go. The other problem that I have found happen a countless amount of times is Germany’s inability to hold Leningrad properly. This is not because of the Russians liberating it by any means, but the British liberating it by means of taking Norway and Finland after they’ve already destroyed the Baltic fleet. Once Norway and Finland are seized that’s a whole entire 5 IPCs that you will essentially never get back and on top of all that, your chances of taking and holding Leningrad drop exponentially. The problem with the Germans that many others before me have highlighted is they simply do not have the means to fight the British on their turf in the Atlantic. Egypt is another problem as well. While the Germans are capable of taking it on G1, it is a rather tedious gamble that could cost you a multitude of essential units that could have been better spent holding Northern Africa from the Americans when they land. Setting the United States aside, the British have the ultimate authority and jurisdiction of containing the German War Machine down to it’s last atom.

In regards to the Pacific front, really it’s a coin toss in a way. Although I strongly dislike the idea of Japan pulling the classic lightning strike on India by turn two, allowing for an industrial complex to be built on India is signing away your chances of winning in the Pacific. I’ve found that the Americans alone do not have a force adequate enough to take on the Japanese, which is why I experimented in building a British fleet composed of multiple carriers and a battleship and some other smaller vessels in the Indian ocean. This fleet in particular was meant to act nothing more then to act as area denial for the Japanese in places like the money islands and the Philippines. Not only that but the British with national objectives are capable of outproducing the Americans in IPCs handedly making them a threat to the Axis powers alone.

So all in all, I want to know that if an industrial complex on India was in fact built, would there be a way to stop the Allies? Any suggestions and things I may have missed are welcome.

• @thedesertfox
    After reading alot of articles in this forum, the general consensus is that the game favours the Axis (playing with NO). But I agree with you, I find The Allies a very strong part. Myself I have played Anniversary about 10 times, lost as both sides, never won against an experienced player.

However, my favourite opening move on G1 against the British Fleet is as follows;
    SZ2, attack with 2 subs and 1 fighter
    SZ6, attack with 1 sub and 1 cruiser
    SZ12, attack with 2 fighter
    The German Bomber goes to Egypt on T1

This way the British fleet is getting pounded right from the start, and the only units that are unharmed are the British in SZ9.
    But, as I stated, I have never won the game…

• @ola

An interesting and definetely new opening, I may just have to try it sooner or later. My only point that I would put into question is the act of attacking sea zone 12 with 2 fighters since granted while removing those two ships from the board would be beneifical, you’re also heavily costing your own much needed aircraft.

I think really one of, if not the only way you could defeat/halt the UK is to invest heavily in a powerful airforce solely meant to attack British vessels in the Atlantic to slow down transport shucks. Essentially, prevent them from landing in Norway/Finland at all costs, but then the other question comes into play as to how long could they afford to do that before the Russians arrive?

• @thedesertfox
    ”a powerful airforce solely meant to attack British vessels”
    I don’t think this will be succesful (and draws away to much effort from the russian front) as the British player will build up the fleet in SZ2 with carriers and fighters with defence value of 4. It will be very hard to keep Norway as Axis, as soon as the german transport is gone.

• I have now tried so many different attacks (and failed on both sides) as to my next effort. I will try something completely different.
    German T1 move will be;
    SZ2, attack with 2 subs and 1 fighter
    SZ6, attack with 1 sub and 1 fighter
    SZ12, attack with 2 fighter
    The German Bomber goes to Egypt on T1

German purchase T1 will be;
    1 carrier SZ5
    1 fighter SZ5
    1 tank Berlin
    I am painfully aware that this will be short of placing ”boots to the ground”, but it will hopefully keep the German transport alive another turn for extra pressure on Karelin.

I will surely loose again, but it will be fun testing it out… ;)

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18

@ola said in Stopping the Allies?:

I will surely loose again, but it will be fun testing it out…

Reverse that thought ! Confidence is High ! Put the Key in and be ready to turn it ! :grin:

• @ola

Exactly, it strictly becomes something that just isn’t efficient but may work if you actually tried it, I dont know. Point is, should the U.K set up a task force in the Atlantic then the Germans would need to build up a strong enough force close to Moscow to make one final assault whilst building up an airforce and somewhat of a navy to stop it, other then that the U.K have much more free range then what they would in global 40.

• @thedesertfox Are you playing with NOs on or off? As @OLA mentioned, which side is favored in the 41 setup swings based on whether NOs are being used. Off = Allied-favored, On = Axis-favored. It boils down to the starting income gap being easier to mitigate when Axis have access to their NOs.

Not sure if German navy is the right way of going about things. In higher level games it’s usually Japan that ends up winning the game for the Axis while Germany/Italy hold the line.

• @domanmacgee said in Stopping the Allies?:

@thedesertfox Are you playing with NOs on or off? As @OLA mentioned, which side is favored in the 41 setup swings based on whether NOs are being used. Off = Allied-favored, On = Axis-favored. It boils down to the starting income gap being easier to mitigate when Axis have access to their NOs.

Not sure if German navy is the right way of going about things. In higher level games it’s usually Japan that ends up winning the game for the Axis while Germany/Italy hold the line.

I’ll add the following rule-of-thumb.

Assuming every other option is off,

• no options on: slight Allies advantage
    • interceptors on: balanced
    • National Objectives on: marked Axis advantage

Using Low Luck (a popular house rule) possibly balances the game when played with no options on or else gives an additional slight advantage to the Axis.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m