• Not at all, nikola! Is it the first time you’ve seen that tactic, perhaps? Those nasty Italian can-opener possibilities kind of offset it, in my opinion. Just my 2 cents worth :)

• @gamerman01 Sure, Italian tanks/bombers are nothing new, but they can still advance max 2 territories. Aussies can attack over 5 sea zones! A bit difficult to follow - they can start in Australia and kill Japanese transports near Korea in the same turn.

• @nikola1975 said in Post League Game Results Here:

@gamerman01 Sure, Italian tanks/bombers are nothing new, but they can still advance max 2 territories. Aussies can attack over 5 sea zones! A bit difficult to follow - they can start in Australia and kill Japanese transports near Korea in the same turn.

I enjoy the discussion, nikola!
    You make a great point. To your point that Italian can-openers are nothing new, I say the same about ANZAC planes on US carriers - nothing new there either.
    To your point that ANZAC planes can start in Australia and kill Japanese transports near Korea in the same turn, I say that the ANZAC planes had to land on the American carriers the previous turn. Then Japan goes. Then America goes, moving the carriers up to 3 spaces. Then ANZAC goes.

On Japan’s turn, therefore, the ANZAC planes are on the carriers. If leaving defenseless transports, the Japan player needs to consider where the American carriers can move, and where the ANZAC planes can move after that.
    Nasty, but totally legal.

Watch out with Triple A, though, where the ANZAC color is close to the same as the USA color!

• 2024 2023 '22 '21

@gamerman01 Yeah, these colors… Too often I assumed the wrong nationality of ships next to Australia, LOL. Thats why I now have the setting that a small nation’s flag shows near the units.

Flags.jpg

• N nikola1975 referenced this topic on

• @martin

This combo is strong, not only due to colours, but because you really need to watch the whole Pacific - there is no safe place anymore for Japanese.

But, we could create a thread with “nasty but legal tactics”, as you called it, @gamerman01.

One that really made me angry was the fighter attack “over” the wall of ships. Let me explain. Germans were essentially locked in the Mediteranean, with my strong US fleet at Gibraltar. They had fighter on the carrier just inside Pillars of Heracles, launched the attack of a single sub to the whole US fleet of 20 ships, and on basis of that, were able to launch the fighter to sink 10 US transports, 3 sea zones away, at West Indies :)

Something like this:
    d080735c-7e97-4ce4-a76c-0bc3c8f7913d-image.png

The explanation was that the sub had tried to break through and if it would have succeeded (?!), the carrier could go through and take the fighter. I was seeing it as sending to a suicide mission - I was wrong obviously. :cry: :face_with_head_bandage:

• @martin said in ANZAC planes on US carriers:

@gamerman01 Yeah, these colors… Too often I assumed the wrong nationality of ships next to Australia, LOL. Thats why I now have the setting that a small nation’s flag shows near the units.

Brilliant. I always look at the number of ANZAC units in the tab, and locate them all over the map to make sure I’m not missing any of the buggers. Your solution is probably better.

• @nikola1975 said in ANZAC planes on US carriers:

@martin

This combo is strong, not only due to colours, but because you really need to watch the whole Pacific - there is no safe place anymore for Japanese.

But, we could create a thread with “nasty but legal tactics”, as you called it, @gamerman01.

One that really made me angry was the fighter attack “over” the wall of ships. Let me explain. Germans were essentially locked in the Mediteranean, with my strong US fleet at Gibraltar. They had fighter on the carrier just inside Pillars of Heracles, launched the attack of a single sub to the whole US fleet of 20 ships, and on basis of that, were able to launch the fighter to sink 10 US transports, 3 sea zones away, at West Indies :)

The explanation was that the sub had tried to break through and if it would have succeeded (?!), the carrier could go through and take the fighter. I was seeing it as sending to a suicide mission - I was wrong obviously. :cry: :face_with_head_bandage:

BRILLIANT post nikola. Your opponent has a lot of experience and strong grasp of the rules. Looks like you learned a couple of them the hard way. Very hard. But now you won’t be caught by this many times in the future, and you can use the A&A rules, though quirky, to your advantage!

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18

@martin said in ANZAC planes on US carriers:

Yeah, these colors… Too often I assumed the wrong nationality of ships next to Australia, LOL. Thats why I now have the setting that a small nation’s flag shows near the units.

Something else that I find helpful is to go into the units folder and then use pant.net or something to flip the ANZAC ships so they point the opposite way

• 2024 2023 '22 '15 '11 '10 Official Q&A Moderator

There is another thing to consider with an ally’s planes on your carriers.

You are giving up some of the potential attack power on the carrier owner’s turn. If it was loaded with his (the carrier owner’s) planes, the carrier owner would have more attack power on his turn AND/OR more space on the carriers to land his planes. If you put an ally’s planes on a different power’s carriers, you are trading reduced attack power and carrier capacity for your own planes, for nasty tactics like this.

Other powers, especially the US with the UK, can do the exact same thing.

• @gamerman01 Yes, I understand and agree. I think these are better suited for Pacific, because US fleet does not need to be offensive most of the time. At least not offensive in big battles, they can pick Japanese smaller groups around. When defending, Allied fighters will still shoot.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21

@barnee Well that’s cool - thanks a lot! Although this website doesn’t work anymore. But I guess Photoshop will do the job as well.

• 2024 2023 '22 '15 '11 '10 Official Q&A Moderator

Indeed.

However, UK planes on US carriers could hammer Berlin and take the German capital. Especially if US takes Denmark, moves UK planes on carrier in range of Berlin, and UK transports along with extra planes perhaps unforeseen or not anticipated by the Axis player. And BOOM - Berlin captured.

But you are right about the Pacific being more vast and having more sneaky possibilities with ANZAC

• Especially sneaky if US carriers are in 91 with UK planes.

3 spaces to 112, UK planes in range of Berlin and back to carrier if other territories in Europe are not allied controlled.

@martin said in ANZAC planes on US carriers:

@barnee Well that’s cool - thanks a lot! Although this website doesn’t work anymore. But I guess Photoshop will do the job as well.

yea I would think any image editor will do the job. Doesn’t take very long. Might even ask @simon33 if he wants to add them next time he does any update. Think he still takes care of the map for triplea

@Martin actually here they are you just need to replace em.

battleship.png
    battleship_hit.png
    carrier.png
    carrier_hit.png
    cruiser.png
    destroyer.png
    submarine.png

Didn’t bother with super sub :)

• '19 '17 '16

@barnee is anything changed there or are they just the Anzac images reproduced?

@simon33 no nothing changed. They just face the other way now

@barnee oops forgot trprt transport.png

• '19 '17 '16

Right. But that represents Axis, so that change should not be made.

• @martin said in ANZAC planes on US carriers:

I think @barnee referred to https://getpaint.net/ , the homepage of the free software “paint .net”.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m