• Does anyone have any proven unorthodox strategies they want to share?

• I think that statement is a bit of an oxymoron.  Unorthodox strats for the most part usually come into play for various situations, or else they would not be calle “unorthodox”.

• @!ACHTUNG!:

Does anyone have any proven unorthodox strategies they want to share?

I have a russian strat I call the “Red Octobre” that I want to share. So basically when I play Russia I purchase 3 subs in Turn 1 and place them in the Black Sea, and after combat I land all my aircrafts in Caucasus too. So in Turn 2 I attack the Italian fleet with 3 subs and 2 planes. Usually this is enough to sink the Regia Marina, butt if the battleship survive, then some UK bombers will finish it off and land in Caucasus later.

The big point with this strat is to sink the Italian fleet as soon as possible, and the only way to do this is with russian subs. Now if you play a traditional Russia and buy infantry only, then Uk must buy a lot of bombers and try to sink the fleet themselves, butt that will not happen until turn 3 or 4, and then the UK bombers have no place to land since Caucasus will be occupied by Axis. So in you next tourney game just try this strat out, and I promise you victory.

• Another unorthodox russian strategy that have served me well, is to purchase a carrier and place it in the Black Sea and land your two fighters on it. Now it is impossible for the Italian navy to successfully attack Caucasus in Turn 1.

• @!ACHTUNG!:

I also have an unorthodox UK strategy, that I am the only one in Norway to use on a regulare basis. I call it “The Persian Plunge”. On UK turn 1, I purchase a factory and place it in Persia. Of course I also move all surveving brith units to Persia. Then I purchase one fighter every turn and place it in Persia. When Japan come close with a big stack, Russia can move some infantry from Caucasus to support the Persian Plunge.

Now the traditional UK turn 1 factory is India, butt as you propably noticed too, it cant be hold very long, and the final result is you gave Japan a free factory on turn 3. You could place the factory on South Africa or Australia, butt then you’ll need two freekin trannies to shuck your men to where the action is. So in your next game, do consider “The Persian Plunge” and please gimme some appluauds. That is if you dig the strat, man.

• I have thought about the Red October and at different times considered naval units in the Black sea, just didn’t do it. I’ll have to experiment with that. IT could come in handy using Russian sea strat, as I hope Russia has some naval presence in AA40. Persia sounds like it could work too. If you did lose it the enemy would have a hard time keeping it, only producing 1 unit per round and all.
    Larry said the Middle East will be worth more in AA40 (oil). I wonder if your Persian strat will become more mainstream, with some 2 ipc tt there (minor IC). Unless he was talking about some kind of Middle East NO bonus.

• Red October and Persian Plunge sounds very interesting.

Aldertag what is th Germany/Italy/Japan counter/response to your moves?

Also is it viable for both settings 1941 and 1942?

• @cannon:

Also is it viable for both settings 1941 and 1942?

The map did not change, now did it ? As long as the map is the same for both settings, any main strategy is viable for both settings. Strategy is all about supply.

• @cannon:

Aldertag what is th Germany/Italy/Japan counter/response to your moves?

You know, people ask me this all the time. I have to tell them to use their brains. So lets say we are Japan, and some retard place a UK factory in Persia. He also move all UK units in range to Persia, for a total of 5 inf and 2 fighters. From turn 2 he will place a new fighter in Persia every turn, and Russia might just move 4 infantry every turn in to support. Now since strategy is all about supply, then we too have to put some factories in that neighbourhood. We could put one in India and another one in Burma for a total of 5 new units every turn and that will match the allied 1+4. The problem is that the allies already got ahead in production, so we need more factories to counter that, and by that time Persia is full of fighters who want to sink our ships.

Now let us think…the Persian Plunge is just like the Maginot Line, right ? You dont want to make a frontal attack, now do you ? Since the odds are against you, right ? So what did the t

• What I try to say is forgett about south Asia and go the northern route through Sibir. The best counter to a UK factory in Persia is a Japan factory in Manchuria

• @Adlertag:

Another unorthodox russian strategy that have served me well, is to purchase a carrier and place it in the Black Sea and land your two fighters on it. Now it is impossible for the Italian navy to successfully attack Caucasus in Turn 1.

Hi Aldertag, I am a little confused about this one as in 41 set-up Russia does not have any planes to start with I believe.  :?
    42 I think has one, but cannot remember.  :?
    Can you clarify?
    The idea is intriging though.  :-D

• @Adlertag:

@!ACHTUNG!:

I have a russian strat I call the “Red Octobre” that I want to share. So basically when I play Russia I purchase 3 subs in Turn 1 and place them in the Black Sea, and after combat I land all my aircrafts in Caucasus too. So in Turn 2 I attack the Italian fleet with 3 subs and 2 planes. Usually this is enough to sink the Regia Marina, butt if the battleship survive, then some UK bombers will finish it off and land in Caucasus later.

The big point with this strat is to sink the Italian fleet as soon as possible, and the only way to do this is with russian subs. Now if you play a traditional Russia and buy infantry only, then Uk must buy a lot of bombers and try to sink the fleet themselves, butt that will not happen until turn 3 or 4, and then the UK bombers have no place to land since Caucasus will be occupied by Axis. So in you next tourney game just try this strat out, and I promise you victory.

Also wanted to mention that the subs in the Black Sea is a kick a** idea, because they are cheap, and the Italians have no destroyer, so they would have to purchase one on their first turn to counter, that is what I would do otherwise the subs get their sneak attacks.
    Does this strat diminish the Russian front against the Germans? Where they able to take advantage?
    I think I will try it to see, if nothing else the Axis player will be sweating and it may just screw them up with Italy. :lol:

• @Panzer:

Does this strat diminish the Russian front against the Germans? Where they able to take advantage?

This game is all about balance. The Allied nr 1 priority is to sink the Italian fleet in order to protect the African income. It dont matter who sink this fleet, as long as it hit the bottom. Now if Russia sink it with cheap subs in turn 2, then UK will save the expensive bombers and use her resources to pressure Germany up north. So you see, the Huns are not able to take advantage of a Russian all naval build, because the brits will harass them.

• @Panzer:

Hi Aldertag, I am a little confused about this one as in 41 set-up Russia does not have any planes to start with I believe.  :?

You are correct as always. Russia dont start with fighters, so we need to gather some. Since a carrier cost 14 IPC and a fighter cost 10 IPC, at a total of 24 IPC, you just might cover it in your first purchase. But you still miss one fighter. So how about borrow one from UK ? Land the Egypt or Indian fighter on your russian carrier. I say, you do land your Indian fighter on the US carrier at Hawaii now and then, so why not try to land it on the russian carrier for a change ? Or UK get long range tech and fly a fighter from UK to the carrier. Or you play russia with a bid, just big enough to cover a carrier with two figs. There are so many ways. I bet you dont win many games, now do you ? I mean, with your attitude. Wow. People mail me every day, and ask, Adlertag please teach me how to win. And I tell them

• must be something f¤#k1#% wrong with my PC, or this message board, since it freeze before I am finished typing. Butt OK, back to topic. As I said, always play aggressivly. Always attack if able. That is the only way to win. This is what I teach my students. You dont win if you are a laid-back retard. Dont mind the dice, this game is not about luck. Its like a fist-fight on your local pub. The aggressive guy always win, and the nice guy get knocked out because he dont punch back. This lesson dont come for free, so you better applaud me 3 times a day this week. My goal is to reach 800 + karmas.

• Adlertag,  I’ll try your Red October and/or the Persian Plunge.  When I win I’ll tell them it was your idea.  If I could, I would give you karma.  Isn’t it the thought that counts?

@Adlertag:

must be something f¤#k1#% wrong with my PC, or this message board, since it freeze before I am finished typing. Butt OK, back to topic. As I said, always play aggressivly. Always attack if able. That is the only way to win. This is what I teach my students. You dont win if you are a laid-back retard. Dont mind the dice, this game is not about luck. Its like a fist-fight on your local pub. The aggressive guy always win, and the nice guy get knocked out because he dont punch back. This lesson dont come for free, so you better applaud me 3 times a day this week. My goal is to reach 800 + karmas.

• @cannon:

Adlertag,  I’ll try your Red October and/or the Persian Plunge.  When I win I’ll tell them it was your idea.  If I could, I would give you karma.  Isn’t it the thought that counts?

Well, “thought’s” and “wish’es” dont put food on your table, now do it ? You are just a kid, right ? Ask your dad how he pays the bills. I guess it is by hard working. Now you start posting like 10 each day and you can start applauding me before Christmas. That is better than just “thought’s”.

Oh noooo, that aint my idea, it was my buddy Frog that first come up with that strats, man

• @Adlertag:

must be something f¤#k1#% wrong with my PC, or this message board, since it freeze before I am finished typing. Butt OK, back to topic. As I said, always play aggressivly. Always attack if able. That is the only way to win. This is what I teach my students. You dont win if you are a laid-back retard. Dont mind the dice, this game is not about luck. Its like a fist-fight on your local pub. The aggressive guy always win, and the nice guy get knocked out because he dont punch back. This lesson dont come for free, so you better applaud me 3 times a day this week. My goal is to reach 800 + karmas.

I totally agree with this. I think it’s been tempting for the allies to ‘consolidate’ round 1. Get pieces in position to start attrition by round 2. But you have to take the initiative against the axis ASAP. The red october strat is something worth trying I guess. Just one question though - although 3 subs get their first shots - they are all at ‘1’. Surely the Italian fleet can absorb 1 hit (with the battleship) and then rolls two 3’s and a 4.

Thereby sending the Russian subs to the bottom?

If this is coupled with Germany hitting Egypt hard Rnd 1 and eliminating the UK forces there…

Of course I realise as I write this you would submerge subs as soon as the Italians attacked! However - even with three 2’s on the Russian counter attack (round 2) the Battleship could absorb 1 hit…

I see the red october presents a challenge to the Italians - but it maybe worth going the whole hog and buy 4 subs and 2 inf for Russia round 1… That would pin the Italians down for a turn…

Adler - do you play on the forums? Do you have any games (or know of any) where this tactic was used successfully?

• Customizer

The odds of the “Red October” strategy working (which i define as Russians sinking the Italian transport) breaks down as follows

Russians with 3 subs - 15%
    Russians with 4 subs - 42%

1941 (with 1st round Italian purchase of a destroyer)
    Russians with 3 subs - 2%
    Russians with 4 subs - 11%

Russians with 3 subs & 1 fighter - 39%
    Russians with 3 subs & 1 Bomber - 49%
    Russians with 3 subs, 1 fighter, & 1 Bomber - 80%
    Russians with 4 subs & 1 fighter - 70%
    Russians with 4 subs & 1 Bomber - 78%
    Russians with 4 subs, 1 fighter, & 1 Bomber - 94%
    1942 (with German destroyer defending Italians or Italian 1st Round purchase of a destroyer)
    Russians with 3 subs & 1 fighter - 13%
    Russians with 3 subs & 1 Bomber - 17%
    Russians with 3 subs, 1 fighter, & 1 Bomber - 49%
    Russians with 4 subs & 1 fighter - 35%
    Russians with 4 subs & 1 Bomber - 46%
    Russians with 4 subs, 1 fighter, & 1 Bomber - 75%

1942 (with German destroyer defending Italians & Italian 1st round purchase of a destroyer)
    Russians with 3 subs & 1 fighter - 3%
    Russians with 3 subs & 1 Bomber - 4%
    Russians with 3 subs, 1 fighter, & 1 Bomber - 23%
    Russians with 4 subs & 1 fighter - 13%
    Russians with 4 subs & 1 Bomber - 19%
    Russians with 4 subs, 1 fighter, & 1 Bomber - 49%

To sum it up, the “Red October” strategy is only viable in 1942 and only if

1. Germany does not destroy the Russian fighter in Karilia during G1
    2. Germany leaves it’s Mediterranean destroyer unguarded at the end of G1
    3. The allies can successfully sink the unguarded German Destroyer during Round 1.
         3a) If the Russians attack it’s bomber cannot be destroyed.
    4. The Russians build 4 Submarines R1 (We assume that the Italians will build a destroyer during I1. in response to the Russian Naval build)
    5. Russians attack with 4 submarines, 1 fighter, & 1 bomber.

Chance of sucess if all these conditions are met: 75% with 2.41 Russian units left.

• I’ll start working hard sir!!!

Who’s frog.

@Adlertag:

@cannon:

Adlertag,  I’ll try your Red October and/or the Persian Plunge.  When I win I’ll tell them it was your idea.  If I could, I would give you karma.  Isn’t it the thought that counts?

Well, “thought’s” and “wish’es” dont put food on your table, now do it ? You are just a kid, right ? Ask your dad how he pays the bills. I guess it is by hard working. Now you start posting like 10 each day and you can start applauding me before Christmas. That is better than just “thought’s”.

Oh noooo, that aint my idea, it was my buddy Frog that first come up with that strats, man

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m