Global 1942 Scenario by Larry Harris

• @dead-head said in Global 1942 Scenario by Larry Harris:

Hey all.
    New to the forums. Love Axis & Allies. I have played several board versions, TripleA and steam.

Going to play Larrys Global 1942 setup in a couple of weeks on a lovely LT.Dan / Siredblood map print.
    Is Larrys 1942 variant still considered to be a fairly balanced setup by the community?
    I find it a bit weird that the US player so easily can take out two german subs before the german player can use them at all.
    I want that destroyer in SZ 101 to be a cruiser, lol.

No. I’m doing a advance 42 game. I’m looking at in my setup moving 1 German sub from Baltic (3 on Setup) ( have convoy boxes) to the sea zone in Atlantic ( 2 subs already there ) where they have the option of bringing 3 subs to US coast and only 2 going towards UK fleet turn 1. Since if this game does start technically early 42 then Germany was at there peak in subs in the Atlantic. The German bomber stays in Berlin plus I have a paratrooper there to give Germany another option for that bomber.

• '21 '20 '18 '17

@dead-head

They are playing BBR on his map this weekend.

I’m headed to Gencon to play in the G42 tournament. It is worth playing and those two subs have killed the dd before. If you feel that its imbalanced you can use a bid. Its a faster game–and you can use the tournament rules to keep it to 8 turns/1 day, I recommend it.

https://headlesshorseman2.com/uploads/3/4/0/0/34000156/glenoverlot42.6.21.pdf

• Where is the setup charts for this ?

• @general-6-stars

https://headlesshorseman2.com/uploads/3/4/0/0/34000156/glenoversetupplan2021_8.31.pdf

its been around for a long time. It isn’t perfect but its faster and cleaner than G40 (I’d actually mod G42 before G40). And it is canon in that it has Larry Harris bless and playtest by the original crew.

• Thanks for the replies Y’all.
    @taamvan GL on Gencon! And thank you for the updated setup-chart. I see a few changes on the german side.

• '21 '20 '18 '17

@dead-head

its easy to forget there are no factories on normandy and southern france too, in that version. Also the turn order is different. Lots of welcome changes.

• 1942 is a good game for timed games or games that you want to finish in one day. 1940 on the other hand has way more openings and variants that 1942. Because of this 1940 is best played in email rather than live. For 9 years we would play 1940 in a live format every Easter in a 2 day game session. At the end of the 2 day game sessions we still only had one or two games that came close to being completed. Some 1940 strategies require the game to proceed more than 10 rounds or more. In fact after taking data from the forum online games most games ended on turn 15 or so. This takes way to long to play in one day or even 2 days. 1942 solves this problem and still keeps the game strategic and interesting but 1940 still has more possible openings and endings.

• '21 '20 '18 '17

@cyanight

Good point. We often end G40 games by surrender/mutual agreement, but there are a variety of skill levels and so some players wither. The bloodbath, mark movel victory card and Young Grasshopper systems also address this by reducing it to an 8-10 turn game, and are based on G40.

• @taamvan
    We always play the the Larry Harris 1942 setup. I notice here that it shows an update from Greg Smorey and Kevin Chapman. Looks like one extra uboat and one extra German tank in Libya. Is this setup approved by Larry Harris?

• @lincolnhawk

that makes something they said make more sense.

a recent email clarified that the setup changes are reverted, though until now i didnt know what they were

• @lincolnhawk here’s oztea’s version if you want to mix it up once in a while

https://www.axisandallies.org/forums/topic/20575/oztea-s-1942-global-setup?_=1657726369009

• S SuperbattleshipYamato referenced this topic on

• The global 1942 scenario is different and exciting, but also looks biased to favor the Allies.

I’m intrigued by Germany’s situation, stretched thin against an upcoming Soviet onslaught.

What are main moves and strategies that Germany should use to fight USSR and UK?

Many thanks for any teachings and insights into Germany’s options here.

• @phd_angel

With Germany in Global 42 this is what I like to do. Turn one you need to purchase an aircraft carrier. This allows you to attack the UK battleship and transport on turn one with the two planes from western Germany, 2 subs and a cruiser. I also buy an airbase on turn one. This goes on Greece. On combat movement take the infantry and tank from southern Europe to cypress to deny the UK national objective. Make sure to land 3 German fighters or tactical bombers on Greece to defend the two German boats. The airbase and fighters make it hard for the UK to hone in on any of the German or Italian boats. In this version I use Germany to get Italy kick started in the Mediterranean. Regarding Russia for the first few turns I try and use dead zones and reposition/consolidate my forces.

• @LincolnHawk said in Global 1942 Scenario by Larry Harris:

@phd_angel

With Germany in Global 42 this is what I like to do. Turn one you need to purchase an aircraft carrier. This allows you to attack the UK battleship and transport on turn one with the two planes from western Germany, 2 subs and a cruiser. I also buy an airbase on turn one. This goes on Greece. On combat movement take the infantry and tank from southern Europe to cypress to deny the UK national objective. Make sure to land 3 German fighters or tactical bombers on Greece to defend the two German boats. The airbase and fighters make it hard for the UK to hone in on any of the German or Italian boats. In this version I use Germany to get Italy kick started in the Mediterranean. Regarding Russia for the first few turns I try and use dead zones and reposition/consolidate my forces.

Thanks for your insights. Purchasing an aircraft carrier to enable an aero-naval battle is an interesting proposition but sounds too expensive to be justified. I followed your other advice and I built an Air Base (in Holland though). I found it helpful but too expensive. I wonder if you underestimated Russia vis-a-vis UK?..

• @LincolnHawk said in Global 1942 Scenario by Larry Harris:

@phd_angel

With Germany in Global 42 this is what I like to do. Turn one you need to purchase an aircraft carrier. This allows you to attack the UK battleship and transport on turn one with the two planes from western Germany, 2 subs and a cruiser. I also buy an airbase on turn one. This goes on Greece.

I’ve done similar buys. This scenario is really 1943 and you have to treat it that way. Germany has lost the initiative and has to figure out how to get it back. It’s a totally different game from 1940.

• @siparo does anyone know know what the standard bid is towards the Axis in this game?? Looking to test it out with a group for the first time and my initial impression is that it is heavily weighted towards the allies, although keeping Japan in check is going to be quite challenging.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m