ABH and Crockett36, (A+100) tutor game

• 2024 2023 '22 '19 '18

Btw peeps, I am convinced that helping the British isles is not the way to go with a bid. Expensive and not enough bang for your buck. The Germans do so well t1 that they are just as able to kill a fleet t2.

• @crockett36. Having 1 fighter in Scotland is usually sufficient to preserve a UK fleet group. An additional sub to sink the Italian fleet on UK1 is also a big reward on investment. After that, I like ground units to clean up Africa, and units in Asia to slow down the Japanese.

In this UK turn, double check your calculations on the fleet next to Gibraltar. It can be hit be a big German air strike and obliterated. Make sure the sacrifice is not in vain if you do leave the ships there.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20

I don’t see the need to sacrifice fleets for planes at this point. The fleet at the mouth of Gibraltar is the most important kill for Germany/Italy. It keeps the US out of the Med, because even with 2 CVs (I see your point on needing the second), without the other units they can be sunk and now we are down 2 fleets.

We tried for Gibraltar. Lost. So just regroup. Putting all the ships at the mouth is just doubling down with bad money.

Egypt. IDK. Perhaps the naval buy will see us through. I hate 50-50, 70-30 battles–that have large implications on outcome.
    I would buy 1 trans vice 1 SS (we have an extra $1). That will help with putting pressure on Gibraltar.

I wouldn’t take Tobruk. We don’t need it. It’s worthless, and lets the Italians kill a guy on a turn where we aren’t buying land units.
    I would send a guy to Italian Somaliland. Prevents any landing spots for Axis Med air.
    Why did transport goto SZ72. If anything, continue to S. Africa so we can shuttle guys north.
    Why not have tank attack Iraq? Could also bring tac and land in TJ. We’ll have enough guys to cover TJ from bomber attack, if that was tried.

• 2024 2023 '22 '19 '18

4.2.22brit2nddraft.tsvg

On the one hand this strategy goes right at supremacy of the Med and makes him engage in an arms race there or a battle in which he is only the slight favorite. Meanwhile his casualties are air and my two fleets are waiting in the wings.

On the other hand, it does nothing about Gibraltar. I still like it better than buying two transports and fretting over G. If he commits to G further, Russia must make him pay. Or the British in the North Sea. And obviously the Americans will gladly exchange cannon balls, infantry and artillery for figs.

Btw, I couldn’t edit the Chinese fig out of Burma. You did want to post up in SZech, right?

• 2024 2023 '22 '19 '18

Oh the air base is going into TJ.

• 2024 2023 '22 '19 '18

btw, ABH! Was Gibraltar an oversight or unavoidable? Killing The transport off S America was quite a feat. I hate you. Good play.

• @crockett36 you should have been able to hold on to Gibraltar the first turn if the UK had flown some planes there and/or put some ground troops on it with a transport. Perhaps even build an airbase to make the amphibious landing difficult to support for Italy.

I have also seen many top players choose to station their Med fleet next to Gibraltar on UK1 instead of attacking one of the main Italian fleets. Italy is left with a big combined fleet but can’t leave port as it gets sunk without having airbase protection. Eventually the Italian Navy gets crushed in the mid-game as Allied air power becomes overwhelming.

If you hadn’t opted to attack Gibraltar on US2, I would have generally abandoned the defense on G3 as it would have been very costly to have held on for another turn. I don’t think, though, that I now can pass up the opportunity to sink that transport and cruiser, and give another round of Italian bonus.

• @crockett36 Maybe if this was the mid-game, you could talk about “Russia making him pay”, but this is round 2. We have to hold out until the Allies (US) can fully mobilize and really push. The UK Atlantic fleet is cruisers and battleship–good for amphib assaults, not so go at defending against air, but can support the US CVs. Don’t sacrifice them now. We can use them with UK transports to get free hits against the Axis. We want a meat grinder and those are good unit for that.

• 2024 2023 '22 '19 '18

• @crockett36 double check that India can’t be captured next round. I haven’t done the math, but it looked a bit risky with the current level of defense.

• @arthur-bomber-harris I think it is 50-50 with current units. Probably not good. More importantly, Burma can be taken down and then in position to take India next round regardless.
    We have our gains in Shan State, so back off. I would like to stay, but just not strong enough yet.
    Need to put in 1 inf to make India a 25-75 battle. But then the guys in Burma are even more exposed.
    Retreat to India and make the assault a non-issue.
    Could put like 3 inf + 1AA in Burma. Japan could attack them but would need to pull transports out of the DEI and slow growth. But probably best not to tease the tiger.

I would have sent sb to Kenya, but definitely landed in TJ.
    Still need to move transports. UK SZ76 -> S. Africa.
    US SZ26-> SZ30.
    No need to 2 Subs in SZ125. Keep the UK with Fleet (SZ109) so that we can have options to enter med.
    No need for tac in Szechwan. Chinese are safe and putting the tac in India gives mobility options.

• @surfer check again for India. I have 7 air units that can reach, one loaded transport, and naval bombardments. I saw a 99% chance of victory if I am not mistaken on legal moves.

• @arthur-bomber-harris

I was offering an early calcutta as bait, figuring that I would be able crush the victor (burma force retakes India) separate the navy into pieces and perhaps cause a mistake that my 54 navy can exploit.

• 2024 2023 '22 '19 '18

I do not think that would be a good japanese move. It’s premature. If the japs blitzed burma simultaneously, it could succeed as long as they get every unit. Otherwise retake is likely.

I would move the diver to burma.

Perhaps I don’t need to do all this. I just like to mess up the enemy’s script.

I ll work on revising.

• @crockett36 if you think it is a bad move for Japan to take India, leave the units as you desire. I just wanted to point it out in case this was an accidental mistake.

I haven’t done a thorough analysis to see if it is a good or bad move for Japan as I would be leaving the money islands open for recapture.

• 2024 2023 '22 '19 '18

4.2.22brit3rddraft.tsvg

a slight tweak, making retake more probable.

• 2024 2023 '22 '19 '18

4.5.22britnc.tsvg

I can empty burma. I haaaaate being off the front line. but i can do it.

• @crockett36 what about the planes in n africa? I want to project power as much as possible.

• @crockett36 ready to finalize the turn?

• @arthur-bomber-harris Not quite.

Surfer, looking for confirmation on burma where I did a half & half. The planes in Mor make London weak without real effect since UK has no transport to use next turn. And I’m worried that this move opens back up the sealion door.4.7.22uk2.tsvg

this is a go.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m