Global 2nd edition Q+A ( AAG40.2)

• Official Q&A

@sovietishcat said in Global 2nd edition Q+A ( AAG40.2):

But then the tt cannot do anything else afterwards? Ie if I move my tt out of the sea zone, I cannot load it with units and lets say activate a Pro allies or pro axis territory.

or load units and leave the sea zone ( not doing a amphibious assault), because you are doing a non combat move in a combat move phase.

No. The only way units may be loaded and/or offloaded during combat movement is for an amphibious assault.

• '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

@krieghund Thank you, this is what we have waited for.

Now it is filled! :grinning:

The Sub hack prevents the opponent from load and offloading accordingly and hinders it. Yes you can amphib and therefor load and off load, but you can’t use the involved TT for offloading normaly, and that is what this was all about.

• '19

Thank you Krieghund for your help and time!

• I have another Global 1940 2E rule clarification question. This one may sound stupid. If you purchase a Minor IC at the beginning of a turn, then move one land unit into a friendly neutral territory that is worth 2ipcs, can you PLACE your newly purchased Minor IC on the “claimed” friendly neutral on the same turn?

I read a post on this forum dating back to 2013 which advocates germany purchasing a minor IC turn 1, moving an infantry into finland, and then placing that minor IC in finland. I dont think its a good idea, I just want to know if it is a legal move.
    Another application (if this move is legal) would be ULK transporting a tank and infantry to friendly neutral greece, and placing a minor IC down in greece (same turn)

Please advise.

• '19 '17 '16

@greyleaf2

From Eur rules, p23:
    “Move the newly purchased units from the mobilization zone on the game board to eligible spaces you have controlled
    since the start of your turn.”

So since you would be putting the industrial complex on the board in the “Mobilize New Units” phase, you fail this test.

That was kind of hard to find.

• '22 '21

In G40, if a defender has a sub And destroyer, the attacker has a Sub and some planes but no attacking destroyer, doesn’t the defending Sub with it’s First strike Fire first before the attacking Sub?

• @nolimit I can’t see why it would go before the attacking sub.

• '22 '21

@lennardf Not Me, but My opponent eventually Saw the light though!!!😁

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20

@Nolimit I think your interpretation is correct.
    Sub surprise strikes happen before the main combat rounds
    Destroyers prevent surprise strikes

So in this case the defender’s side has a DD so the attacking sub does not get a surprise strike, but the attacker’s side does not have a DD, so the defending sub will surprise strike

https://www.axisandallies.org/forums/topic/13666/submarine-alpha-2-rules/2

• Yep surfer

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18

Tried searching and all I get is “No Matches Found” lol

Is a transport considered a surface warship for the Italian Mediterranean Objective

Thanks

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20

@barnee Nope. A warship = surface vessel with attack value. Not sure where this is in the rules so if you want to wait for someone more proficient in rules to weigh in, I understand.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20

@barnee But you can improve your search results by looking in “Titles and Posts” rather than just the default “Titles”. Several posts describe warships.

• @barnee said in Global 2nd edition Q+A ( AAG40.2):

Tried searching and all I get is “No Matches Found” lol

Is a transport considered a surface warship for the Italian Mediterranean Objective

Thanks

Searching the PDF-rulebooks is easier. While there are many mentions of the fact in the rulebook, the most clear definiton is given on page 31 Europe 1940.2, unit profiles, sea units:

“For the sake of these rules, the following are surface warships: battleships, carriers, cruisers, and destroyers. Transports are not warships. Submarines are warships, but they are not surface warships.”

@panther @surfer Thank You

@panther said in Global 2nd edition Q+A ( AAG40.2):

“For the sake of these rules, the following are surface warships: battleships, carriers,
    cruisers, and destroyers. Transports are not warships. Submarines are warships, but they are not surface warships.”

Edit

Yes this is what I was missing. I went to the Objectives

• 5 IPCs if there are no Allied surface warships in the Mediterranean sea (sea zones 92 through 99). Theme:
    Propaganda and strategic advantage

I surprise myself to this day by missing the obvious lol

Still don’t know why my search didn’t return a result lol

• @barnee A reasonable improvement to the rules would be:

if there are no Allied surface warships (battleships, carriers,
    cruisers, and destroyers)

• PantherP Panther forked this topic on

• I can’t find the rule(s) that tell about:
    When a unit of one ally is on another ally’s transport - can the ground unit amphibiously assault from the ally’s transport when it is his turn?
    If so, can the defender scramble against it? If so, what if the attacker has no naval or air units in the zone to support it? Does the defending fighter stop the amphibious assault? Surely it doesn’t destroy anything… (the offloading ground unit or the ally’s transport)?

Thanks - somebody asked me and we weren’t sure, and now it’s applicable in my game. Seems like it wouldn’t even be a very rare situation…
    For anyone reading, I understand there may be a house rule for “balanced mod 4”, but I am playing “balanced mod 3” and I believe it uses the 2nd edition rulebook for this situation.

I scoured the 2nd edition rulebook in what I thought were all the applicable sections, and I couldn’t figure out how to apply them to amphibious assaults from ally’s transports - I only saw the rule that says you can share aircraft carriers and transports with your allies… Thanks!!

• @gamerman01 The only rules in the Rulebook specific to this situation are on page 21 (Europe) where it talks about multi-national forces, saying that your units load onto and offload from your ally’s transport on your turn. The FAQ elaborates further, saying this:

Q. Say the United Kingdom launches an amphibious assault from a US transport without any supporting UK sea or air units in the sea zone, and then the defender scrambles. What happens?
    A. In effect, nothing happens. The US transport doesn’t participate in the sea battle because it’s not the US’s turn. Since there are no attacking sea or air units, there is no sea battle. However, the sea zone can’t be cleared of defending combat units, so the amphibious assault can’t proceed.

• Perfect!!! We didn’t have the FAQ - that is the exact answer I needed - Thank you for the amazingly fast response, and can you point me to the FAQ please? For bonus points? Thanks again!!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m