http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090831/ap_on_bi_ge/us_disney_marvel_entertainment

Wasn’t expecting this, so what do you think are the implications of this purchase?

GG

• Marvel will suck then. Disney will not allow many of the controversial themes of Marvel Universe. I mean, can you imagine Disney making the complex approach Norman Osborn receives in Dark Reign and Tunderbolts? What can we expect? A Hanna Montana-style girl meets Spiderman and becomes his new girlfriend? (Spiderman is in so bad shape that even that could not hurt his comics more that NBD cataclism but even so…) You will not get sexy scenes as Veranke vs Stark in Secret Invasion or any of the Emma Frost dress, and I don’t want think what they plan to do with She-Hulk (maybe a castity ring?  :-P )

More seriously, Disney is playing Monopoly. Maybe their next move is buy DC?

• @Funcioneta:

More seriously, Disney is playing Monopoly. Maybe their next move is buy DC?

YAY! Finally Mickey, Superman and the X-men can join forces to stop Venoms and The Joker’s evil plot to kidnap Minnie Mouse!

• My hope is that we won’t even notice. But what I hope and what occurs are often dissimilar.

• I can’t write a response with this hot Evony ad destracting my mind. That lady in white is hot!

• I don’t think it will be an issue.  DC Comics is owned by Warner bros. and it’s been fine.  The DC movies have been pretty mature (Batman Begins, Dark Knight, Watchmen).

Also, Disney owns Miramax films, and I feel like they’ve released quite a few movies that weren’t censored or kiddified:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miramax_Films#List_of_Select_Miramax_films

Reservoir Dogs
    Clerks
    The Crow
    Pulp Fiction
    Trainspotting
    Gangs of New York
    Kill Bill
    No Country for Old Men
    There Will Be Blood

Just to name a few.

Besides, I’ve not really been interested in Marvel for some time.  Wildstorm, Image and manga have been more my thing lately.

• Ha, I just ran across this:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/42204

• @Jermofoot:

I don’t think it will be an issue.  DC Comics is owned by Warner bros. and it’s been fine.  The DC movies have been pretty mature (Batman Begins, Dark Knight, Watchmen).

Also, Disney owns Miramax films, and I feel like they’ve released quite a few movies that weren’t censored or kiddified:

Reservoir Dogs
    Clerks
    The Crow
    Pulp Fiction
    Trainspotting
    Gangs of New York
    Kill Bill
    No Country for Old Men
    There Will Be Blood

Good point. However, I hope they are not going to do crappy things as Kill Bill  :-P. That movie is the 2nd worst piece of crap I have seen, only slighty better than Torrente series (you anglosaxons have really luck of not having to suffer the bad jokes of Santiago Segura, Blade killed him in Blade 2 for a good reason  :-D ). Gangs of New York and No Country for Old Men are way better indeed

• @Funcioneta:

@Jermofoot:

I don’t think it will be an issue.  DC Comics is owned by Warner bros. and it’s been fine.  The DC movies have been pretty mature (Batman Begins, Dark Knight, Watchmen).

Reservoir Dogs
    Clerks
    The Crow
    Pulp Fiction
    Trainspotting
    Gangs of New York
    Kill Bill
    No Country for Old Men
    There Will Be Blood

Good point. However, I hope they are not going to do crappy things as Kill Bill  :-P. That movie is the 2nd worst piece of crap I have seen, only slighty better than Torrente series (you anglosaxons have really luck of not having to suffer the bad jokes of Santiago Segura, Blade killed him in Blade 2 for a good reason  :-D ). Gangs of New York and No Country for Old Men are way better indeed

Yeah, I didn’t care for Kill Bill.  I know it was supposed to be over the top, but most of the time Tarantino is just cliched, predictable, and annoyingly verbose.  Kill Bill was fairly entertaining, but just found it to be a bad mockery of something that was laughably bad, therefore good.  It just didn’t work that way.

Furthermore, besides being deliberately cheesey, it just needed to be 1 movie.  Two movies were too much and the second just really had nothing in it.  Not to mention the feel of both was quite different.

• Wow. Gotta step in with some props for Kill Bill. I love both of them.

Just got to Inglourious Basterds and had lots of fun there as well.

And what’s not to love about Pulp Fiction?

• Kill Bill wasn’t the worst movie I’ve ever seen, by far.  I just felt pretty “meh” about it and found it annoying it was in two parts.  That may seem weird when there are good trilogies out there, but it did not really work for me as a bilogy.

Inglourious Basterds was more entertaining to me in that it has a theme I’m familiar with, it gave Hitler what he deserved, and while it had less action than I was expecting, the dialogue/foreign languages were pretty well done.

Pulp Fiction I couldn’t appreciate as cinema since I saw it in middle school.  It just seemed a bit shocking but I couldn’t gauge it as good or bad.  These days I don’t care for it, but I could give repeating views to Reservoir Dogs and slightly fewer to Jackie Brown.

Also, the QT endorsed Old Boy is one of my favorites.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m