Late-game multi-national Allied attack on Germany

• Situation:

Germany:
    35-40 infantry
    20 tanks
    4 fighters
    2 Jap fighters in SE
    (all units are divided between Germany and SE at the moment)

It’s Round 6; I have a combined Russian/British/American stack in EE and am contesting WE and the Balkans.  Running an odds calculator for an attack on Germany is misleading since you can’t send all the units in together.  Any general rule of thumb to consider before sending in everything??

• Don’t chain yourself to the idea of doing a multi-national attack THIS round…if things go bad for whoever attacks first, rebuild with them and set up for an even stronger strike next round.

Far better to wait a round than have all three attacks be relatively ineffective because the first nation in didn’t get it’s kills.

• If you have a large enough stack with Russia/UK/US, attack with the UK first, then the US, and then Russia. The first two countries whittle down the German stack, and then if you have enough with Russia, they can take Germany. Even if you don’t capture Germany with any of the countries, they probably can’t recover enough to build enough guys to stop an amph. assault by UK then the US and then Russia coming right back.

• Yeah, the only problem is I won’t have any more Russian units to send in if I fail with my Russian stack on the first try.  All their resources are tied up trying to defend against Japan at this point.  It’ll be up to Britain and America to send in subsequent attack waves.  The past couple of turns, I have been bleeding off a few Russian infantry in order to take and retake the Balkans.  Russia needs the 3 IPCs more than Britain and America at this point while they’re defending against Japan, but I’m not sure if it’s wise to slowly deplete my Russian stack by doing this.  Otherwise, Britain and America are in good shape.  5 transports for Britain,  American IC in Norway as well as 3x3x3 transport chain via E. U.S.–Algeria–Norway.  Russia won’t hold forever though.  I’ve got to do something soon.

• Attack with the UK, and then the US, and then Russia. But with Russia, leave 1 guy behind in the territory so if Germany has a tank or two leftover, it won’t go blitzing back toward you. Buy inf the majority of your next couple turns. Buy planes with the US and UK. Lots to protect and provide a top cover for Russia if Japan gets close to it, ie) they are in Novo.

And just let the US and UK take the Balkans. Bleeding Russians to take it isn’t worth it. Concentrate on Japan with Russia for now. And besides, if Germany is hemmed inside Germany, it probably isn’t making much. Take advantage of that.

• As a rule of thumb, you need 1.4x as many units as Germany when doing a UK/US double.

• Well, I failed.  I had a decent chance of taking Germany using all Allies at the start of the UK turn, but the dice went sour.  I might could’ve waited a turn or two, but he had roughly 25 tanks and 10-15 infantry ready to attack Moscow as the Japs.  I’ll be trying Low Luck next time.  If it’s not Low Luck and I find myself in that situation again, I will wait until I’m CERTAIN I can take Germany.  With that many units going into a battle like that, the standard deviation from a reasonable dice outcome can be quite large.  He should’ve had about 10 tanks left in Germany when it was time for my Russians to go in for the kill.  Instead, he had 23 tanks left in Germany….which made it an impossibility for my Russian stack to take Germany.  Game over.

• '16 '15 '10

@chizzado:

Well, I failed.  I had a decent chance of taking Germany using all Allies at the start of the UK turn, but the dice went sour.  I might could’ve waited a turn or two, but he had roughly 25 tanks and 10-15 infantry ready to attack Moscow as the Japs.  I’ll be trying Low Luck next time.  If it’s not Low Luck and I find myself in that situation again, I will wait until I’m CERTAIN I can take Germany.  With that many units going into a battle like that, the standard deviation from a reasonable dice outcome can be quite large.  He should’ve had about 10 tanks left in Germany when it was time for my Russians to go in for the kill.  Instead, he had 23 tanks left in Germany….which made it an impossibility for my Russian stack to take Germany.  Game over.

It’s always frustrating to have Germany pinned down and then lose to monster Japan.  The way I look at it, the last turn the Allies have to kill Germany is usually the one right after Japan captures Moscow.  On the next turn the Jap tanks will likely be in Ukraine…and the turn after they will be in Germany.  In such a case, you gotta take account of how many fighters Japan has and whether them flying in between the UK and US attacks could have a decisive impact.

Sometimes if you have Germany completely pinned (and it can be tough to pin Germany given that they can still make 25 ipc a turn if they can trade all the territories adjacent to Germany minus EE), it makes sense to divert some Allied resources to pushing back Japan, as the Allies build up some more.

I’d say the best tactic is pick a power (USA or UK) that will make the decisive attack…then use the other power to trade key territories with Germany and wear it down while the other builds up.

• If you’re going to use the US as your trading country, then make sure you have a good transport system in place. Get a 4x4 going on. Four transports from Ecan to UK, and UK to EEU (preferably) or Kar. And buy a fighter EVERY round so you can fly it to Russia. Do the same with the UK. Buy a fighter every round and fly it to Russia. Get a good fighter cover going, have Russia buy infantry out the wazoo (and an armour every now and then) and continually wear Germany down.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m