Axis and Allies Civil War Game

• https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2744368678

Welcome to Total War 1861-1865! My goal is to create something new out of something we already know and love – Axis and Allies. Many have been looking for a Civil War era game that plays mechanically like Axis and Allies and feels and plays like a historically themed civil war game should. So here is my attempt at creating it! If you have been a player, most of the rules should seem pretty seamless and intuitive. There are a number of rule changes and additions to make play more interesting since there are fewer units to work with during this ear of warfare. I will make a list here for you to take note before diving into the rules. Much of it will seem the same and easily recognizable. Thanks to all those on social media who have made suggestions along the way. Like what you see? Buy me a coffee 
    New Units: Cavalry, fortifications, breastworks, garrisons, warships (sail), ironclads, schooners, and riverboats. See unit profiles for details.
    Espionage: Spies perform infrastructure damage and steal currency.
    Retreats: Defender may retreat on a successful die roll.
    Assault/charge: Attacker may perform an all out charge on defender.
    Amphibious assault: transports must be paired up with other ships to move, only infantry can assault occupied territories and don’t fire first round.
    Cavalry raids
    Sherman’s Total War: Attacks on infrastructure by all ground units.
    Ports: Ports are safe havens for ships.
    Possible Great Britain involvement.
    Two hit Ironclads.
    Several theaters of play from the Mississippi river to the eastern theater to the far west.
    Pre-Combat roll table to add historical advantages and disadvantages.
    First strike artillery bombardments.
    Combine arms with artillery paired up with either infantry or cavalry
    Fortifications and breastworks for defender.

totalwarpic.JPG Costsmovement.PNG turntracker1.jpg south.png

• @earmark This looks so cool, I’ve seen a civil war game discussed but never an actual board. Have you play tested it?

• @tincanofthesea
    It is being playtested right now on Tabletop Simulator. Just getting started with that and I’m hoping its balanced well, but might need to make some adjustments. If you have TS, you can play if for free…it’s in the workshop. If all all goes well, I’m planning on printing up 50 games to sell. Facebook has a large axis and allies community called “axis and allies”. In the files section I have posted the map and rules.

• @earmark

Will this game come with the miniatures?

• @earmark
    watching; this looks incredible. Well done!

• @john-brown Yes. Having them printed.

• @vodot Thanks! You can follow progress of this game on facebook forum for axis and allies if you’re already on it.

https://www.facebook.com/TotalCivilWar

• @earmark

That is awesome news.

Thank you!

John

• I suggest you look at some historical maps. The New Mexico and Arizona Territory were historically divided horizontally not like the current division of the states to this day. The northern half of the territory was pro Union and the southern half was pro confederacy. Also the Axis and Allies style of mechanics for combat do not work the Civil War Era. Most regiments are just not completed killed off in battle. Rolling dice and eliminating whole regiments within a turn is far from historically accurate and does not capture the nature of the combat. IPCs in the Civil War Era do not make sense. Most of the southern states were rural and agricultural in nature. Also most of the Southern states did not like helping each other out. They were never really unified as the North was in their cause. Also the vast majority of Southerns would refuse any attacks made into the North. Robert Lee got into huge problems when he invaded the North. The Southerns just wanted to fight a purely defensive war. The South had better generals and better trained soldiers because by its rural nature most of the people who enlisted already knew how to fire a weapon and they knew their home territority.

The reason a successful Civil War style Axis and Allies does not exist, is because the mechanics do not translate to the appropriate time period. I suggest doing extensive research about the Civil War, including how battles were fought, and how the states interacted with each other, and etc…

• @drz

Thanks for the feedback. Most of the rules for the game were crowd sourced from those actually playing an axis and allies style game. The game was never intended to be a historically accurate representation of the American civil war…as are the axis and allies WW2 games. They are themed games. You are welcome to try it out on Steam tabletop simulator if you have it before casting any kind of judgement. It really is a fun game that challenge players. If you want more historically accurate games, you’ll have to look elsewhere.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m