Imperious Leader Pimps your AA50 game in two pages or less:

• **Imperious Leader Pimps your AA50 game in two pages or less:

Or

“How I stopped worrying about the A-Bomb and love his house rules”**

This module is designed to incorporate the latest ideas from the upcoming AAE40 and AAP40 games and throw in a few cutting edge house rules that you can get started with straight away. I deliberately kept a KISS policy for the purists.

New Units:

1. Mechanized Infantry: These are 1-2-2-4 units and receive a +1 bonus with Artillery.

2. Changes to Tanks and Carriers: Tanks now cost 6 IPC and Aircraft Carriers now take 2 hits to sink and cost 18 IPC.

3. Fighter-Bomber: These are 3-3-4-11 units. Air Superiority: Fighters matched up with Fighter-bombers increases the fighter- bomber’s attack number from 3 to 4. This same aircraft can also be matched up with tanks during land battles and attack at 4. Optional idea: If used in naval battles, this unit can select its hit on the first round.

4. Fortification Unit: Against invasions these defend only at 2 or less against every land unit in the first combat round after shore bombardment rolls are made. Only one fortification per territory. You can only build these in your originally controlled territories. Against normal land attacks these units boost the defense of all you ground units +1 for the duration of all combat rounds. Fortification units take one hit, can’t be moved, and cannot be captured. These units cost 8 IPC.

5. Airborne: These are dedicated forces and are 1-2-1-5. All players have ability to drop these units as per OOB AA50 rules. In combat during the first round they attack at 3. They always fire first preemptively in that first round before any other unit. On the second round latter they are like any other infantry.

6. Ports: These are special installations that protect naval units from naval combat. These cost 8 IPC and can only be built in territories adjacent from either a Major or Minor factory. If an AA gun is in the territory it fires at any attacking planes. Ships sunk while in port can be rebuilt at a cost reduction of 2 IPC per unit. Entering the port costs 1 Movement point, but leaving the port is a free movement allowing the ship to move 2 spaces.

7. Major and Minor Factories: Major factories can produce 10 units per turn minus any damage they have received. Minor – can build 3 units per turn minus damage. Factories (Industrial Complexes) cannot be built on islands (Japan and Australian exceptions). Major factories cost 30 IPC’s each. Minor factories cost 12. They each have their own AA gun defense systems built in. A minor IC can only be built on a territory with an IPC offering of 2 or more… a major requires 3 or more. Minor factories may not be upgraded to major Factories, However, players may “Scorch Earth” their own factories from Major to Minor to removal as follows:

8. one downgrade per turn if territory is not under attack

9. one downgrade per combat round if territory is under attack

If the factory falls in enemy hands it remains in the most current state at the time of capture, so If the Soviet player wants to downgrade his Karelia factory it will take one turn or he must survive the first round of combat to “Scorch” it.

1. Kamikaze planes: The Japanese player can allocate his planes as Kamikaze once he is reduced below his starting IPC level. He selects a naval target and rolls a 3 or less to hit. The selected unit AND the plane are destroyed. This would include any ship that normally takes two hits.

2. US marines: These are normal infantry, but during sea invasions on small islands, the first round is always attacking at +1 (in addition to other bonus).

3. Changes to Cruisers: Cruisers now include AA capabilities and up to one cruiser may fire at each attacking plane prior to the start of naval combat hitting at a 1. It also gains ASW capability to negate a subs first strike capability once Radar Technology is gained.

Damaged Warships: Damaged Battleships and Carriers must return to a friendly naval base ( port) when damaged in order to repair, (if they want to be repaired). Damaged carrier’s can’t land or launch aircraft when in a damaged state.

China: Round up fractions to determine Chinese builds. If Burma is controlled by UK, always add one Infantry to Chinese builds.

Canal/Straights: No axis ships may pass into or out of the Mediterranean unless they control Gibraltar. No Allies ships may enter the Baltic unless the Allies control Both Norway and Northwest Europe at the start of their turn. No ships may enter the Black Sea from the Mediterranean Sea.

Hawaiian special rule: The American player may always build one naval unit or air unit at Hawaii

Italy special rule: The Allies must first invade control Sicily before invading Italy by sea. Sicily and Italy are connected as land territories.

Technology Changes:

Replace Technology #3 with the following:
    3. Atomic Weaponry. (You must have Rockets and Heavy Bombers) Heavy Bombers roll 3 dice: 2 reduce IPC in the normal fashion, 1 is permanent reduction in IPC.

Modify Mechanized Infantry Technology as follows:
    6. Mechanized Infantry. Each infantry that is matched up with a tank can move two spaces along with the tank.

Starting setup for new units:
    Note: All players receive one Port with each major Factory as long as it touches a sea zone. Players can choose where this goes.

Germany:
    Blockhouse in Germany
    Fighter- Bomber and Minor Factory in France
    Mechanized Infantry in Libya

Italy:
    Mechanized Infantry in Italy

Japan:
    Minor Factory in Manchuria
    Replace one Fighter each on all three carriers with Fighter-Bombers
    Add one blockhouse to: Okinawa, Caroline Islands, and Iwo Jima

Soviet Union:
    Karelia S.S.R. Factory is downgraded to Minor Factory
    Blockhouse in Caucasus
    Minor Factory in Novosibirsk
    Mechanized Infantry and Fighter-Bomber in Moscow

United Kingdom:
    Minor factory and Mechanized Infantry in India
    Minor factory in Australia
    Blockhouse in Gibraltar

United States:
    Add Fighter-Bomber with carrier in SZ #44
    Add Port in Hawaii

• Dardinelles Closed?
    A Guy on Gibraltar?

Remember IL, everyone doesnt have stashes of units to represent new units for all the factions (fighter bombers + mech infantry) thats why im not rooting for them retroactively

Are all starting factories major? Even the ones in Russia? Do any more Spawn at “setup” (~Hint Australia)

Paratroopers…great  Goes hand in hand with your Mech infantry argument, its a simple breakthrough [Guys with guns + Parachutes = Paratroops]

Carriers, china, Ports, also great

A-bomb is a little iffy, that you can just get it sort of accidentily, ive been running through an A-Bomb rule in my brain……You buy  research tokens specificly for it, but to get the breakthrough, you must roll two dice, each die must exceed the number of researches you have acheived each tech-tree (example: if you have 3 land/economy and 2 air/naval, you have to roll a 3 or less and 2 or less respectively, if you have 4 on both, chances are much better)

And we have a fundamental difference of opinion on the whole cruiser AA gun topic…but its interesting at least

• Dardinelles Closed?
    A Guy on Gibraltar?

i forgot that. I will add it in.

Remember IL, everyone doesnt have stashes of units to represent new units for all the factions (fighter bombers + mech infantry) thats why im not rooting for them retroactively

Use the AA Milton Bradley edition for these: 1) tanks in MB AA are now mech inf, 2) fighter bombers are now using the fighters from MB AA. Ports are Monopoly houses, Minor factories are Hotels from Monopoly. If you got World War Two the game they have minor factories or you can use Xeno factories.

Are all starting factories major? Even the ones in Russia? Do any more Spawn at “setup” (~Hint Australia)

I have to fix that so its balanced. working on it.

Paratroopers…great  Goes hand in hand with your Mech infantry argument, its a simple breakthrough [Guys with guns + Parachutes = Paratroops]

Carriers, china, Ports, also great

A-bomb is a little iffy, that you can just get it sort of accidentily, ive been running through an A-Bomb rule in my brain……You buy  research tokens specificly for it, but to get the breakthrough, you must roll two dice, each die must exceed the number of researches you have acheived each tech-tree (example: if you have 3 land/economy and 2 air/naval, you have to roll a 3 or less and 2 or less respectively, if you have 4 on both, chances are much better)

I prefer the prerequisite idea because you have to reach it in steps.

And we have a fundamental difference of opinion on the whole cruiser AA gun topic……but its interesting at
    least

Yes but a cruiser at 12 IPC is not a good deal, In combat its 2 points too high. The AA gun is nice because in ports you get 2 rolls at planes, so ports are protected and i prefer that. I am tired of the axis fleet being sunk straight away or the focus of the allies. I prefer fleets to remain for most of the game and not get to a point where they are wiped out on turns 1-3 and the axis have one less option.

I will make a deployment of these new forces in a day.

• I believe the carrier cost needs to be updated in Advanced Shipyards to reflect the increase to 18 w/ 2 hits.

• MB AA is one of the few AA I dont have, and using old peices limits the Italians, who dont have old peices.

Make the Leningrad factory Minor, and add a minor factory in Australia.

Ports……problem, Gibraltar was just a port…so by your rule it can never be a port?
    Ive been thinking of making AA guns = Generic Defenses, It would be…
    1. A normal AA gun
    2. A port, with AA capibilites
    3. A coastal Battery (fortification Unit, modifying your rules slightly)
    4. A rocket Launcher site

Add one to Gibraltar, Hawaii. (or instead, perhaps, every power starts with one FREE) They can be built anywhere, can no longer move, and cost 8 on factory spaces, 10 away from factories…i think im going to add this to my house rules soon.

To represent Major/minor factories…Use 1 factory for Minor, 2 for major.

Ad IL…incresed factory production needs modified, its not adjusted for Major/minor factories. (or…is it?)

• MB AA is one of the few AA I dont have, and using old peices limits the Italians, who dont have old peices.

Make the Leningrad factory Minor, and add a minor factory in Australia.

Ports……problem, Gibraltar was just a port…so by your rule it can never be a port?
    Ive been thinking of making AA guns = Generic Defenses, It would be…
    1. A normal AA gun
    2. A port, with AA capibilites
    3. A coastal Battery (fortification Unit, modifying your rules slightly)
    4. A rocket Launcher site

Add one to Gibraltar, Hawaii. (or instead, perhaps, every power starts with one FREE) They can be built anywhere, can no longer move, and cost 8 on factory spaces, 10 away from factories…i think im going to add this to my house rules soon.

To represent Major/minor factories…Use 1 factory for Minor, 2 for major.

Ad IL…incresed factory production needs modified, its not adjusted for Major/minor factories. (or…is it?)

The factory ideas are direct from AAE40 AAP40. Many of the rules are. I want to start getting players used to these new ideas by making the AA50 into a micro version of the global AAE/ AAP40 system.

I will have something latter. Tonight is not a Badminton session, so i have time.

• **Imperious Leader Pimps your AA50 game in two pages or less:

Or

“How I stopped worrying about the A-Bomb and love his house rules”**

This module is designed to incorporate the latest ideas from the upcoming AAE40 and AAP40 games and throw in a few cutting edge house rules that you can get started with straight away. I deliberately kept a KISS policy for the purists.

New Units:

1. Mechanized Infantry: These are 1-2-2-4 units and receive a +1 bonus with Artillery.

2. Changes to Tanks and Carriers: Tanks now cost 6 IPC and Aircraft Carriers now take 2 hits to sink and cost 18 IPC.

3. Fighter-Bomber: These are 3-3-4-11 units. Air Superiority: Fighters matched up with Fighter-bombers increases the fighter- bomber’s attack number from 3 to 4. This same aircraft can also be matched up with tanks during land battles and attack at 4. Optional idea: If used in naval battles, this unit can select its hit on the first round.

4. Fortification Unit: Against invasions these defend only at 2 or less against every land unit in the first combat round after shore bombardment rolls are made. Only one fortification per territory. You can only build these in your originally controlled territories. Against normal land attacks these units boost the defense of all you ground units +1 for the duration of all combat rounds. Fortification units take one hit, can’t be moved, and cannot be captured. These units cost 8 IPC.

5. Airborne: These are dedicated forces and are 1-2-1-5. All players have ability to drop these units as per OOB AA50 rules. In combat during the first round they attack at 3. They always fire first preemptively in that first round before any other unit. On the second round latter they are like any other infantry.

6. Ports: These are special installations that protect naval units from naval combat. These cost 8 IPC and can only be built in territories adjacent from either a Major or Minor factory. If an AA gun is in the territory it fires at any attacking planes. Ships sunk while in port can be rebuilt at a cost reduction of 2 IPC per unit. Entering the port costs 1 Movement point, but leaving the port is a free movement allowing the ship to move 2 spaces.

7. Major and Minor Factories: Major factories can produce 10 units per turn minus any damage they have received. Minor – can build 3 units per turn minus damage. Factories (Industrial Complexes) cannot be built on islands (Japan and Australian exceptions). Major factories cost 30 IPC’s each. Minor factories cost 12. They each have their own AA gun defense systems built in. A minor IC can only be built on a territory with an IPC offering of 2 or more… a major requires 3 or more. Minor factories may not be upgraded to major Factories, However, players may “Scorch Earth” their own factories from Major to Minor to removal as follows:

8. one downgrade per turn if territory is not under attack

9. one downgrade per combat round if territory is under attack

If the factory falls in enemy hands it remains in the most current state at the time of capture, so If the Soviet player wants to downgrade his Karelia factory it will take one turn or he must survive the first round of combat to “Scorch” it.

1. Kamikaze planes: The Japanese player can allocate his planes as Kamikaze once he is reduced below his starting IPC level. He selects a naval target and rolls a 3 or less to hit. The selected unit AND the plane are destroyed. This would include any ship that normally takes two hits.

2. US marines: These are normal infantry, but during sea invasions on small islands, the first round is always attacking at +1 (in addition to other bonus).

3. Changes to Cruisers: Cruisers now include AA capabilities and up to one cruiser may fire at each attacking plane prior to the start of naval combat hitting at a 1. It also gains ASW capability to negate a subs first strike capability once Radar Technology is gained.

Damaged Warships: Damaged Battleships and Carriers must return to a friendly naval base ( port) when damaged in order to repair, (if they want to be repaired). Damaged carrier’s can’t land or launch aircraft when in a damaged state.

China: Round up fractions to determine Chinese builds. If Burma is controlled by UK, always add one Infantry to Chinese builds.

Canal/Straights: No axis ships may pass into or out of the Mediterranean unless they control Gibraltar. No Allies ships may enter the Baltic unless the Allies control Both Norway and Northwest Europe at the start of their turn. No ships may enter the Black Sea from the Mediterranean Sea.

Hawaiian special rule: The American player may always build one naval unit or air unit at Hawaii

Italy special rule: The Allies must first invade control Sicily before invading Italy by sea. Sicily and Italy are connected as land territories.

Technology Changes:

3. Atomic Weaponry. (You must have Rockets and Heavy Bombers) Heavy Bombers roll 3 dice: 2 reduce IPC in the normal fashion, 1 is permanent reduction in IPC.

6. Mechanized Infantry. Each infantry that is matched up with a tank can move two spaces along with the tank.

Note: All players receive one Port with each major Factory as long as it touches a sea zone. Players can choose where this goes.

Germany:
    Blockhouse in Germany

Italy:

Japan:

Soviet Union:
    Karelia S.S.R. Factory is downgraded to Minor Factory
    Blockhouse in Caucasus

United Kingdom:
    Blockhouse in Gibraltar

United States:
    Add Port in Hawaii

• Replace Land Technology #1 with the following:
    1. Heavy Tanks. You may now build Heavy Tanks which are 4-4-2-8 units and these can boost up to 2 infantry +1 in attack.

This replaces Improved Artillery Tech with something that is an actual technology.

• IL we have a few differences of opinion, but here is what ive been working on in light of A&A 1940’s announcement and viewing your house rules.

I dont think mine are as extensive, it requires no new cast units…keeping the layman A&A player in mind.

Oh, and perhaps you should change scorched earth to pure damage, a la strategic bombing.

i did a quick playtest…Caucasus factory needs to be minor, 10 units appearing there throws the game a little out of whack.

50 to 40.doc

• Caucasus factory needs to be minor, 10 units appearing there throws the game a little out of whack

yes i saw that too, just didn’t edit the set up. Thats right.

1. Denmark – No units may enter or exit sea zone 5 without control of Northwest Europe

Too me you gotta include Norway. Why didn’t you feel it should not be included?

House Rule 6 – Defense Installation
    High value positions are better reinforced against amphibious invasion, to represent this, players may build defense installations; Defense installations now replace AA guns, and are represented by the AA gun model. These instillations fire as AA guns in combat as normal. Before combat starts, installations fire at 1 at units landing during amphibious invasion. Any artillery present in a territory with a Defense Installation may also fire a single shot during this step, at a roll of 1. Installations may not move, but may be built anywhere for 8 IPCs.

Why do they cost 8 IPC for firing at 1?  kinda high?  I don’t see any value in this unit at 1, but at 2 you got something good.

The rest seem plausible.

• Nice work IL and oztea!

couple questions/thoughts

IL:

cool to see the Abomb stuff as was discussed in a thread here, maybe it is getting to Larry too, very cool.  Anyhow, for clarification, are you thinking that one needs both Hbombers and rockets to use the Abomb, or just whichever is going to be the delivery method?

oztea:

House Rule 7 – Ports
    Territories with a Factory, Victory City, or Defense Installation are considered to have a port in one adjacent sea zone.

would attaching ports to defense installations mean that defense installations on places like Iwo Jima mean they get a port too?  While it would be feasible for Hawaii to have a port, most of the other islands (okinawa, midway, wake, caroline)I think might be overmatched to have a port too…

5 or 6 – Heavy Armor – All Tanks now cost 7 IPCs but are now have an attack and defense value of 4.

this is a break from other breakthroughs, like long range fighters, jet fighters and super subs, there isn’t an increase in price associated with individual unit purchases…

• IL:

cool to see the Abomb stuff as was discussed in a thread here, maybe it is getting to Larry too, very cool.  Anyhow, for clarification, are you thinking that one needs both Hbombers and rockets to use the Abomb, or just whichever is going to be the delivery method?

well for balance i feel you must have 2 techs that are related. These fit the bill, when 1 requirement is not enough under playtest.

• “Harbor” might be a better term than port

Important places I wanted ports……
    Pearl Harbor
    Gibraltar
    Hong Kong

“Defense Instilation” is basicaly “AA guns shoot troops landing” Maybe 8 is to high for shots at 1. But artilery get to fire too, so now they have a purpose on defense.

• China is not enough strong and still has that ilogical-ahistorical ACME wall  :oops:. I guess that it’s 1941 scenario, so I have my doubts about India minor IC. Without doubt, it will resist at least some rounds. But It’s possible that, without chinese support, will fall anyway soon or later and become a aid for axis. A starting german IC for France is probably too much

There are good ideas in other areas however. I like ports: can be a good base for german subs and have another interesting uses. I’m not sure about carriers, maybe now are too expensive because I doubt I’d give them a hit so they cannot hold figs. The paratroopers can be a very wicked weapon, I like them  :-D Forts are OK, I guess

• @Imperious:

Germany:

This is probably too much. You could attack both Egypt and z2 with medium chances of success. It’s probably game won for axis if don’t fail and don’t risk much if lose. Give at least 1 inf at Egypt to UK to solve this

• yea good point. or i can just move the mech infantry that was given to UK in Trans-Jordan and move it over.

• Imperious Leader Pimps your AA50 game in two pages or less:

Or

“How I stopped worrying about the A-Bomb and love his house rules”

New Units:

4. Fortification Unit: Against invasions these defend only at 2 or less against every land unit in the first combat round after shore bombardment rolls are made. Only one fortification per territory. You can only build these in your originally controlled territories. Against normal land attacks these units boost the defense of all you ground units +1 for the duration of all combat rounds. Fortification units take one hit, can’t be moved, and cannot be captured. These units cost 10 IPC.

8. One downgrade per turn if territory is not under attack

9. One downgrade per combat round if territory is under attack

10. Kamikaze planes: The Japanese player can allocate his planes as Kamikaze once he is reduced below his starting IPC level. He selects a naval target and rolls a 3 or less to hit. The selected unit AND the plane are destroyed. This would include any ship that normally takes two hits.

11. US marines: These are normal infantry, but during sea invasions on small islands, the first round is always attacking at +1 (in addition to other bonus).

12. Changes to Cruisers: Cruisers now include AA capabilities and up to one cruiser may fire at each attacking plane prior to the start of naval combat hitting at a 1. It also gains ASW capability to negate a subs first strike capability once Radar Technology is gained.

Technology Changes:

Replace Land Technology #1 with the following:
    1. Heavy Tanks. You may now build Heavy Tanks which are 4-4-2-8 units and these can boost up to 2 infantry +1 in attack.

Note: All players receive one Port with each major Factory as long as it touches a sea zone. Players can choose where this goes. All original factories as per setup are considered Major factories.

Germany:
    Blockhouse in Germany

Italy:

Japan:

Soviet Union:
    Karelia SSR Factory is downgraded to Minor Factory
    Caucasus Factory downgraded to Minor factory
    Blockhouse in Caucasus

United Kingdom:
    Infantry in Egypt
    Minor factory in Western Canada
    Blockhouse in Gibraltar
    United States:
    Add Port in Hawaii

• IL ive run into some serious trouble with ports

What if some ships are in port, and some arent? (1 transport in port and 6 ships out of port, the AA gun fires at all planes incoming?)

What denotes if ships are in port and out of port? ( I used underneath NCMs)

If some ships are in port, and some are out, and there is an attack….with planes and enemy ships involved, Who fights? is it two seperate combats…can in port ships only be alocated against the planes and visa versa

Can you anphibiously invade a territory with ships in port?

if the host land territory of the port is captured, what happens to the ships in port?

In your version of ports, can the enemy move through a territory with all enemy ships in port? can they occupy it? and blocade?

I just need some back and forth on this, another set of grey matter for the benifit of the both of us.

• IL ive run into some serious trouble with ports

What if some ships are in port, and some arent? (1 transport in port and 6 ships out of port, the AA gun fires at all planes incoming?)

only ships in port are ‘protected’ by the AA gun, the ships in the sea zone can be attacked normally, while ships in port only by air.

What denotes if ships are in port and out of port? ( I used underneath NCMs)

Ships in port expend 1 MP to enter. They then get this MP back free when they leave, so they move 3 spaces technically ( one out of port and 2 normally)

If some ships are in port, and some are out, and there is an attack….with planes and enemy ships involved, Who fights? is it two seperate combats…can in port ships only be alocated against the planes and visa versa

Consider the PORT a different territory or sea zone. Only the units in this spot are protected, otherwise they are not.

Can you anphibiously invade a territory with ships in port?

Yes and this forces the ships in port to be dislodged at the end of the combat phase. So you cannot attack ships because you took out the territory they had a port in.

if the host land territory of the port is captured, what happens to the ships in port?

They are dislodged and moved in the sea zone after all combat. So its entirely possible that on your allies turn he can attack these ships normally.

In your version of ports, can the enemy move through a territory with all enemy ships in port? can they occupy it? and blocade?

no blitzing with tanks in a territory that has a port. Consider a port a combat unit like a AA gun, thats captured and also prevents blitzing because its an enemy unit.

I just need some back and forth on this, another set of grey matter for the benifit of the both of us.

I think its been clarified.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m