Axis & Allies: Europe and Pacific 1940 Fact sheet ( AAE40 and AAP40)

• (LH 8/5/09)

FYI - After wrestling with this Vichy siht, I decided to skip the whole thing. France will be considered an ally power and that’s it. The confusion generated by the Vichy loyalty thing is just not worth the extra game steps. Also… perhaps I did not mention this but if and when France is liberated it reappears as a self-standing power with its own economy. The rule may end up providing France with an automatic influx of new units appearing on the board. - I’m still toying with this idea. It’s got to be simple and instinctive.

Persia invaded by UK and Soviets…? I think “invaded” is too harsh a word. It was moved into not invaded. I’m carrying Persia as a pro-ally territory in the game. By the way… Persia was the biggest oil producer in the world at that time. It enjoys the biggest IPC value of any neutral state in the game.

Iceland … Iceland will be an essential stepping stone for US fighters heading for Europe. You can’t get there with out first landing on Iceland.

There will be convoy issues in these two games. I came up with a new and more simple system. I’ll write more about it at some point… I’m sure you won’t let me forget.

• '10

source LH (08-12-09)

Major produces up to 10 units. Can only be built on a territory with an IPC value of 3 or higher (not too many of these out there – especially in AAP – With the exception of Manchuria there are no none in fact).  … Korea, Kiangsu (Shanghai), Kwangtung (Hong Kong) - forgot about those
    Minor factories can only be built on territories with an IPC income of 2 or higher. No factory can be built on an island – Exceptions - Japan and Australia (Which are not really considered islands and already have factories anyway). In a nutshell… There will not be a lot of new factories popping up in AAP40. As for bombers appearing in Sydney… it can happen, but in a (somewhat) limited manner.

1. Being as Canada is a Commonwealth of UK, and ANZAC is a separate power, how will that play out in the “full” game, both economically and with territories? In the Global game both the ANZAC and Canadian forces will probably be controlled by the UK player.

2. Will ANZAC control all of the UKs territories in the AAP map, with UK controlling the ones on the Europe map? No, again the UK player will control all commonwealth territories in the global game. I’m not 100% sure about this however… In the AAP there will be a dedicated UK player - based out of India and the ANZAC player out of Australia/New Zealand.

3. If the answer to #2 is yes, will each power control half of India, being as the dividing line is cutting right through it?

4. How will the French territories in AAP play out if only the AAP board is being used?
    The French territories will be French but there will not be any French units located on the AAP map. They will appear in the Europe game however. As for the Global game… I’m not sure there is a large enough French presence to warrant French units in FIC.

5. How will the economy of the US work so that it has a fair amount of IPCs in both the AAP/AAE/“full” games? The US economy will shift gears when it enters the war. It will become the Arsenal of Democracy of sorts. Its IPC income will jump through the roof.

6. Finally, if possible, could you try and get a picture of the AAP map for us, being as it must be finished or almost finished and not subject to more revision? It is my understanding that my publisher (Wizards of the Coast) will allow me to present a AAP50 map a Gen Con, this week. If so I’ll ask them if I can present the map here sometime after the convention.

Thanks Johnny Marr!  Your very keen on doing this. Very much appreciated!!! :lol: :wink:

• Official Q&A

@Imperious:

Tanks are now 3-3-2-6 units.

Why did you up the cost?

Me? I didn’t do anything. This is Larry’s game. I just report the facts here. The tank cost is in direct response to the all tank buys frequent in AAE. Its not realistic and makes the other units less used. not good.

It’s probably also related to the boost they give to tactical bombers on attack.

@Imperious:

Do they also become 4-3-4-11 when matched up with fighter at sea?
    Why can’t they pick their targets on land and sea, instead of just sea?

i dont know about these

They can’t pick their targets at sea, either.  That was a mistake.

• LH 8/12/09

I have address your concerns about construction of factories. I’m sure I have not done it the way you would totally support but it’s a step in that direction. Let me see if I can quickly point out the key points of the system…
    Two types of factories. Major and minor.
    Major produces up to 10 units. Can only be built on a territory with an IPC value of 3 or higher (not too many of these out there – especially in AAP – With the exception of Manchuria there are no none in fact).
    Minor factories can only be built on territories with an IPC income of 2 or higher. No factory can be built on an island – Exceptions - Japan and Australia (Which are not really considered islands and already have factories anyway). In a nutshell… There will not be a lot of new factories popping up in AAP40. As for bombers appearing in Sydney… it can happen, but in a (somewhat) limited manner.

I stand corrected.

Yes indeed… Korea, Kiangsu (Shanghai), Kwangtung (Hong Kong) -

• Official Q&A

@Veqryn:

major factories can produce 10, so how many can minor factories produce?
    does that mean germany will not be able to produce more than england (8 ipc value against 12 ipc value?) or for that matter, germany will produce the same as a factory in manchuria/poland/whatever?
    Or is it a lowest of: IPC value or 10 ?

Minor industrial complexes can produce up to three units.  The IPC value of the territory has no bearing on production, other than the ability to build an IC there at all.

@Krupp:

Well as soon as those pics of Pacific come out I reckon we will need our own forums for this.

When is Gen Con, or has it already past?

It ends today.  I expect you’ll see some pictures soon.

• '10

source: LH (08-19-09)

A territory on the map is either controlled and contributing to one power or the other. If not, they are either neutral, neutral and pro- Axis or neutral and pro ally.

Finland – Presently Finland is being carried as Germany territory for purposes of German IPC income and starting positions. Technically I know this is technically not correct. I don’t want any automatic status changes based on Barbarossa. If I did it this way Finland would require a special rule. Not actually neutral and not actually occupied it would require a special status on the map. I’m not interested in going there with this game. Talk me out of it if you like.

Hungary – Presented as a German controlled territory.

Romania – Presented as a German controlled territory.

Bulgaria – Presently as pro- Axis neutral

Slovakia or Slovakia/Hungary is presented as a German controlled territory

Siam – Presently as a Japanese controlled territory.

As much as I recognize the impact and importance of Partisans I’m not ready to introduce them into the game rules. It certainly could be done but I think they are not in scale with the scope of this game system.

The cost and abilities of Cruisers will NOT be changing. At least not in these 1940 games - That is all.

Thanks buddy! These were added.

• '10

source LH (08-20-09)

Dutch have no representation other than the motherland and some colonies. I wish this could be otherwise.

No Blockhouse rules… Paratroopers – not sure yet.

No A-bomb rules

• '10

source LH (08-24-09)

Patriotic War Rules… not sure yet. Well, there are some but I don’t know if they really qualify. Let’s see how this goes.

The US will be three territories West, Central, and East.

I was studying the map and noticed that Libya and Egypt were taking up a lot of space for the backwater areas they represented. I thought if they were broken up a bit they might become a more interesting part of the game. I must say, however, I have read a lot of IL’s ideas and like the vast majority of them…

There are no special Mideast rules per se… lot’s of neutrals etc… For example I’m carrying Iraq as a pro-Axis territory.

Neutral Ireland … yes Neutral Irish units. No. Who the hell could they find to fill the ranks? All the men where in the British Army!

I totally love the idea of a rail system game mechanic. It ain’t going to happen in this game but I’d like to think it will in some future game

there are 6 territories between Berlin and Stalingrad

• LH 8/24/09

Now fighter bombers get what is called Air Superiority. Fighters can be combined with tactical bomber (fighter bombers if you will). A matched up set of a fighter and tactical bomber increases the tactical bomber’s attack number from 3 to 4.

They also can be matched with tanks and be promoted to an attack of 4.

• '10

LH 08/25/09

Italy… Italy will be split into two territories… Northern Italy and, you guessed it, Southern Italy. Sardinia and Sicily will each be separate territories. No land bridge between Sicily and Italy…

• '10

Does anyone know if, assuming the territory has 3 or more ipcs, a Minor Factory can be UPGRADED to a Major Factory? (and at what price?  I hope it will be more than the difference, but less than the cost of a major, so if majors cost 25 and minors cost 10, the upgrade can cost 20, for example)
    Does anyone know the costs of a minor and major factories?

There will be limited builds per factory… Actually there will be two types (or sizes) of factories. Major – can produce 10 units per turn minus any damage they have received. Minor – can build 3 units per turn minus damage. Factories (Industrial Complexes) cannot be built on islands (Japan and Australian exceptions). You will not be building many Major factories – they cost 30 IPCs each. Minor ICs cost 12. They each have their own AA gun defense systems built in. A minor IC can only be build on a territory with an IPC offering of 2 or more… a major requires 3 or more

• '10

Will the neutrals have their own pieces?

Per LH:
    There are no specific neutral pieces. Neutral territories will be represented on the map in one of 3 possible colors. The specific color depends on their neutrality status.  They will be represented by the aggressor’s opposing alliance.

• LH 9/5/09

I have some catching up to do with your questions, sorry:
    No to Azores. Yes to Malta. No to Railroad (as much as I love the idea).
    Movements between Sicily and Italy require transports. Palma – I haven’t decided yet.
    Italy will not have the option of joining the Axis… by Spring 1940 Italy was firmly in the Axis camp. No separate Chinese player. US War-Time economy kicks in when it enters the war… around turn 3 or 4. this roughly equates to sometime around late 41.
    There will be TECH system but only in the Global game. . Probably no paratroopers. There will not be blockhouses.
    I don’t see blockhouses as a potential TECH. Yes… minor ICs can be upgraded to major providing they are on 3-IPC territories.

Hi and welcome Wild Bill – France will be split into 3 territories. Indeed you cannot attack the same territory from the Med and the Atlantic. There is a central territory called France (it contains Paris). It has an IC. It does not touch coast. Coastal territories of the country (France) are worth far less than central France. No buffer between Paris territory and German border. France has two major ICs (This might change to one major and one minor). France will have a major or minor IC on the Atlantic coast. French fleet will have its own turn sequence… It will be controlled probably by the British player, however. Like any power, if the capital falls it cannot produce new units until it is liberated. France will fall! How many axis units it takes with it is what is in question. France can be liberated… In which case it will receive and activate its own economy. It will also receive a certain amount of infantry units (free) that are immediately placed in the game. Viva le France! England will be two territories…

I don’t want to get too into convoys at this time other than to say: They are there. If an enemy fleet is parked on a convoy (sea zone) that is adjacent to one of your controlled territories, the income from these or this territory is subject to disruption.

Totally impassable Pripet Marsh is in the game.
    There will be no Polish Corridor – not worth the effort and complications it presents.
    Greater Southern Germany will include Austria. I’ve linked Czech Republic (call it Slovakia) to Hungary. No, Northern Ireland will not be a separate territory.
    There will be no special D-Day rule.

I don’t want a special case for Pripet marsh. It cannot be occupied nor can it be entered.
    I like your thinking Flashman…. I just can’t (or actually) – don’t want go into that kind of special detail for this one map location. This is purely a game mechanic decision. I feel like it crosses that “complication” line where you and i often differ.

As I said above there will be no railroad game mechanics.

The US gets into the war in one of two ways. It is either attacked by Japan or it automatically goes to war on a given turn… Japan, due to economic reasons WILL attack the US before it automatically finds itself at war (or at least at the same time). This had to be designed this way… Otherwise there was a real potential that the US player ended up not even playing.

Who is this “Eagle” from Norway? Never heard of an Eagle with such a nice Icon. Are you asking a question or telling me that there is a special rule that says that the German player must declare war on USA in turn 3? You’ll be one of the few who will be happy to know there is no new rail system of movement in this game. Oh… sea movement changes… you’d like to see ships move 4 sea zones a turn? Wow, with the new naval bases that would let em move 5 sea zones per turn… I mean if I’m going to change a sea movement rule that has been traditionally (25 years) a 2 sea zones per turn and the design was based on 2 sea zones per turn stat , then I might just as well make it a 4 as any other number (I don’t think so). You think its silly to end a trannys move just because it dropped off some men… ok… its silly. What do you want me to tell you ?

If Japan does attack the UK and ANZACs then yes… The US goes to war.

• yes i am http://www.harrisgamedesign.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=12 and heres more:

LH 9/5/09

East Africa – how will this be represented in AAE40?
    Well I think so. I mean the French, the Italians and the British are all represented down there. I mean there’s Kenya, Tanganyika Territory, Rhodesia, Union of South Africa, South West Africa, British Somaliland, Anglo-Egyptian Sudan and an administered from London - Belgian Congo, and that’s just the British stuff… Hope this answers your question.

Cruisers? They are unchanged.

• '10

Found some facts…dont know if these have already been posted

Major factories Can only be built on a territory with an IPC value of 3 or higher (not too many of these out there – especially in AAP – Korea, Kiangsu (Shanghai), Kwangtung (Hong Kong)

already listed in facts

Per LH

Major produces up to 10 units. Can only be built on a territory with an IPC value of 3 or higher (not too many of these out there – especially in AAP – With the exception of Manchuria there are no none in fact).  … Korea, Kiangsu (Shanghai), Kwangtung (Hong Kong) - forgot about those

• '10

Per Krieghund 10/13/09

Quote from: idk_iam_swiss on October 13, 2009, 07:23:59 pm
    Now we have specific production facilities?  Meaning I can ONLY build a bomber or fighter where theres an airfeild and I can ONLY build a battleship or sub where there is a port?

Everything is still built at ICs (except Chinese units).  You can’t build units at bases.

Quote from: Brain Damaged on October 13, 2009, 08:19:01 pm
    Are there going to be game pieces for air/naval bases like their are for factories?

Yes.

• '10

can airfields and seaports be built?

Per Krieghund 10/13/09

Yes, they can

• '10

I am assuming that air/naval bases can be built in a territory that does not contain a factory. Is this true?

has not been addressed yet

I know that the naval bases are for repairing ships, but are they also a place to build ships other than factories? Can we build ships in territories containing facories? naval bases? or either?

Per Krieghund:

Everything is still built at ICs (except Chinese units).  You can’t build units at bases.

What is the advantage of an airbase as with existing rules we can land planes in any territory?

1. Per LH :FYI… naval bases, factories and airbases now each have their own air defense. AA guns are restricted to protecting land units only
    2. Per Krieghund:An island can launch aircraft (fighters and Tac bombers to its surrounding sea zone and attack or defend in a battle if the island has an airbase
    3.Per Krieghund:They also allow air units taking off from them to move one extra space.

• Official Q&A

@Brain:

I am assuming that air/naval bases can be built in a territory that does not contain a factory. Is this true?

They can be built in any territory.  Of course, it helps if a naval base is in a territory that’s adjacent to at least one sea zone.

• LH 9-18

I can tell you this… There will be Paratroopers. They will be one of 12 techs (which are all pretty close to the Anniversary game’s techs.)

I call out Paratroopers because they have been radically changed from that tech in Anniversary. Infantry (up to 2) can be flown, to join an attack, if that location is within a 3 territory/sea zone range. They don’t need bombers or any other aircraft representation. They must however be on a territory with an airbase.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m