• LOL!!! :-D

• Canuck12

Totally agree with your analysis.  There’s an AA42 “Entry Level” / “New User” / “Mass Market” / “Unit Volume” strategy and an AA50/AA40 “Step Up” “Higher ASP” strategy - this is actually marketing 101 by WOC/Larry - We’d never get the Step Up games (which visitors of this site are all about) without the volume variants to drive cash flow for WOC…So in a weird way we should be thankful for AA42.

That said, I received AA42 today (from Target.com - Mass merchant…).  Worth the price to get some of the new sculpts (per IL’s summary). But the Russian Battleship sculpt is a disaster…I’m all for differentiation/new sculpts, but I mean it looks ridiculous.  Does anyone know if this sculpt is based on an actual historic ship?

I’m sure I’ll never actually play AA42, but I’ll use the scuplts for other variants.

Can’t wait for the AA40s…

• Well said Monroe

• In reply to inquiries regarding the Soviet BB, the mold appears to based on the Gangut class; the only class of Soviet BB (other than the UK Royal Sovereign) to see action with the Soviet Navy during WWII.  It is quite a…well…interesting…looking ship, but from the pictures I have seen, the AA42 mold actually looks fairly accurate. Perhaps it would be fair to direct complaints towards Soviet naval engineers who modernized the class prior to WWII instead of WOTC… 8-)

Here is a line drawing of the Gangut class, for comparison purposes (the lower image depicts the class as it appeared during WWII, with the upper pictures illustrating the vessels prior to their modernization):

Personally, I have always stated my preference for the incomplete Soyuz class, for reasons I have stated elsewhere on this forum. Here’s a hypothetical illustration for consideration (although I am not terribly disappointed by the Gangut class, I do hope that FMG decides to use the Soyuz class instead):

• If they had used Soyus class, then they could used that mold for the French battleship too, since Soyus look very similar to Richeli-class. But now we will get Gangut as French battleship, how nice.

• Customizer

whats with the complaints about AA1942?  Its just supposed to be an update of Revised, with the updated rules from AA50 plus cruisers.

• Customizer

is it just me or does the shape of the map, the shape of the countries, borders, etc. not look right? i can’t tell you what is wrong, but it just doesn’t look right, like the shape of the continents or something.

• @Veqryn:

is it just me or does the shape of the map, the shape of the countries, borders, etc. not look right? i can’t tell you what is wrong, but it just doesn’t look right, like the shape of the continents or something.

are you complaining ?

• Customizer

@Adlertag:

@Veqryn:

are you complaining ?

hahaha
    i am not disappointed, i am just curious  :mrgreen:

• various styles of distortions exist for practicality

the territories and sea zones look awkward on a real map

I once drew the revised map over a real map
    unfortunately such maps may only be practical for game boards larger than A0

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=10999.30

• Customizer

@tekkyy:

various styles of distortions exist for practicality

the territories and sea zones look awkward on a real map

I once drew the revised map over a real map
    unfortunately such maps may only be practical for game boards larger than A0

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=10999.30

Nice map
    I’d rather have funny looking sea zones than funny looking continents.

• '20 '18 '16 '13 '12

Wow, that is a very cool looking map. I wish they would mass-market that one.

As far as the distorted looking AA42 map: nearest I can, tell it looks funny because they tried to maximize the space in each territory. So some of them look really fat and distorted in order to allow the maximum amount of space to place units. Not necessarily a bad thing… if you can live with the change in aesthetics of course.

• I would also have to agree on that one.  I would rather have space for more units as well.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m