• @surfer

When you lose Kiev. Hell you might not build it turn 1, maybe not even turn 2, but seeing as the majority of Soviet players are losing because they can’t seem to figure out that giving up the main abundance of their IPC’s to Germany so it so much so to say that an industrial complex in the Caucasus might do yah a little bit of good to beating back the Germans?

Listen man, at the end of the day, maybe it is a bad idea. Maybe the dice just weren’t with you that game or maybe your German counter part was too cunning with their tactics, bottling up and condensing your forces together doesn’t work anymore, people have tried this and it’s failed all the same, General hand grenade’s counter attacking strategy had a good run for seeming ‘impossible’ to defeat when combined with Middle Earth and that predicament died fast, leaving a Soviet Union with absolutely nothing left to bring to the table, so understand that I’m trying to think of a way to win over as the Soviet Union or at least provide some ample coverage to keep those Germans at bay, but all the same it won’t bode well for the Soviet Union either way.

Germany is just too strong. They get 70+ IPC’s on the second turn to spend on nothing but mobilized ground units to send into the Soviet Union so how could there be any hope anyway. I’ve already made a counter to the Soviet counter attacking strategy to go along with emphasizing counters to middle earth and the floating bridge, so maybe at the end of the day Moscow is just destined to fall. Personally I don’t think the Counter Attacking Strategy works. I thought it was an incredibly lame way at calling a combined Allied strategy “impossible to defeat”, and frankly nothing’s changed. The Axis still have a huge advantage in this game and even with bids it still isn’t enough. I’m typically not very fond of playing the Allies and I’m more of an Axis player so I know and understand everything that you’re saying. Even if America gets ground units into Europe, it’s 8 a turn, by turn 6 to which the Soviets are on their knees to Germany with the Middle East and North Africa crumbling to the Axis powers.

In order to really stop them, you need all 3 Allied members going after Germany. All of them. There need to be British and American troops in mainland Europe as early as turn 5 to even stop Germany or have a chance to, and even that sometimes doesn’t work.

But, in any debate, it’s important to understand the merits at which are and are not possible, and with any benefits come downsides to doing something, bottling up on Moscow is leaving Germany completely untouched as they make their way to Moscow, counter attacking is throwing your units into a counter offensive against a Germany that might be delayed, but will still roll over the Soviet Union as a whole, a factory on the Caucasus? Will just forget it because apparently prioritizing the major IPC hub of the nation is just one sacrifice too great, but that’s the game, making sacrifices and winning battles.

• '20

Agree with the dissenters. I’m not even sure I would build it if it’s free. If you can’t stop the German scheduled march into bryansk, you can’t stop him from taking cauc and it’s even easier with can-open. You can defend Caucasus or Moscow but not both.

I like the energy but your point would be strengthened if you shared a match link of your plan at work.

• @colt45554

True, for me it’s a hit or miss, either it would work for the Soviets or it wouldn’t, I suppose it just depends how the beginning turns looked like for either nation.

• Have to agree that this isn’t a smart play, you’re not capping out your existing industrial capacity, adding more is a loss of throughput.

For unintended concequences it would be hilarious if the Germans take it early and then, while they’re pushing Moscow, lose it to the Brits. However, when your strategy depends on your opponent being an idiot, you don’t have a strategy, you have a dream.

• As an Axis Player i would welcome your idea of Russia building an mIC in Caucasuss, it makes the NO even more tempting.

Like Colt allready explained, please provide a few games as evidence that this will work and prove us wrong.

I highly recommend to reconsider your thoughts on the mIC.

Best regards

AetV

• '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

Not only does it make Moscow weaker by at least four infantry (more if Russia actually builds there), it also forces the UK’s hand. Now the UK must defend the Middle East and be prepared to fight for Caucasus while Moscow is under siege. Under no circumstances can Germany be allowed to hold Caucasus with a Russian-built IC present on the territory.

A Russian IC in Caucasus is a bad idea, pure and simple. It’s almost as bad as pulling all UK forces out of the Med on UK1 so that Italy can lock the UK out of the Med on I1.

Marsh

• '21 '20 '18 '17

reduce all city bonuses from 5 to 3 theyre stupidly outrageous oob

• It isn’t going to work against any decent opponent since Germany can have two dozen tanks/mechs and a bunch of infantry/artillery sitting in Bryansk on Bryansk by G5. They will be supported by a reasonable number of Italian ground troops, along with air support of both nations. If Russia wants to block a charge of the tanks/mechs to the Caucasus, they would have to either:

a) stack Rostov and Tambov with at least a dozen units each to prevent the Italians from opening a path or

b) stack Caucasus with at least three dozen units to prevent the Germans from blitzing down there with air support.

Hence you are looking at a board with a huge number of units missing from Moscow, making it trivial for Germany to sack the capitol on G6.

My guess is that you are playing against poor Axis players who don’t bring Italian troops to support the German advance and/or waste their income defending Western Europe from the Allied invasion instead of a singular drive to head into Russia during the first three turns.

• I know I’m kinda getting in here late, but seeing as how it got bumped a couple times after an extended period, I’mma take a swing.

If the goal is have-guys-in-the south-to-defend, isn’t a more cost-effective (and by extension more flexible) thing to do just walk the guys down there you wanted to put there anyway?

If you’re making a 12 IPC bet that you’re going to need to place 6 dudes, why not just walk the 6 dudes down there so they’d be there when you’d be buying them anyway… And then you’d still have the 12 IPC. And the same number of dudes covering the south.

And if you don’t use them they can just walk back. If you don’t use your 12 IPC complex, it can’t walk back. And can be used against you or allies (not having to spend on another complex to take Persia IC and/or Cairo for the board victory can make a 1-turn difference or more that we all have experienced can make-or-break a game).

• '21 '20 '18 '17

@bryzz

There is one viable point made here, which is that russia lacks troops to defend the south. What is not mentioned is the factory you already have (Volgograd Stalingrad). Later in the game, Russia often lacks the troops needed just to block. They could walk all the way from moscow or be waiting down south all game, but if you failed to do that, building some more units in the south in the mid game might be a good idea to get some blockers in place.

For all the talk about how powerful Germany is and how imbalanced the game is, its odd that no one suggests making Germany or the Axis weaker, rather than the allies stronger. Or both.

Removing an air pair from japan or germany makes a big difference.
    And to repeat, why does germany get 70-80$? That’s what makes it too easy. The bonuses are too easy to get and are easily nerfed (leningrad volgograd moscow shouldn’t be worth 5, you could make them 2-4 and lowering the bonuses doesn’t alter Germany’s setup or first turns. Moreover, interfering with Germany and Japan money and production is way too difficult in comparison to how easily they can smash the UK or USSR economy (except in anniversary). By midgame, Germany has 2 greater and 5 lesser factories, we’ve tried partisan type rules to limit their vast choices.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m