TripleA still up and running! Many players online.

• @Romulus:

I received an official response from Wizards of the Coast to my email (organized as Veqryn suggested).

They said:

Thank you for contacting us with your concern.

Wizards of the Coast has licensed Axis & Allies and other Avalon Hill games to GameTableOnline.com for online play. We encourage Avalon Hill fans to visit Game Table Online to continue their online play experience.

So, I suppose there is not any planning of doing computer games or other. The reason for the legal action agaisnt TripleA is that GTO has the license for online play.

:-(

I got the same answer today, with exactly the same wording. After seeing your answer, I am definitely going to write back to them because that is no way to reply to a costumer, especially because that answer completely ignores some issues I mentioned to them.

• Yes perhaps GTO decided that it cant bite enough of the apple so they yanked the chimps about and told them: close down the competing versions of AA because we paid for a license to make AA and they did not. The hate may be redirected against chimps at GTO.

Yes i think we have an answer.

Game table online just shut down TripleA!

• @Romulus:

I received an official response from Wizards of the Coast to my email (organized as Veqryn suggested).

They said:

Thank you for contacting us with your concern.

Wizards of the Coast has licensed Axis & Allies and other Avalon Hill games to GameTableOnline.com for online play. We encourage Avalon Hill fans to visit Game Table Online to continue their online play experience.

So, I suppose there is not any planning of doing computer games or other. The reason for the legal action agaisnt TripleA is that GTO has the license for online play.

:-(

I gather TripleA was free and GTO is not?

Makes you wonder what GTO was thinking.
    Pay for the rights to market something when people are already using the product for free?
    What kind of cabron buys a ring for the village bicycle?

• http://www.battleforces.com/screenshots

This looks interesting. its AA but its not like Trip A

• Oh well, I guess we never ceased to be monkeys after all. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a15KgyXBX24

Hobbes - Great Chimp video link :lol:

I have the stable version @TripleA and it works, but could not get the unstabble version to download. It seems like it is pretty good as far as a free program is concerned, there are some bugs, and the AI is a dimwit sometimes, but still good fun. Obviously ment to be played against another person through sourceforge which is a lot better. I think it is a little cheesy for Hasbro to start worrying about this now as it has been around for a while and they are not really involved with AA anymore anyway. I think this all started with GTO as mentioned by Romulus. It is a shame as AA fans are some of the most loyal and they will buy every product (almost) AA comes out with.

There is obviously a demand for an online PC game version and even a stand alone PC game version of AA because of the quicker game play and less time require to finish a game and lets face it, this is the computer age and boardgames in general are almost on the way out. Personnaly I prefer sitting around the table with a bunch of friends playing a “real” AA game, but that can take all day or sometimes several, but at home after diner on a week night, a PC game makes way more sense. Avalon Hill / WOTC / Atari (or Hasbro) should make their own new PC version and simply blow all the others away and that would solve all their issues as AA fans would flock to the newer better game even if they have had enough of the “Chimps”, just because they love the game.

I actually have a copy of the original Hasbro PC game and I still play it now and then as it is not that bad. But with the new computer advances, etc, they could come up with one PC game that has ALL AA game versions built-in so you could play any of them anytime at home alone (Pacific, Europe, AA50, AAR, Battle of the Bulge, D-Day, Etc.), and they could improve the AI as to be just like facing an experience veteran human player. That would be the cats meow.

If they made this happen everyone would quickly forget about all the other versions and this would be the new hot topic. 8-)

• GTO is free for me and others who registered many months ago, (at least it still is free for A&A), but GTO need much more work and coding to be comparable to TripleA, imo. Maybe they’ll get there, but now they’re not even close, imo.

I would welcome any official software version which includes all A&A games, and a serious platform/server for online play. But GTO was/is not meant to be implementing all A&A versions online, and GTO lacks 15-20 features which should be implemented even before they launched the online application. As long as TripleA has many more options and features it will still be the number 1 choice for many A&A online players.

And even if GTO also implemented a LL feature lately, this is not enough for hardcore competitive A&A players.

• Customizer

I decided to check out GTO to see if it is any good.  Basically, the website only has 1 version of A&A, which happens to be Revised.  Also, you are allowed to play it against a computer player for free, but if you want to play against a Human player, you will have to shell out $9.00 (US) (and that is a one time thing, not every time you want to, just the first time).  There are also no options available.  Lastly, as far as the actual game went, I have no clue because it would not load despite my 4 attempts.
    All in all, TripleA kicks its a**.  Not only is it free, but I can play all the different versions A&A, and play user created maps or even make my own.  The rules are hardcoded, and there are plenty of options when setting up the game.  There is an in game editor for when you want to create your own situations, or undo something, etc.  There is also a calculator to give you your chances of success in a particular battle.  There are more people in an online lobby to connect to who want to play A&A (whereas GTO has a variety of games, so when I logged on there was not a single game of A&A going, nor apparently anyone interested in it).

Lastly, I have not received a reply to my email yet, but I read the one above (thx romulus).  This has given me an idea.  What would it cost us to buy the rights to A&A online from hasbro too?  If it is cheap, or if it could be sold as a percentage of advertising revenue (like, 100%, i don’t care) generated from an ingame side panel with some non-annoying advertisement, then maybe we could just buy the damn rights instead of going underground. 
    I’ll send them an email next week asking who I would have to talk to.

edit: also, I have decided to start playing webdiplomacy.net (the game Diplomacy), and would encourage people to try it out.  There is no luck involved at all.

• I have played Revised at GTO and well frankly their program sucks. I only played one game there and will never play another one. I think the view of the map is smaller than the old trippleA was as I have not played trippleA in quite sometime. Bids are not supported and if I recall correctly neither are LHTR. My impression was mainly it was some cheesy crap with more emphasis on graphics and sound effects than actual game play.

• As Subotai I registered on the Gleemax website and the registration was free at time. Now you have to pay 9.00$ (one time only) to play at GTO.

I have played some games and lately I go there to ses what they have now.
    You may play Revised, with OOB rules (no LHTR), they introduced some sort of bid (it is possible to select between different fixed amounts).
    The game is more involved with graphics (but they need at least some zoom feature) than with playability.
    Performing amphibous operation, for example, is a nightmare, you have to select every single unit to embark in each transport…

GTO should contact TripleA community and paying for developing a TripleA version for their website… :)

• LMAO @ everyone in this thread getting upset because Hasbro is protecting it’s intellectual rights.  I guess everyone wants to look out for their own interests, but in reality, the people in the wrong here are the developers of TripleA.  Whether the game has helped or hurt Hasbro’s business, and regardless of whether or not the developers have tried to profit from the game, they have stolen from Hasbro.

Hasbro has the right to protect/control its interests and everyone should stop being so selfish and realize the full picture.  Clearly, Hasbro would like to create a revenue stream through things like a facebook application, and Hasbro should have that right.  The developers of TripleA can make a similiar game if they want, but to directly rip of Axis & Allies is completely bogus.

• We want play A&A. Most of us bought physical versions (some of us had to import it because WOTC thinks worlds end after USA and UK)

We usually cannot find many players to play face to face

So we need play by internet

And we need some sort of program that allow us doing it without having the board in front of us

Hasbro not developed a proper program to do this in all this years. The old CD was buggy, has not revised or AA50 and anyway you cannot buy today in stores

TripleA is an altruist non-profit program that allows playing by internet AND gives FREE marketing for A&A products

Unless Hasbro develops a proper program that basically does the same as TripleA, Hasbro should stop damaging its customers. Because this move is only that: a unnecesary damage to customers, one that not gives any advantage to Hasbro. In fact, it damages Hasbro also, because almost none fan costumer will buy the “new” AA42 game after this damaging move. This game should be developed worlwide in stores or you will see that non anglosaxons costumers will continue playing TripleA (that will be their only option)

Until that happens, you can guess that the unnecesary damaged ones here, customers, will continue complaining

• @VectorWega:

LMAO @ everyone in this thread getting upset because Hasbro is protecting it’s intellectual rights.  I guess everyone wants to look out for their own interests, but in reality, the people in the wrong here are the developers of TripleA.  Whether the game has helped or hurt Hasbro’s business, and regardless of whether or not the developers have tried to profit from the game, they have stolen from Hasbro.

Hasbro has the right to protect/control its interests and everyone should stop being so selfish and realize the full picture.  Clearly, Hasbro would like to create a revenue stream through things like a facebook application, and Hasbro should have that right.  The developers of TripleA can make a similiar game if they want, but to directly rip of Axis & Allies is completely bogus.

Funnily enough all TripleA has to do is change some names and map design and suddenly Hasbro has nothing to protect.  Which is what is happening as we speak.  Please don’t get all huffy that a small team of dedicated enthusiasts is putting a large buisness to shame as far as product quality goes.

• @ Funcioneta, finally, after several months you post something I agree with  8-)  :lol:

• @Hobbes:

@Imperious:

Your assuming they are not chimps? Since they are chimps how can they be upset? They certainly are not upset about not lifting a finger to market their AA products. Certainly not upset about the rubbish manner they conduct business. These are the things they should be worried about.

I will send them more bananas to placate them. Chimps go wild over such things.

Well, we didn’t evolve from chimps, but had a common ancestor, and in my opinion chimps got the better end of evolution than we. Just look at it: to make them happy just throw the chimps some bananas, in our case we need television and internet and living in crowded cities and gasoline prices and laws and a bunch of other things. While chimps just stand on the tree branch doing nothing and when they are hungry just stretch their arms to get a banana or something.
    Hmmm…now that I think of it Wotc and Hasbro aren’t much different from chimps: just release their products and wait at their offices for the money… and if someone is also taking bananas from the tree, get a rock and throw at the trespassers.

Oh well, I guess we never ceased to be monkeys after all. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a15KgyXBX24

Overdue +1 karma for you. :-D

• Customizer

I did indeed.  But I can’t take credit for anything at all, I am not the dev, just a bum on this forum.

Also, in response to some questions about TripleA and it being “unstable” and so on:

TripleA 1.1.1.0 has just been released.
    It is a fully legal version.
    It is considered “unstable” but to be honest this is the most stable version I have ever played.  Never had a bug with 1.1.1.0, not seen any in any of the game’s I’ve played.

It has a working lobby, meaning working multiplayer.

Lastly, it is also much more user friendly than previous versions.  It includes a map downloading feature inside the main interface.  It is also very easy to develop your own maps and artwork for.

So for the love of god, or war-games in general, you have to go try out this new release.

Main Website:
    http://triplea.sourceforge.net/mywiki/TripleA

Download it:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/triplea/files/

Tutorial and Help website:
    http://sites.google.com/site/tripleaerniebommel/

thx,
    veqryn

• Heya, I am hosting the TripleA Supply Depot
    http://sites.google.com/site/tripleaerniebommel/ .

TripleA is available there, together with a 3-steps beginners guide (Installation, Starting a game, Adding more Maps).

I am not aware of any infringements here. No protected logos or names are used. Surely, I am thankful towards Larry Harris for creating Axis&Allies, without which - no doubt - there would not be TripleA. Nevertheless, TripleA is a computer game. Playing a live boardgame with friends is similar to, but still very different to playing a computer game. I can only recommend the board game. Live sessions are awesome. As is driving a real Ferrari compared to driving one in some Computer game. I doubt a computer game has to pay license fees to Ferrari, as long as it does not use the protected logos.
    And dont anyone care to lecture me on the differences between a car and a game. Might be surprising to some, but I am aware of them… ;)

Anyone aware how it is almost impossible to protect a mathematical algorithm? Talk about Intellectual Property there.

Regards,
    EB

• TripleA is a fantastic program, and I’ve had more games this week of Classic 2nd Edition than I have had in my entire gaming life!

I was dismayed when it was closed down by those squalid obtuse mediocrities at WOTC, but am so glad that it’s working again. I’ve been using it to introduce my girlfriend to AA2E, and we’ll be having a game on the actual board later this afternoon  :-D

• '10

:-)    tripleA and its many maps is the best thing going!

http://www.tripleawarclub.org/

• I may something crazy here, but playing and finishing a 12 hour game is something I actually only enjoy off-line… Nothing beats an all-nighter. Sure the wives don’t like it, but they’ll come to terms with it, you’ll see

Nevertheless I agree on all remarks that shutting tripleA down is poor costumer management, as well as unnecessary from a sales point of view. (I even think that most TripleA-players not only have avg 3,5 AA boards at home, they’ll probably also have the hasbro cd-rom, which was a perversion of AA in my humble opinion - enough reason to assume an implied license I say)

juh!
    :-D

@SgtBlitz:

WHAT. THE. F*CK.  Can we still play networked games on this thing with the latest client?  Cause I don’t think they can shut down that.

Seriously?  HASBRO???  They made ONE super shtty AA CD-ROM game like 10 years ago and are shutting down ALL of TripleA because of it?  I cry bullsht.  AA50 is Avalon Games anyway, is the unstable AA50 client gonna be able to work???

There’s like maybe 50 people online on TripleA at any given time, anyways!  Holy sh*t!  Like these people would be playing a game at home!  The ONLY way you’re going to be playing (and finishing!) a 12 hour Axis and Allies game is ONLINE!

Where’s a link to a petition or something?  This is ridiculous, as there are MANY of the games available on the TripleA client that Hasbro has NO rights too!  I could see them trying to get Classic or Revised taken out but the whole client is just FOOLISH.

Hell, how am I gonna participate in the ladder now, wanted to play matches over TripleA…

Edit:  BTW, may I add I have CLASSIC, REVISED, AND AA50 SITTING IN MY CLOSET AT HOME.  GATHERING DUST.  TRIPLEA WAS THE EASIEST WAY TO FIND OPPONENTS AND GAMES.  THANKS A LOT HASBRO.  NEVER BUYING ONE OF YOUR PRODUCTS AGAIN.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m