• Im pretty sure i know the answer but my opponent is not convinced so just wanted to be clear on this. In 13.1 under Participation it says ‘Germany and USSR are not at war with Spanish forces and cannot attack Spanish units or land zones(or vice versa).’

What happens if the nationalists and republicans are still fighting when Germany and USSR go to war?

If they align is there then no conclusion to the civil war in terms of VPs or free divisions?

Say Germany and USSR don’t go to war, would the nationalists align with Germany(or the republicans to the USSR) once they go to war with another major power?

Any clarification is appreciated, thanks.

• @jbuckbuddy I don’t know if this made it into V3, but in V2 it explicitly said if Germany and the USSR went to war, the sides aligned and no-one won.
    I think this is still the case, but I’ll need to check.

• @trig There is a dispute under the “no one won” clause. I’ve heard arguments that Spain is drawn into a global conflict but the civil war is still being raged even though their forces are under command of a larger nation. Thus you “still” need to capture all 6 if you want that victory point.

Also, the Spanish Civil War expansions have different clauses and outcomes that change this.

But I assume what I wrote is what you do in OOB.

• I think the civil war just continues as normal. If no one wins by the end of game, well no one wins.

Another question that should be answered is if any nation can declare on nationalist or republican Spain while the civil war is ongoing? I would saw by RAW no, because 13.1 it defines explicitly what each nation can do.

• @insanehoshi When the Civil War is over, Spain is no longer Nationalist or Republican, it’s just Spain and becomes a neutral. And thus you can attack it, Spain is very good for US to land in Europe within one shuck from the homeland.

• @caesar-seriona Sorry i meant while the civil war is still going.

• @insanehoshi No, you cannot get involved in the civil war except where the expansion allows it and how to handle it. OOB has zero ability to get directly involved.

If both sides align each of their side, they are no longer Spanish by rule.

• Ok so if Germany and USSR go to war while the civil war is still going on then the factions do not align and instead still operate as controlled minors to them?

Basically the factions can never align then, only a neutral(nationalist or republican) Spain can align and only under the circumstances mentioned in 13.1?

• @jbuckbuddy I honestly don’t remember because all my games usually have the civil war over before USSR and Germany attack each other and it also varies differently from V2 to V3 and which expansion you’re playing with but with V3 OOB, I believe the Spanish never align, the civil war must end.

• @jbuckbuddy I have your answer and I am certain of it:

In OOB the nationalists and republicans while at war do not align with any country ever. You can only interfere / intervene in the civil war in the ways flat are specified in the rule book. No outside country is allowed to declare war on a Spain that is fighting an internal conflict.

Once the war is won and conditions are met either the nationalists victor or republicans victor will align with their respective major power.
    A neutral Spain can be declared war on by outside Powers. Just read the rules for it near the end of the rule book.

In the basics SCW expansion the big fault of the expansion is that the sides will align to their respective major powers prior to the end of the civil war if the Soviets and Germans go to war.

Admiral editor. Expansion is similar to OOB rules.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m