Rule Question Fighter and Aircraft Carrier

• We’re playing the AA 1942 first edition. After the last round I bought an aircraft carrier and 2 fighters. When the new units are set up, the fighters are not yet on the aircraft carrier. Both are on the east coast of America. When it is my turn again I can put the fighters on the aircraft carrier and drive 2 sea zones with the aircraft carrier. may my fighters then attack during a landing operation? Thanks for help.

• '22 '21

@pillhuhn Haven’t played Classic in a while, but if I’m understanding you right then no you can’t- If they move together than they both End their movement together, otherwise they can move independently from each other!

• 2024 2023 '22 '21

@pillhuhn

Hi Pillhuhn,

No matter which Axis & Allies version you play, Fighter units and Aircraft Carrier units always move seperate from each other.

In other words, during movement when your Fighter unit is onboard an Aircraft Carrier unit, the Fighter unit “takes off” from the Aircraft Carrier unit when movement begins.

Exception:
    A Fighter unit belonging to a friendly Nation can land on an Aircraft Carrier unit that belongs to another friendly Nation (excample: a UK Fighter unit lands on a US Aircraft Carrier unit).
    When the US Aircraft Carrier unit is moving the UK Fighter unit is considered as cargo - and stays onboard the US Aircraft Carrier unit during this movement.

On the UK players turn, the UK Fighter unit can move 4 spaces, even though it “moved” 1 or 2 spaces onboard the US Aircraft Carrier unit.

So, the answer to your question would be, that the Fighter unit can take part in an Amphibious Landing - as long as this Fighter unit can do so within its flight range (4 spaces).

Captain

• @pillhuhn As @The-Captain said, fighters and carriers always move separately from one another, whether or not the fighter began your turn on the carrier. In your example, the fighter has 4 total movement points, starting from Eastern United States. It can attack in any space that it can reach from there and still have enough movement to reach the carrier where it ends its movement (or any other landing space). It cannot move on the carrier, then move another 4 spaces.

• @the-captain said in Rule Question Fighter and Aircraft Carrier:

@pillhuhn

Hi Pillhuhn,

No matter which Axis & Allies version you play, Fighter units and Aircraft Carrier units always move seperate from each other.

Not true (beside of course allied fighters, for which it is never true): in Revised non-LHTR, currently carried fighters which are owned by the same power by which the carriers which are carring them are owned can remain cargo of the carriers while the carriers move. However, in this case, the fighters (being cargo) are being moved on the board yet not actually moving themselves. So I would agree with saying that “if they both move, they always move separately”.

Of course, this is substantially off-topic because this is the “Classic” sub-forum.

I’m sure @Krieghund will correct me if I said something wrong.

• @cernel said in Rule Question Fighter and Aircraft Carrier:

Of course, this is substantially off-topic because this is the “Classic” sub-forum.

The correct sub-forum is
    https://www.axisandallies.org/forums/category/41/axis-allies-spring-1942-edition

• @cernel
    Just corrected the answer:+1: Thanks for reminding.

• @pillhuhn Thank you for all of your answers, they helped me.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m