Victory Points for Captured Objective Cities

• Old Rule, Page 16, 3.2 Objective Cities: “Each Objective City is worth one Victory Point. These cities are: Berlin, Tokyo, Rome, London, Calcutta, Sydney, Paris, Washington, D.C., Nanking, and Moscow.”

Current Rule, Page 16, 3.2 Victory Points Earned Through Capture of Objective Cities: “The following cities are Objective Cities: Berlin, Tokyo, Rome, London, Calcutta, Sydney, Paris, Washington, D.C., Nanking, and Moscow. Capturing an objective city from an opposing player scores one Victory Point for each Objective City Captured.”

Victory Points are only scored at the end of the game, so if Germany captures Paris, but subsequently loses it, they won’t score a point for it.

• @hbg-gw-enthusiast I believe so. I hadn’t noticed that change. Is it from 3.0 to 3.1?

• @trig said in Victory Points for Captured Objective Cities:

@hbg-gw-enthusiast I believe so. I hadn’t noticed that change. Is it from 3.0 to 3.1?

I didn’t catch it either until tabulating VP’s and Nathan Struble pointed it out to me.

• It must be intended to only refer to capturing cities, and not recapturing them?

• @insanehoshi TY. I edited my OP. 8 )

• '18 '17 '16

The rule has not changed. Only the wording has changed for this rule. At the end of the game you count up all of the Victory Cities your Alliance has in their possession, not just the ones they’ve captured.

• @generalhandgrenade said in Victory Points for Captured Objective Cities:

The rule has not changed. Only the wording has changed for this rule. At the end of the game you count up all of the Victory Cities your Alliance has in their possession, not just the ones they’ve captured.

Old verbiage (3.0), “Each Objective City is worth one Victory Point.”

In 3.1 that sentence has been removed. This sentence was added instead, "Capturing an objective city from an opposing player scores one Victory Point for each Objective City Captured.”

Those two changes suggest you do not get a Victory Point for possession.

• @hbg-gw-enthusiast My thought as well. The change clearly mentions “capture” which would not include such cites as Sydney, Calcutta, London, Washington, etc for the allies. (Assuming we don’t include recapture.)
    I’m not sure if I like the change or not.

• '18 '17 '16

I sincerely hope that nobody loses a game because the points were calculated wrong. If you guys had checked the Errata that was posted at virtually the same time as I had made my post on this thread, you would know that I had taken the time (as I always do) to talk to the game’s lead designer to make sure that I provide you with the correct interpretation of the rules.

I had a lengthy conversation with him last year to enquire as to why it wasn’t captured cities instead. He explained the reason being that the Russian Victory Points were easier to achieve and when they had play tested it like that the Comintern would win just about every time.

Knowing this I was skeptical that he had changed the rule since then. As I suspected, after calling him I found out that only the wording had changed but the rule was the same.

I may have made the odd mistake once in a blue moon a long time ago when I guessed at the correct interpretations. Even though I was usually right there were a couple of occasions that I missed the mark. I never do that anymore. When I post here it is only to give correct interpretations that I have verified first. I hardly ever do so anymore because I have no desire to argue with any of you.

Please read the Errata on this rule before you calculate the points at the end of your games.

• @generalhandgrenade Thanks and I appreciate your efforts on this extremely important issue!

Here’s the Errata General Hand Grenade is discussing:

Page 16, 3.2:
    Replace: “Capturing an Objective City from an opposing player scores one Victory Point for each Objective City captured.”
    With “Possessing an Objective City scores one Victory Point.”

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m