• @Redleg13A:

So, your implication is that the western allies should have foregone entering the war because supposedly hitler didn’t want war with Britain or the US? (Mein Kamph makes it abundantly clear his plans for Britain and the US)If he didn’t want to fight the USA then why did he declare war on it? What was the US supposed to do after Germany declared war…sit on their hands? Hitler and his cronies were bad dudes no matter which way you cut it. They needed to be taken out. Furthermore, the western allies had every right to prosecute a war on Germany not even counting the atrocities that were committed. Once the atrocities became known, how could anyone consciously think there was not complicity at the very highest levels?

The most affected areas of the allied bomber campaign was western Germany…the area NOT occupied by the communists…and also the area that received massive influxes of aid, money, and infrastructure repair from the Marshall plan. Your logic is “the allies were trying to keep the Germans down so they could spend billions on them later eventually becoming one of the worlds strongest economies?” I’m not sure that’s sound logic.

Let’s not get into revisionist history too much and stick with the facts. The nazi ideology was not only anti Semitic, but anti anything but german essentially. Remember, 5 million of the 11 million killed in the holocaust were NOT Jews but " undesirables". He didn’t just hate communism and Jews but Slavs as well. This was quite evident by SS treatment of the Slav civilians when they were doing the “noble” duty of murdering them once the fighting had moved ahead. The war in the east became a war of annihilation BECAUSE of the brutality of the occupying Germans. Fluff it up all you want, they needed to go.

(Mein Kamph makes it abundantly clear his plans for Britain and the US)

I apologize for going off-topic, but the above post requires a response. I’ve read Mein Kampf. Nowhere in it did Hitler express any desire to conquer either Britain or the U.S. He intended to get his required Lebensraum by conquering the Soviet Union. Nor were these just empty claims. Throughout Hitler’s administration, only 10% of German military spending went to the navy. The idea that Hitler intended world conquest was Allied propaganda.

If he didn’t want to fight the USA then why did he declare war on it?

FDR had ignored the usual restrictions associated with neutrality. American warships joined the British in search and destroy missions against German ships. FDR sent a flood of weapons shipments to Germany’s enemies in hopes of causing Germany to lose the war. Hitler’s decision to declare war was based on four beliefs: 1) the most frightening aspect of the U.S.–its massive industrial potential–had already been turned against Germany even though the U.S. was technically at peace. 2) After the Pearl Harbor attack, most of America’s naval strength would be tied down in the Pacific. It would be unable to adequately protect the ships sending weapons to the Soviet Union and Soviet allies. 3) Germany absolutely had to achieve crushing victories over the Soviet Union in the summer of '42. Sinking the American ships carrying tanks, planes, and artillery pieces to the Soviet Union might well make the difference between achieving and not achieving those victories. 4) Sooner or later the pro-war faction in the U.S. would succeed in getting America into the war; just as they’d succeeded at getting us into WWI.

Furthermore, the western allies had every right to prosecute a war on Germany not even counting the atrocities that were committed.

They did not. Britain and France ostensibly went to war against Germany to protect Poland from German aggression. However, France quickly broke its promise to launch a general offensive against Germany. In breaking that promise, it shattered the entire basis for Polish diplomatic and military policy, and also shattered the basis for a free Polish state. Nor was a free Poland part of the Allies’ postwar plans: it was obvious that if Germany collapsed, the Soviet Union would expand to fill the resulting void. The Allies’ food blockade of Germany resulted in the deaths of millions of Poles. Given the Allies’ cynical, brutal disregard for the Polish people and the Polish nation, it is glaringly obvious that their actual motives for going to war bore no relation to their purported motives.

Once the atrocities became known, how could anyone consciously think there was not complicity at the very highest levels?

As of September 1st, 1939, the government of Nazi Germany was guilty of several hundred illegal killings. Most of those killings were done by men acting without orders. As of that same date, the government of the Soviet Union was guilty of tens of millions of mass killings, including several million for the Ukrainian famine alone. The Allies’ decision to adopt pro-Soviet, anti-German foreign policies cannot be explained by any desire to prevent mass murder. Once war began, Britain and France imposed a food blockade on Germany. German officials estimated that, as a result of the food blockade, they would be unable to feed 20 - 30 million people within their own borders. The Germans allocated scarce food resources to the people they valued the most, or who seemed most valuable to the war effort.

and also the area that received massive influxes of aid, money, and infrastructure repair from the Marshall plan.

Anti-communist politicians implemented the Marshall Plan in 1948. From 1945 - '47, American occupation policy was driven by pro-communist politicians and their Morgenthau Plan. The intention of the Morgenthau Plan was not merely to cripple Germany economically and militarily. It was to use hunger as a weapon with which to starve millions of Germans. The Morgenthau Plan was only partially successful: it succeeded at “only” starving to death an estimated 6 million German civilians in the postwar era.

• Thats way off topic.

• @Imperious:

Thats way off topic.

In that case I’ll post something on-topic to get this thread back on track. And I’d encourage you to do the same.

Germany’s original plan to invade France didn’t involve a plan to take Paris or knock France out of the war. Instead the plan was to take the Low Countries and Channel ports; and hope for the best from there.

Von Mannstein, working together with Guderian, created an alternative plan–a plan many German generals tried to keep away from Hitler. In a tactical sense von Mannstein’s plan was far more imaginative and daring than the original German generals’ plan had been. But von Mannstein more clearly saw the bigger picture. He realized that if the tactical situation remained relatively static, the combined industrial potential of Britain + France + the peacetime U.S. would greatly outproduce Germany in the long run. A fairly high level of tactical risk was justified if in exchange Germany could significantly improve its strategic situation. Von Mannstein’s desire to change Germany’s strategic situation was also why he initially favored Operation Sea Lion.

Many of Germany’s other generals didn’t seem to understand the need to accept increased risk at the tactical level in order to reduce risk at the strategic level. They were overly focused on tactics; and didn’t have von Mannstein’s ability to see the big picture. Von Mannstein’s ability to see the big picture is one of the (many) ways in which he rose far above the average level of German generals; and why he should have been put in charge of Germany’s entire war effort.

• I know he was not a General, but Yamamoto was one of the best with his invasion plan of Hawaii.
    Great thread.

• @suprise:

I know he was not a General, but Yamamoto was one of the best with his invasion plan of Hawaii.
    Great thread.

Yes, he could have been one of the best if he actually had an invasion plan of Hawaii, but he did not because of lack of trannies. He just had a plan to sink some old obsolete battleships, and he even failed in doing that. Now if he had at least bombed and destroyed the harbor facilities and the huge oil depot, then USA would get one year set back, and the war would end in 1946 and not in 45, but it was no honor in that, so he would go for the old useless battleships. Poor strategy

• Rommel and Von Bock

• 2024 2023 '22

@aequitas-et-veritas

How could you choose just two? There were so many good generals during the war. The best general of World War 2 was Rommel. Some people might fuss about Rommel’s logistics views, but that can be argued over (like how Rommel was willing to weaken his own troops to invade Malta), but hardly anyone comment about how “logistically minded” Manstein or Guderian were.

The “Professionals Of War”:

Erwin Rommel

Erich Von Manstein

Walther Model

Tamechi Hara

Jisaburo Ozawa

Gunichi Mikawa

Raymond Spurance

William “Bull” Halsey

Georgy Zhukov

Chester W. Nimitz

Ernest King

Now, if I can choose just two? Rommel and Model or Manstein. If given good fortifications and positions, they might be able to achieve a 1:5 or even 1:10 kill ratio against the attacking forces.

• @kurtgodel7 But Patton had no counterpart. He was a loner often competing with his “counterparts” The question begs a symbiotic relationship or pairing of two men working together.

• @superbattleshipyamato123

Again!

Who do you think was the best comanding German General through WW II.?

There had been only two Sets out there of commanding German Genarals.

Good ones and ones …well.

• @yavid said in In GENERALS !:

You lost me at best general of WW2. I would have to say that honor goes to Zhukov. And to me it comes down to a simple question. What was the name of the battle Zhukov lost or his failed mission?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Mars

The offensive was a joint operation of the Soviet Western Front and Kalinin Front co-ordinated by Georgy Zhukov.

The battles became known as the “Rzhev meat grinder” (“Ржевская мясорубка”) for their huge losses, particularly on the Soviet side. For many years, they were relegated to a footnote in Soviet military history.

The Soviet forces concentrated for Operation Mars were much larger than the ones used in Operation Uranus at Stalingrad.[11] Military historian David M. Glantz believes that Operation Mars was the main Soviet offensive and that the narrative that it was intended as a “diversion attack” was a propaganda effort on the part of the Soviet government. He termed Operation Mars as the “greatest defeat of Marshal Zhukov”.

In the unlikely event that Zhukov was correct and Mars was really a diversion, there has never been one so ambitious, so large, so clumsily executed, or so costly.— David M. Glantz

• Its been 6 years. But I am still researching for the answer.

• @aequitas-et-veritas

As I said, the best German general of World War 2 was Rommel.

• @superbattleshipyamato123

again the other part of the question:
    “And who do you think would be fit best as his counterpart?”

Rommel had no counterpart in battle, so the two Generals that worked best as team was…Manstein and Guderian …The two best grouping of men without peer.

• 2024 2023 '22

@imperious-leader

As I said, Rommel would pair most well with Model or Manstein. As you said, Rommel didn’t have any counterpart, so I’m just pairing generals together based on their ability. Both Rommel and Model were excellent masters of defensive warfare.

I just don’t think Guderian was equal to Manstein in capability, which is why I don’t think they were the most deadly combo. Rommel was a much better tank commander than Guderian.

• @superbattleshipyamato123 Rommel didn’t pair up with anybody, but he commanded Both German and Italians. Manstein and Guderian both fought together on the eastern front. I don’t think this is a “dream scenario” but a actual experience of having one in command of the front or army group and another directing the schwerpunt (sp?) of the effort. Who did Rommel actually have as an front line commander? Remember this isn’t a dreamland scenario, or maybe it is.

• @imperious-leader said in In GENERALS !:

@superbattleshipyamato123

again the other part of the question:
    “And who do you think would be fit best as his counterpart?”

Rommel had no counterpart in battle, so the two Generals that worked best as team was…Manstein and Guderian …The two best grouping of men without peer.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/counterpart

a person or thing that has the same purpose as another one in a different place or organization

Under any definition of counterpart, I would say that the second question is “who do you think was the best commanding non-German general through WW2 having had a role similar to any one which whoever you named as an answer to the first question had?”. Moreover, since this is a war, I suspect the counterpart was supposed to be an Allied general (though I’ve written just non-German because this is not literally implied).

Maybe @aequitas-et-veritas should clarify what he/she meant (if he/she still can).

• Nevermind: I should have checked if @aequitas-et-veritas already clarified, which he/she did.

@aequitas-et-veritas said in In GENERALS !:

@CWO:

@aequitas:

And who do you think would be fit best as his counterpart?

Do you mean his counterpart in another country beside Germany?Â

Honestly?! Yes ,I realized after IL’s comment that counterpart also includes the meaning of a sidekick.
    I do apologize but I’m willing to keep it the way it is running right now and open another Topic later.

• @imperious-leader

Sorry if there was any confusion. How I interpreted the question is which general during World War 2 would have been the best partner to the best German general of World War 2 based on ability? Based on this, this seems to be a hypothetical scenario only.

Also, Rommel never fought on the Eastern Front in World War 2. Guderian and Rommel fought in the Battle Of France in command of panzer divisions, but they seemed to have little interaction.

• @cernel

I read that, but I am unable to draw any conclusion from the message you quoted.

• @cernel

And based on your updated question, I would put Rommel with Patton. Too very aggressive generals greatly liked by troops, and masters of armoured warfare.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m