• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

Hey all, had a question on paints I’m hoping someone here can answer!

As much as I’d love to really paint my armies in realistic schemes, I know that isn’t a project that will happen any time soon.

What I would like to do soon though is get some neutral color units painted in some colors that I need them for. I’m talking about militia, cavalry, subs, etc., to match the minor/neutral national colors that I use for them.

So with that said, does anyone have paint recommendations for HBG units to match what they have? I’m hoping for specifics, like a specific brand you like, but also a specific color within that brand. Like, if there’s a specific orange that matches HBG’s orange for the Dutch, for example. Or a specific color to match HBG’s Yellow-Green that I use for the KMT. Here’s what I’m looking for:

HBG Orange (Dutch)
    HBG Yellow-Green (KMT)
    HBG USSR Red (CCP)
    HBG Mustard Yellow (Romania)
    HBG Ivory (Finland)
    HBG Dark Grey (Hungary)
    HBG Light Grey (Bulgaria/Turkey)
    HBG Yellow (Nat. Spain)
    HBG Plum (Rep. Spain/Poland)
    HBG Blonde (Canada)
    HBG Light Blue (Free France)

Any leads greatly appreciated!

• Tamiya has some colors that are a fairly good match. Here are some that I used :

HBG Yellow-Green (KMT) - Tamiya Yellow Green XF-4
    HBG Yellow (Nat. Spain) - Tamiya Flat Yellow XF-3
    HBG Light Grey (Bulgaria/Turkey) - Tamiya Royal Light Gray XF-80

For Dutch Orange, CCP Red, and Plum for Spain, I used Premier or Painter’s Touch spray cans from the hardware store.

I did not need to paint anything in Light Blue as HBG has all the Free France units that you may need (and more), I believe, except maybe for a single TBD.

The best thing is to bring some miniatures to the store and match as best you can with the color cap on the can or bottle.

• @noneshallpass Thanks so much for the suggestions!

Just out of curiosity, is the spray pain you used glossy? I don’t particularly like that look on units, but I’m also not one to turn my nose up at an easy spray can job either haha.

So, for Light Blue (and really most of these units) I’d probably want a couple like Mountain Infantry, Militia, Cavalry. Those are the big ones popping out at me that I can’t get from HBG. And I figured like a coastal sub and a TBD, just in case those went Free France instead of Vichy.

But yeah, that was my ultimate plan, was to bring some guys to a hobby store and match up colors. I want to finally have one color for each of these armies instead of mixed neutral white haha.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

• I have recently found an fair match for painting Japanese units.

Tamiya Clear Orange X-26 was used here to paint the HBG Pumpkin orange truck. The result it a bit darker that the OOB A&A pieces (tank for comparison), but still good.

f5af5f0a-d3a0-4309-b975-760f5a251488-image.png

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m