Canada and Canada at War expansion question

• Hey!

I have a few questions about Canada and the Expansion Canada At War.

-First, Is Ottawa bordering sea zone 21 ?

-Then, On page 2 of the canadian reference sheet (https://www.historicalboardgaming.com/assets/images/HBG/GW1936v3/Ref Sheets/Canada-V4-32.pdf ), we can read in the corvette description: “Imp. Shipyard tech reduces cost to 3 IPP”.

I think, Improved Shipyard tech refer to the Improved Construction tech?

But why is it need to precise the effect of this tech there? Does that mean that the Improved construction cost reduction for the ship IPP cycle doesn’t apply for the one cycle ship like destroyers, transports or submarines?
    (For example: even with the improved construction tech, the subs, destroyers and transports cost is unchanged?)

-Last, on page 1 of the Canada at War expansion, in the section Peacetime Income Increase we can read: “Axis submarines end their turn on a British convoy line”.

The problem is that Italy has a submarine in sea zone 80, where there is a British Convoy line, at the start of the game in 1936.
    Italy’s turn is after the Canadian one, so Canada is always going to have this +1 bonus income on the first turn?
    Or Italy isn’t considered member of the axis at the start of the game?

Thanks for your answer.

• @didier_de_dax said in Canada and Canada at War expansion question:

Hey!

I have a few questions about Canada and the Expansion Canada At War.

-First, Is Ottawa bordering sea zone 21 ?
    I think so, but it needs an FAQ.

-Then, On page 2 of the Canadian reference sheet (https://www.historicalboardgaming.com/assets/images/HBG/GW1936v3/Ref Sheets/Canada-V4-32.pdf ), we can read in the corvette description: “Imp. Shipyard tech reduces cost to 3 IPP”.

I think, Improved Shipyard tech refer to the Improved Construction tech?

But why is it need to precise the effect of this tech there? Does that mean that the Improved construction cost reduction for the ship IPP cycle doesn’t apply for the one cycle ship like destroyers, transports or submarines?
    (For example: even with the improved construction tech, the subs, destroyers and transports cost is unchanged?)
    This is a holdover from v2. In it different ships got different reductions on the first phase of construction. Don’t read to much into it.

-Last, on page 1 of the Canada at War expansion, in the section Peacetime Income Increase we can read: “Axis submarines end their turn on a British convoy line”.

The problem is that Italy has a submarine in sea zone 80, where there is a British Convoy line, at the start of the game in 1936.
    Italy’s turn is after the Canadian one, so Canada is always going to have this +1 bonus income on the first turn?
    I’m not sure if you are using the updated 3.3 rules, but in them, Canada does not get any peacetime income increases. So this is a no longer an issue.
    Thanks for your answer.
    I hope this helps

• @didier_de_dax said

Thanks for your answer.

Canada doesn’t get an increase on their turn, they get the increase on the Italian turn, if they leave their sub there.

• @trig

Thank for your answer !

I didn’t know that there is an update for Canada at War. I found the correct version, maybe someone need to update the Canada at War file from this page : https://www.historicalboardgaming.com/Global-War-1936v3-Downloads_c_1462.html
    I was using it because it contains a lot of other rules and reference sheets, my bad !

@insaneHoshi
    Well it’s no more a current problem as there is a rule update now.
    But I don’t understand why Canada wont collect the bonus peacetime income on its first turn ? (if this was still up to date).
    The others countries collect their peacetime bonus income at the end of THEIR proper turn, not on the other nation turn.

P.S. @insaneHoshi I MP you on discord, if you can give me an answer please ? <3

• @didier_de_dax said in Canada and Canada at War expansion question:

But I don’t understand why Canada wont collect the bonus peacetime income on its first turn ? (if this was still up to date).

I dont see why they would? Their former (making this all an academic conversation) increase was if “Axis submarines end their turn on a British Convoy Line.” By their turn they mean the German, Japanese or Italian turns.

You might be confused, you may be thinking that those were “peacetime bonus income” but they are “peacetime bonus income increases”?

• @insanehoshi

Oh yes I see the specificity here. It was kind of a very particular case and wording usage for this reference sheet. I never see another situation were the rules are write that way, aniway now it’s outdated.
    I understand it better now, thanks.

“You might be confused, you may be thinking that those were “peacetime bonus income” but they are “peacetime bonus income increases”?”
    No, I wasn’t just understand correctly the “end their turn on a British Convoy Line”.

• @didier_de_dax ask any questions about this expansion @ fortressJinx

• @theveteran On here his name is @Jinx1527

• Hello Gentlemen,
    I have been summoned 😋!

Short answer in regards to the corvettes on the reference sheet and the mention of decreased cost of 3 IPP with improved construction:
    I simply mention it there as a reminder.

I know it’s not strictly necessary and perhaps the reminder should be removed. My desire was to reassure the players that yes, you can buy a ship with 3IPP even though it seems too cheap.

There are new Canada rules out for GW36 v3. There was a time when clicking on the link on the rules page would take you to the CAW v3 v3.2 old rules, while clicking on the link in the expansion would take you to the new CAW v3 3.3 new rules. I think that’s all sorted now.

As for Ottawa connecting to the SZ; I am not part of HBG so take what I say with a grain of salt; but yes. Ottawa is connected to the Sea Zone, and that’s the way I’ve always played it and seen it played in all our games.

Cheers all!

• @jinx1527
    Hey thanks for all this precisions !

• @trig yup, he wrote the expansion. So ask him.

• @theveteran I knew that.

• 9c6d2930-8111-4ad6-9cd2-b4c8b439b3f2-image.png

On my map, the St. Laurence Seaway connects Ottawa to Sea Zone 21.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m