• Regarding the distinct ownership icons used for the Canadian territories, I have these questions…

1. Why? That is, why did/does Canada need to have its territories marked differently from the rest of the UK?

2. Why wasn’t Newfoundland/Labrador so marked as well? (It is part of Canada, isn’t it?) Was this an error?

Thanks!
    Franklin

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18

@franklin_cain said in Canada's distinct ownership icons:

Regarding the distinct ownership icons used for the Canadian territories, I have these questions…

1. Why? That is, why did/does Canada need to have its territories marked differently from the rest of the UK?

This one is actually a bit interesting. Way back when these games were first coming out, Pacific 1940 and Europe 1940 were released about a year apart from one another, with Pacific 1940 coming out first. When P40 was first being revealed (as the entire G40 experience was hyped to the moon, information was drip-fed to folks via semi-regular updates from Larry), the map for Pacific 1940 got its own dedicated update.

You may or may not know from poking around this site, but A&A actually has a rather large following in Canada, so the fact that Canada clearly had its own territory, distinct from UK, coupled with the facts that:

1. ANZAC was its own country.
    2. “UK Pacific” (i.e. India) was its own country.
    3. Larry promised that the presence of a special Canada territory marker was “significant” (or something like that, it’s been like 11 years since these games came out lol. Someone correct me if I’m wrong on this).

hopes were high that Canada was in fact going to be its own playable country. However, when Europe 1940 was being revealed, and the playable countries were announced, there was no unique Canada faction. Instead, the Canada territory markers were given some excuse like “to pay tribute to the heroism/exploits that Canadians made during World War II”, citing stuff like Canadian Action during D-Day, etc.

So, tl;dr: the Canada markers mean nothing, but are a neat tease at what could have been.

1. Why wasn’t Newfoundland/Labrador so marked as well? (It is part of Canada, isn’t it?) Was this an error?

IIRC, historically, Newfoundland wasn’t part of the Dominion of Canada, and during the 30s and 40s was a direct colony of Britain. An actual Canadian probably knows this history better than me though. I just used Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newfoundland_and_Labrador#Commission_of_Government_and_Canadian_Confederation)

• So, tl;dr: the Canada markers mean nothing, but are a neat tease at what could have been.

Well, fooey. Sorry, Canada. Maybe in “House Rules” territory, you’ll be promoted to a separate power (ala France or ANZAC).

(snip interesting trivia on Canadian history)

Thanks for the history lesson(s). ;-)
    Franklin

• @franklin_cain Dude it’s always people FROM Canada who push this agenda. If we had alot of say Mexican folks, they would want Mexican flying saucers and super battleships, etc. Its just ridiculous! Its totally imbalancing the game to allow a new turn sequence. If you want to represent Canada, just get a bag of ZOMBIES and for every 2 infantry you build, one “disappears” and is removed from play to represent ZOMBIES, which as we all know represent draftees that dodged the draft and ran away from service prompting a crisis. Now enjoy life and watch for people promoting agendas.

• @imperious-leader I thought you were just trolling for a minute before I remembered that “Zombie” is what they called draft dodgers in Canada lol.

• @domanmacgee What they called “draft dodgers” was pretty much everyone making the Canadian contribution largely a naval affair.

• PantherP Panther forked this topic on
  • P PhillyPlayer referenced this topic on

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m