Italy at War & North Africa/Mediterranean at War "Expansion" Ideas

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

ITALY AT WAR.pdf
    North Africa-Mediterranean Expansion.pdf

Hey all,

I’ve been working on the two linked docs a bunch for a while now. I had parental leave for 12 weeks earlier this year with no work other than watching my son. So between his naps in that time frame, and the wider pandemic overall, I had taken the time to work out these two “expansion” ideas. I have PDF’s uploaded to the top of the link here for anyone interested, but I’ll response with two subsequent posts with everything copied here as well for potential ease for everyone.

I thought about making this two separate posts, but the more I thought about, the more the two can possibly have some overlap to them.

I thought about these strictly in terms of existing Global War 1936 game play, and in ways that seemed to mirror already existing Expansions HBG has for sale currently to play. As in, I tried to not deviate to largely unknown realms of GW game play here, but wanted some ideas to spice up these theaters of the war a bit more.

For both, I like to think of expansion ideas of being “internally balanced”. As in, I didn’t want to create something that was very obviously pro-Axis or Pro-Allied. I wanted to make something where, if one side was given a bonus, I wanted to either give the other a somewhat corresponding bonus, or a negative effect to the existing side balance it out. Giving Italy special units, but making their Infantry retreat on a +10 D12 roll is kind of an example of that.

The North Africa/Med “Expansion” is one that I’ve play tested a decent amount. I wouldn’t say it’s a ton of playtesting, but enough that I’d felt comfortable passing on to HBG to see if it’s something they wanted to use either in full or in part. Here I wanted to give localized bonuses that wouldn’t directly affect other theaters. For example, the Afrika Korps, Italian Divisions, and 8th Army can only use their special abilities in Africa, and couldn’t then also be used later against the USSR, Asia, etc. Something that directly affected this area is what I was shooting for. I wanted to bring the Med Islands into the game a bit more, namely Malta and it’s real-war significance. But also wanted to get other ground forces in Africa to make it more diverse.

The Italy “Expansion” has not been play tested by me in the same way. I’ve implemented some parts of it in games at times, but not to the extent I’ve written out. HBG seems somewhat receptive to the North Africa/Med rules that I figured I’d get Italy ones written down too. I did not send the Italy one to them, so don’t have any idea of any reception to it from their point of view. If I’d play tested at all I think I would have. For this one, I really wanted to explore two main realms of potential Italy game play: 1) The Balkans/Greece; 2) The Italian surrender to the Allies and subsequent take over from Germany. I thought the Balkans/Greece theater would be fun to give the Italians/Axis some abilities there. I also wanted to explore the Italian surrender so as to give the Axis some opportunity to potentially prolong Italian gameplay a bit if they see the writing on the wall.

I’m largely curious what you all think of these. Any and all feedback welcome! I’d be curious to hear what you think does or doesn’t work, or if you had any other ideas to add or supplement! No criticism is too harsh haha.

North Africa/Mediterranean War Expansion

Mediterranean Warfare

• Mediterranean IslandsAll of my thoughts in this section essentially have to do with bringing some of those Mediterranean islands into the fighting. Obviously, each game is different, but it’s conceivable that Sicily and Crete see no action in a game without any reason to go there. Malta is already part of one of Italy’s victory objectives, but it seemed like a good opportunity to spice up the importance of Malta in this “Expansion” scenario.

o Crete (Operation Mercury)

Background – The German invasion of Crete in May 1941 was a high cost victory for the Germans, and effectively ended paratrooper operations within the German military. While nothing more transpired in the wake of the invasion, there were two effects.
    • 1) The Allies were sure that the occupation of Crete was a prelude to amphibious assaults in Egypt, as the island would be needed for forward airbases to cover any type of assault. Though none ever came, Allied command was on high alert from there on.
    • 2) As it turned out, the occupation of Crete, for the Germans, was no more than a shoring up of its southern defenses in preparation for Operation Barbarossa, to begin just over a month later.
    Rule – Axis forces must be in possession of Crete to attempt any amphibious assault directly on originally controlled British territory in Sea Zone 81. – My only thought on this one was to bring Crete into the game somehow. It has such an interesting place in the war as the only true German airborne operation that it seemed like a way to force conflict there. While the assaults south never happened in real life, this rule might force the Axis to want to attack Crete, and likewise the Allies to defend it.

o Malta (Operation Herkules)

Background – While ultimately never attempted, the German and Italy armies had plans to invade Malta in mid-1942. Malta proved a massive thorn in the side of Axis shipping in the Mediterranean throughout the war, as air forces from the island were able to disrupt convoys heading from Europe to Africa, and also proved vital to supplying the British in Egypt. While hardly defended early in the war (a missed Axis opportunity for occupation), the Allies were slowing able to build up defense there to maintain a hold on the island to continue.
    Rule – As long as there is at least one Fighter, Tactical Bomber, or Medium Bomber stationed on Malta, the British get a “free” convoy raiding roll on the Italian convoy with a modifier of +1 (does not stack for multiple planes). The plane has to take off on its Combat Movement Phase to conduct the convoy raid, it’s just inherently given the convoy raid if a plane started the turn on Malta. The Axis powers cannot attempt interdiction or supply modifiers of their own. It comes down to the standard D6 roll with the Allied +1 modifier, giving them a slight advantage. – My thinking here is that, while a disadvantage to the Axis, this will force the Axis to want to rid itself of the threat since the Axis don’t have any other way to interdict the convoy raiding, and/or cause the Allies to attempt a stronger defense of the island than they may have otherwise. I know Malta is already needed for Italy’s Mediterranean Victory Objective (assuming they go for the three territories needed and not the capital ships aspect of it), but thought this might bring Malta more into the game. I didn’t want to force the British to have to use said plane in the convoy raid, but it might make sense to do that, otherwise they could almost “double-dip” and start the turn on Malta for the convoy raid, but then also use that plane elsewhere in their Combat Movement Phase.

o Sicily (Operation Husky)

Background – The Allies invaded Sicily in July 1943. This served as an initial launching point to the larger invasion of Italy, but was also largely important to protect Allied shipping in the Mediterranean. Allied shipping had been closed for the early parts of the war, due largely to Axis air power stationed on Sicily. The Allies wanted to be rid of this threat to help ensure safe shipping.
    Rule - As long as there is at least one Fighter, Tactical Bomber, or Medium Bomber stationed on Sicily, the Italians/Germans get a “free” convoy raiding roll on the British convoy with a modifier of +1 (does not stack for multiple planes). The plane has to take off on its Combat Movement Phase to conduct the convoy raid, it’s just inherently given the convoy raid if a plane started the turn on Sicily. The Allied powers cannot attempt interdiction or supply modifiers of their own. It comes down to the standard D6 roll with the Axis +1 modifier, giving them a slight advantage. – Basically, the same thoughts/ideas as the Malta rule above. Again, I didn’t want to overpower the ability by allowing the plane the free convoy raid, but to then also conduct another Combat Movement. I again just thought this might be a neat way to bring Sicily into the game. Unlike Malta, there is not specific rule already in place (unless I’m misremembering) that would really cause the Allies to invade Sicily and not just bypass. This might force conflict in Sicily on the part of the Allies since they don’t have any other way to interdict the convoy raiding, while also giving the Axis more a reason to want to defend it. I debated for this one allowing a +1 modifier per plane, given the overall stronger Allied convoy line in the Mediterranean, but that seemed too strong given no one can interdict.

North African Warfare

• Nation Specific RulesI thought finding a way to add North African unique flavor would be fun. I think your new Desert Rules go a long way in that regard in the base game for sure! This is all obviously thought of in the context of an expansion to “spice” up another region. But I wanted to try and color each of the realistic players in the area as having something fun to do in this expansion. France is glaringly omitted, but I think that’s probably to be expected from a historical standpoint!

o Germany

Background – The German Afrika Korps proved largely effective at times against stronger opposition and despite logistical issues under the command of Rommel.
    Rule
    • The Germans may build Afrika Korps land units for an extra +1 IPP per unit. Only 8 Afrika Korps Units can be on the board at any given time. Destroyed units may be rebuilt.
    • While in Africa, units with an Afrika Korps roundel do not suffer the Desert attacking penalty of -1 Attack, and vehicle class units with an Afrika Korps roundel do not suffer the Desert attacking penalty of retreating on a roll of “12”. – My thoughts here largely encompass your existing Afrika Korps Expansion. I obviously didn’t want to list your own rules back to you, but I assume the Afrika Korps rules here of the whole scheme intended. This might be one of those where you’d add your “If using the Afrika Korps Expansion all rules apply here”. And if not using that expansion maybe you just use what I said above re max of 8 units on the board at a time.
    o Italy

Background – The Italian Army had overall command of the North Africa theater of war, given that Axis possessions in Africa were all Italian. A precarious hierarchy of command existed between the Germans and Italians.
    Rule
    • The Italians may build the Littorio & Ariete Divisions at +1 IPP the existing cost, or by upgrading an existing unit at +1 IPP. The divisions much be vehicle class, and only two can be on the board at any given time. Destroyed units may be rebuilt.
    o While in Africa, units with the Littorio and Ariete roundels do not suffer the Desert attacking penalty of -1 Attack, and vehicle class units with the Littorio and Ariete roundels do not suffer the Desert attacking penalty of retreating on a roll of “12”.
    • At the beginning of their turn, the Italian player may decide to take command of up to 3 German Afrika Korps units in Africa. These units would move and fight with the Italian player as if Italian units, and choses what casualties are taken in combat. On the Germans’ non-combat movement phase, they may decide to take control of their units again. The units could not move in that non-combat movement phase, but would be retained under German control for the next player turn. This rule can happen any time during the game. This ability cannot be used outside of Africa. – Direct inspiration from your Chinese Expeditionary Force rule in the China at War Expansion. Thought it could be a fun way to show joint operations in Africa, while giving a little juice to the Italian player.
    • Italian infantry units surrendered in large numbers over the course of the North African campaign, with many not seeing fighting and dying for colonial Libya worth it. On a attack or defense roll of “12”, Italian regular infantry (i.e. not Airborne, Mountain, etc.) units “surrender” and are removed from play as if taken casualty. – I’m not sold on this. But ultimately, I wanted to try and balance out the rules here a bit more and thought this might help the Allies a bit more.
    o British

8th Army

Background – The British Empire held their North Africa territories in high strategic regard, particularly in defending the Suez Canal for convoy purposes. A multi-national force of Commonwealth nations of English, Australian, New Zealand, Indian, Canadian, and South African units made up units largely made up the British 8th Army (as well as Greek, French, Czech, and Polish units), formed in the Fall of 1941.
    Rule – On the next British turn after being at war with Germany and/or Italy, the British player may option to form the 8th Army in Eastern Egypt.
    o The British Empire pays 12 IPP for the formation of the 8th Army. This cost can be split between the Commonwealth Nations any way they see fit, but the FEC and ANZAC have to pay at least 1 IPP each (If playing with the Canada at War Expansion they may also pay towards this cost, but is not forced to like FEC and ANZAC).
     Place one each ANZAC (2nd New Zealand Division Roundel), FEC (4th Indian Division Roundel), and South African (1st South African Division Roundel) infantry units in Eastern Egypt. These units are placed “for free” with the scheme, and are not taken from existing units.
     Place three other 8th Army roundels (7th British Armored Division, 1st Army Tank Brigade, 4th Armored Brigade) under three existing British units in Eastern Egypt. – I’m obviously implying a set of your great roundels here. I think you actually 5 of 6 of these already, with only a 4th Indian Division roundel missing.
     Only six 8th Army units may be on the board at any given time. If an existing 8th Army unit is destroyed, it may be rebuilt at +1 IPP unit cost.
     8th Army units have a +1 defense in originally British Territory in Africa.

Long Range Desert Group (LRDG)/Long Range Patrol (LRP)

Background – The LRDG/LRP were British reconnaissance and raiding units in North Africa formed in mid-1940. These units often operated behind enemy lines and were considered experts in desert navigation. – This ruleset is obviously largely inspired by your Partisans Expansion, and I suppose partly your Special Operations Forces Expansion. Probably would add a line of “If using the Special Operations Forces Expansion, use those rules instead”.
    Rule
    o At the cost of 2 IPP the British player can build the LRDG. If the unit is destroyed it may be rebuilt, but only one may exist on the board at any given time. Can only be used in Africa. It has a movement of 1, attack of 2*, and a defense of 2.
     *This attack value can be used to attack IPP instead as defined below.
    o The LRDG unit serves as a hybrid Partisan unit, except it can move and has an attack value.
    o The LRDG is not affected by Desert Rule combat weaknesses.
    o The LRDG may move into an enemy territory on its Combat Movement Phase without making an actual attack and instead moving behind enemy lines and staying there like a Partisan unit would. This unit is able to move even deeper into enemy territory on its next turn if it so desires, regardless of enemy troops stationed in the same territory. It may move towards its own alliances’ territory and any point during its non-combat movement phase.
    o The LRDG has the choice of either using its combat value in a standard attack, or it may attempt to attack the territories IPP value instead.
     If attacking a territories IPP value, roll a D12. On a roll of “2” or less, the enemy nation must give up IPP to the bank.
    o When behind enemy lines, the LRDG may only be attacked by infantry class units. It may, in lieu of a defense roll, fade away, at which point combat ends and the LRDG unit stays in the territory.
    o The LRDG disrupts a line of supply and rail movement.

• U.S./Allied Invasion of North Africa (Operation Torch)

o Tunisia

Background – The U.S. led Operation Torch had an overall goal of reaching Tunis, and its desired proximity to Sicily. Landings in Morocco and Algeria were only possible, and not further east due to Axis air superiority from Sardinia and Sicily. The Allied objective was to land in those western countries and move east as quickly as possible. Due to uncertainty of what local Vichy forces would do, the Allies ultimately moved too slowly to reach Tunis before the Axis. Alternatively, the Axis forces moved much more quickly than anticipated and dug in around Tunis before the Allies got there, with massive airlifts delivering quick reinforcements to the city, beginning a 6-month defense of the city before evacuating.
    Rule
    • Allied forces cannot amphibiously invade the Tunisia territory. Any landings from the west would have to take place at either Morocco or Northern Algeria.
    • On the turn an Allied nation (including Free France) attacks one or both of Morocco/Northern Algeria, the German and/or Italian players may opt to take control of Tunisia regardless of Vichy France’s status.
    o Important to note the difference of Free French and other Allied attacks. If other Allies attack Vichy, Vichy would Align with Germany immediately, making this a non-issue. But if only Free France attacks, Vichy would not Align per the rules. This enables the Axis powers to secure the vital port of Tunis regardless of Vichy status.
    • The turn an Axis nation takes control of Tunisia (if previously Vichy possessed), place one free fortification. This fortification defends all Tunisia, and not just one particular border (similar to an island or city fortification). If the Axis already possessed Tunisia (i.e. Tunisia turned Free French and was subsequently attacked earlier), then place the fortification as soon as Morocco and/or Northern Algeria are attacked by the Allies.
    • The German player also places one free infantry in Tunisia to signify the rapid airlift of force to the city after occupation.

ITALY AT WAR

• Units

o Black Shirt MilitiaI know these were removed from the V2 base game, but I thought they’d be a great unit to add back into this “Italy Expansion”.
     A:2 D:2 M:1 C:2
    • Black Shirt Militia can move outside of Italian Home Country.
    • Maximum of 2 can be built per turn.
    • Must be built in Home Country.

o BersaglieriDebated making this mountain infantry but didn’t want to make them too strong.
     A:3 D:5 M:1 C:4
    • Elite Italian Infantry.
    • Maximum of 2 can be built per turn. Only 6 can be on the board at any given time. Can be rebuilt if destroyed.
    • Must be built in Home Country.

• Abilities

o The Italian 8th Army (Italian Army in Russia (ARMIR))
     At the beginning of their turn, the Italian player may decide to send up to 3 Italian land units to make up the Italian 8th Army. – Similar to what HBG has for a rule for the CEF in the China at War Expansion. Thought this would be a good way to show Italian efforts on the Eastern Front.
    • These units would move and fight with the German player as if German units in USSR Home Country, and Germany would choose what casualties are taken in combat.
    • On the Italians’ non-combat movement phase, they may decide to take control of their units again. The units could not move in that non-combat movement phase but would be retained under Italian control for the next player turn.
    • This rule can happen any time during the game.
    • This ability cannot be used outside of USSR Home Country. If the units leave USSR Home Country at any point, they automatically revert to Italian control.

• Campaigns
      o France
      Italian Intervention in France
      • Italy may build a submarine base in Bordeaux and may build one submarine a turn, separate from Germany’s factory per turn limits.

Corp Aereo Italiano (CAI)
    • After the fall of France, Italy may lend Germany the use of one Fighter, Tactical Bomber, or Medium Bomber.
    o This unit is controlled by Germany and attacks/defends with German units as if German owned.
    o The plane must always end its movement within originally French Home Country territories, Belgium, or the Netherlands.
    o The Italian player may recall the plane at any time during his Non-Combat Movement Phase.

o The Balkan CampaignI thought making an Italy Expansion have a heavy focus on the Balkans region was a good idea. This brings Yugoslavia and Greece into the game a bit more. I worked in some negative affects for Italian units, while also some bonuses to Axis units as well. I didn’t want to overpower the Axis abilities too much. So, while Italy gains a couple units, and the Germans can get a free blitzing maneuver in here, there’s also a handicap to the first Italian combat phase, and the Allied chance to send some immediate reinforcements to Greece.
    Background: Italy decided to attack Greece in haste and started the Greco-Italian War. Angry with Hitler for not informing him of German plans, Mussolini wanted to show that he was an equal partner and decided to attack Greece without forward warning to Germany that it was doing so. The Italians attacked from Albania and were ill-prepared with not enough men or supplies available for rugged mountain fighting. In the first couple months, with Bulgaria having declared neutrality in the war, the Greek forces were able to concentrate on the Italians and pushed them back and even occupied Albanian territory. At this point Germany launched Operation Marita, the dual assault on Yugoslavia and Greece. Greek resistance soon collapsed under threat of being flanked from German forces moving from Bulgaria, and proper resistance was not able to be restored with the retreat south.

Implementation:
    • After the fall of France, and on Italy’s turn, the European Axis powers have the option to pay 10 IPP to the bank. Italy is required to pay at least 4 IPP.
    • Place 2 Italian Mountain Infantry in Albania.
    • On the first turn Italy attacks Greece, all Italian land units that attack in originally Greek territory suffer a -1-attacker penalty.
    • Germany may blitz through Yugoslavia to Greece and ignores the terrain features that ordinarily limit blitzing. This blitz ability must begin in Yugoslavia and end in Macedonia.
    o If the German attack is successful on this first turn, Bulgaria will automatically align with the Axis. This replaces the base-game rules for Bulgarian alignment and does not count towards the per-turn limit to activating Romania or Hungary. – Not 100% sold on this being something that can happen.
    • Immediately upon implementation, the Commonwealth (including ANZAC) has the option of paying 3 IPP to the bank. This allows for 2 Commonwealth infantry class units stationed in originally Commonwealth controlled territories bordering SZ 53 or SZ 81 to be immediately placed in Peloponnese territory without need to transport, as part of the British Expeditionary Force (Force “W”).

• The Fall of Italy

o Italian Surrender to the AlliesSimulating the Italian surrender and the ensuing German takeover seemed like a good place to go here too. Tried to get some fun parts to make this worth it to Germany to implement, while still giving an Italian player, who by now would have been close to defeat, a chance to play on a bit longer with a new capital and some partisans.
    Italian Social Republic (Operation Axis)
    Background: After the invasion of Sicily (Operation Husky) in July 1943, the Italian Government arrested Benito Mussolini, and soon after entered negotiations in September with the Allies to end the war. After the Allies landed in Southern Italy, the Italian Government formally surrendered to the Allies. At the same time, Hitler had been planning Operation Axis, the German takeover of Italy.
    • On the turn the Allies invade Southern Italy, the Italian Government surrenders to the Allies. The German player may choose to create the puppet state of the Italian Social Republic. This costs 8 IPP to do.
    o Northern Italy becomes the new Italian Capital. Italy does not lose it’s IPP when Rome is taken. Italy Surrenders when Northern Italy falls.
    o All other Italian Home Country territories not under Allied control are moved to German control. Germany collects the IPP for these territories.
    o Italy gets 2 Black Shirt Militia, 1 infantry, 1 artillery and 1 Mountain Infantry on Northern Italy for free.
    o Place 1 Italian Partisan in each Allied occupied Italian Home Country territory, and 2 Partisans in Rome once it falls.
    o Roll a D12 for every remaining Italian unit in Italian Home Country. Italian units in other non-Home Country territories surrender like normal and are removed from the board.
     On a roll of 1-3 that unit joins the new Italian Social Republic.
     On a roll of 4-6 that unit is converted to a German unit.
     On a roll of 7-10 that unit is removed from the board.
     On a roll of 11-12 that unit is removed from the board and replaced with a US Partisan (representing Italian guerilla forces against Germany).
    o Roll a D12 for each Italian naval unit that borders an Axis occupied land zone.
     On a roll of 1-4 that unit joins Germany and is converted to the German equivalent piece.
     On a roll of 5-8 that unit is sunk by Germany planes.
     On a roll of 9-12 that unit escapes to Allied territory and is converted to the US equivalent piece.
     All Italian naval units that do not border an Axis occupied land territory are converted to US naval units.

• @chris_henry I think that the invasion of southern Italy would give too much of an advantage to the Allies. they will only have to invade southern Italy

• @david-06 That’s just me.

• @david-06 Also, why do you do the “invisible” thing.

Sorry if I’m offending you in any way.

• @david-06 said in Italy at War & North Africa/Mediterranean at War "Expansion" Ideas:

@chris_henry I think that the invasion of southern Italy would give too much of an advantage to the Allies. they will only have to invade southern Italy

That’s funny, I think of this in the exact opposite context. I think this is a negative for the Allies. Remember, I say the Germans may enact this. Not that it automatically happens when Italy is invaded. The Germans have the choice. But by doing this, they’re making it harder for the Allies to take out Italy’s capital by moving it north. Also, if this scenario is playing out, clearly Italy is close to defeated anyways. This now allows for the possibility of some Italian units to convert to German control, and gets some Partisans in there for the Italians too. But if the Axis think they’re better off keeping Italy as is, they have the option of doing that!

@david-06 said in Italy at War & North Africa/Mediterranean at War "Expansion" Ideas:

@david-06 Also, why do you do the “invisible” thing.

Sorry if I’m offending you in any way.

I don’t follow what the “invisible thing” is?

• @chris_henry OH, I didn’t see that. I think this is a great expansion. The invisible thing is when you click your profile and you have a couple of circles Green-Online, Orange-away, Red-do not disturb, and gray-which is invisible. Gray is also when you’re are offline, basically not on AxisandAllies.org.

• @chris_henry said in Italy at War & North Africa/Mediterranean at War "Expansion" Ideas:

ITALY AT WAR

Units

You have to include the Decima Flottiglia MAS: Italian Commando Frogmen who were responsible for sinking or damaging numerous Battleships, warships and merchant ships throughout the Mediterranean. My favourite scheme of theirs was to use a “neutral” merchant ship with a submarine pen built into its hull to launch midget subs at ships docked at Gibraltar.

Also infantry units that can sabotage naval units is a great and unexplored mechanic for GW36.

• @insanehoshi How would they do so?

• @chris_henry How do you send in proposals? Of Expansions to HGB?

• @david-06 said in Italy at War & North Africa/Mediterranean at War "Expansion" Ideas:

@chris_henry OH, I didn’t see that. I think this is a great expansion. The invisible thing is when you click your profile and you have a couple of circles Green-Online, Orange-away, Red-do not disturb, and gray-which is invisible. Gray is also when you’re are offline, basically not on AxisandAllies.org.

Thanks! Yeah, I just thought it might be a fun little optional rule if Italy is in some serious dire straights. Will prolong them a bit more. They run the risk of losing troops in the D12 roll, but that would be the risk to surviving a bit longer!

Ha, I actually forgot about that invisible thing. I think I set it that way years ago and frankly forgot about it! I’ll change it now!

@insanehoshi said in Italy at War & North Africa/Mediterranean at War "Expansion" Ideas:

@chris_henry said in Italy at War & North Africa/Mediterranean at War "Expansion" Ideas:

ITALY AT WAR

Units

You have to include the Decima Flottiglia MAS: Italian Commando Frogmen who were responsible for sinking or damaging numerous Battleships, warships and merchant ships throughout the Mediterranean. My favourite scheme of theirs was to use a “neutral” merchant ship with a submarine pen built into its hull to launch midget subs at ships docked at Gibraltar.

Also infantry units that can sabotage naval units is a great and unexplored mechanic for GW36.

Interesting. I hadn’t consider that at all! I do also wonder, like @David-06 how this might be implemented? My gut reaction is it would be too powerful for a small unit to straight up destroy an enemy ship, right?

What if they operated similar to my ruleset for the LRDG in the North Africa portion? What about this:

-Have it be an infantry class unit that can operate behind enemy lines.
    -Cost 2, Defend 1-2, Attack 0, Move 1.
    -Maximum of 1 on the board at a time, but can be rebuilt.
    -It would serve similar to a partisan in that it can fade away instead of making a defensive roll.
    -Only infantry class units can attack it.
    -It can move one, and can move freely in enemy possessed territories, but cannot ever capture a territory.
    -It can move one on coastal water territories, and doesn’t require a transport to do so, like they have their own build in boats.
    -Maybe the rule is if they’re in a territory with an enemy dockyard/shipyard/etc. they get to roll 1D6 of damage to the facility? Something like that?

While this wouldn’t hit ships themselves directly, it would affect them by damaging shipping facilities. What do you think?

• @chris_henry I see that it’s green. Maybe their are like the Partisans that CCP could buy and they basically do what Partisans do except that they can’t recruit. I think the should do guerilla attacks, on a 1 for one round only and they can’t be shot back at. Maybe add in some target selection.

• @david-06 I got to go now.

• @chris_henry

@david-06 said in Italy at War & North Africa/Mediterranean at War "Expansion" Ideas:

How would they do so?

I would model them after the Devil’s Brigade in the Canada At War Expansion

Decima Flottiglia MAS

• A:2 D:2 M:1 C:3 or 4
    • Counts as Marines
    • Special Rule: Naval Saboteurs: May make raids against enemy naval units with a range of 1:
      A Decima Flottiglia MAS may make a combat move against an enemy naval unit within range. A single round of combat occurs with the commandos having first strike. They make a single attack at [4-6] (Naval Target Selection @1). [1/2/3] defending units may return fire. If the commando survives, return it to an italian territory within range (1).
    • Special Rule: Commerce Raider: As a combat move, may raid convoy lines. Range 1. No modifier.
    • Naval Assets: May make a non-combat move across seasons. Normal non-combat movement restrictions apply. +1 movement from major naval facilities as normal.
    • Unit Limit: 1

Italian auxiliary ship Olterra

• The Olterra was an italian merchantman partial sunk while at anchor at Gibraltar at the outbreak of the war. It was later towed to the nearby spanish port of Algeciras for “repairs” and evental “sale,” in fact from that port it would serve as a midget submarine hanger and base of operations for Commando attacks against merchant ships anchored at Gibraltar.
    • Once at war with the allies, Italy may pay 4IPP to activate this scheme.
    • Once Active this unit may make an unmodified convoy raid roll against any convoy line in SZ [XX: I forget the number]
    • No Defence Rolls are to be made by escorts or Adv. ASW representing these attacks occurring at port. However each time a convoy attack is made, the UK player rolls a d12. On a [1/2] the Olterra is identified and removed from the game
    • May only Convoy Raid if Gibraltar is possessed by the Allies.
    • Unit Limit per Game: 1

@chris_henry How do you send in proposals? Of Expansions to HGB?

I just emailed them haha. I emailed Doug and just their general email address. They say they like getting emails with ideas, but who knows how much they really do hahaha.

They have said in some of their videos in the past that they don’t like when people send them things that they themselves haven’t play tested in some capacity. I think they get a lot of things sent their way, and I’m sure it’s hard to parse through every idea to see if something that hasn’t even been tried is viable! That’s why I didn’t send the Italy rules in, as I really haven’t attempted that in any real way. The Africa/Med rules though I have. Sometimes in parts, or I solo’d a game with only units in that region or something. Just to get an idea of how they played.

Even that might have been too little for them, who knows. They said they thought it was cool looking, but I didn’t really hear back after that haha.

• @insanehoshi That’s really cool! I especially like the idea of them being able to convoy raid, I think that’s a great way to simulate their raids.

I’m having a harder time grasping a small unit like this being able to destroy a whole in-game ship. Just realizing how many ships a destroyer or cruiser represents in the game makes me balk a bit. But on the flip side, the cost of this unit being 4 IPP and having a maximum of 1 on the board makes me think it’s also a bit of a cost for the Italians as well to buy it!

• @chris_henry said in Italy at War & North Africa/Mediterranean at War "Expansion" Ideas:

I’m having a harder time grasping a small unit like this being able to destroy a whole in-game ship. Just realizing how many ships a destroyer or cruiser represents in the game makes me balk a bit. But on the flip side, the cost of this unit being 4 IPP and having a maximum of 1 on the board makes me think it’s also a bit of a cost for the Italians as well to buy it!

You may also wish to portray it as if it scores a hit the ship is damaged. Capital Ships with 2 hp are damaged as normal, otherwise the unit is crippled (Reduced to 2 movement, -2 to attack and defence). Can be repaired as normal.

• @insanehoshi That would be my thoughts. Something like this:
    A: 2
    D : 2
    M: 1 (may move without transport up to 2 spaces)
    C : 3 (or 4)
    may attack one ship in an adjacent sea zone per turn. No other combat movement allowed. Roll a d12. 1-2, sunk, 3-8 damaged, 7-9, no effect, 10-12, attacking returns to home country.
    If Damaged, a ship must be repaired by normal means (dockyard or shipyard) and cannot combat move or conduct combat. If attacked, it defends at 1.

• @trig You mean 3-6 damaged.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m