• And it was on this day that we celebrate the lives lost in the Big One, and the Great War, and every other war that said country had participated in. Let’s honor the fallen soldiers that gave their lives for the country through out history to the present day. For we all may love war games and specifically Axis and Allies, we ought to take this day as a break from any game of Axis and Allies, any game of Global War 1936, any game of Risk, and so on and so forth to honor the men of each nation, both Axis and Allies, both Central Powers and Entente, both home nation and foreign. For at the end of the day, we might be pushing plastic pieces on a board, but must recognize the bigger and broader picture to that of what these battles, wars and conflicts were truly fought by men of each nation.

Have a good Memorial Day.

• @thedesertfox yea a day to remember all who have passed. I think it’s ok to play though. Playing the games, to me anyway, honors all who have served.

Also a holiday, so a lot don’t have to work and have time to play.

• @barnee

Yeah, there’s plenty of ways to do it and whatever works fine, for me though I feel that taking a break from the game for at least today would be the right thing, but nobody is required or should feel entitled to do that. Just honor the fallen however you feel honors them.

• @thedesertfox said in May 31:

@barnee

Yeah, there’s plenty of ways to do it and whatever works fine, for me though I feel that taking a break from the game for at least today would be the right thing, but nobody is required or should feel entitled to do that. Just honor the fallen however you feel honors them.

And indeed, Larry Harris himself paid tribute to his dad’s WWII combat service in the introduction to some of his A&A rulebooks.

• @cwo-marc

Those things are legendary man, every so often I pull out the game just to read Larry’s notes in the beginning of the rulebook, they trully are a treasure to remember.

• @thedesertfox

As I recall, one of Larry’s introductions encourages people to meet with WWII vets and hear their stories, since those who are still with us are now elderly. I once had the privilege, many years ago, of having a long talk in Ottawa with a retired WWII naval officer who had commanded a Royal Canadian Navy corvette (HMCS Kamloops) during the Battle of the Atlantic. A couple of years later I had a chat, in Halifax, with one of the sailors who’d served on his ship, in the engine room. It was particularly interesting to note that the enlisted men were sometimes told cover stories about the operations in which the ship was engaged, whereas the officers (or at least some of the officers) knew the full picture.

• @cwo-marc

And that I can honestly say, is one of the most fascinating and intriguing things about talking with veterans from the Big One. Granted, it’s one thing to get the account of what it was like from one person in the war, but to be able to put the pieces together of multiple people’s accounts on what something was like, especially if they were on the same ship, in the same platoon, or perhaps the same division is such a privilege since in these days we’re going on 82 years now since the beginning of WW2, and it’s important to be able to get the accounts of these veterans before its too late in they leave us.

For me, one of the most powerful messages I’ve read from Larry had to be from AA50. To me, it felt that Larry was doing this out of what every bodies best interests were, and not only that but to make it balanced with a game that can reflect the means of what World War 2 was all about, one of the longer messages but one that I can say is worth the time to read over. The Europe 1940 notes were another favorite of mine as well.

• For me I always play D-Day game on June 6.

• @gen-manstein

Good man, I also play Battle of the Bulge on December 16 every year ;)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m