• This is also kind of a carry over from the Field Marshal Games Pieces Project.

As you know, FMG will be coming out with high quality A&A pieces for all 6 major powers, including some new units.

This thread is for talking about what rules will apply to the truck pieces: Attack-Defense? Cost? Movement? Abilities?

• Well i have no idea what these units represent and think FMG would spend its time better producing a new air or naval peice or maybe even a cavalry peice

in BOTB they were just transports however in a grand strategy game like AA50 all land movement is done my rail so it does not makes sence for these truck to be ferrying equipment around.

they could represent motroized infantry, that is infantry with dedicated un-armored vehicles transporting them, however then it is a major unit in the game as most infantry of the western armies were motorized.

i think if you want a realistic motorized infantry units( i would only add new units if they added realism) you would also have to the change the stats of the other land units signifigantly.

• these are 2-2 units that move 2 can blitz like tanks and cost 4 IPC

They are considered infantry for transport purposes.

simple

• i thought those were the rules for mechanized infantry?

arnt those usually represented by halftracks and other APCs?

• I’m hoping that the reference to truck will actually end up being a halftrack/apc unit, which I could see calling a truck…  (fingers crossed)

• In FMG’s original post they said there would be both trucks and half-tracks

• I was doing Mech infantry ( half tracks)

Trucks? what are they gonna be used for? The game has no logistics.

• @Imperious:

I was doing Mech infantry ( half tracks)

Trucks? what are they gonna be used for? The game has no logistics.

right, so FMG is  wasting six molds

• well perhaps the idea of mech infantry is in some cases to show a truck and in other to have a halftrack?

Japan should be a truck, probably Italy too. The other 4 could be with halftracks.

The idea of APC is post WW2 for the most part. Id expect to see them if they were doing ww3 pieces.

• In BOTB, each truck had six “slots” in which you could have either infantry, artillery, or supply tokens.  A&A generally has no supply tokens.  How about simply using them like a land transport, carrying two inf + towing 1 art?

• cost still 4 IPCs?  Would a “land transport” be worth that much?

• I just had a brain storm.  What if the trucks WERE the “supply tokens”?  Every turn, each player gets a certain amount of supply trucks.  They have no combat value.  They just supply the troops and move at 2.  Each truck can supply x amount of units.  Could that work?

• wait, wouldn’t you then have to have a naval supply unit?  :-( man…

• If you give the trucks the ability to transport men 2 spaces the cost must go up at least 1-2 IPC.

here is a new idea:

trucks:  considered like land transports and if attacked are removed and cant be soakers…

during NCM they can transport 2 infantry or 1 infantry and one Artillery TWO SPACES if they start in the same space.

the cost of these units is 4 IPC and again they dont attack or defend.

• @Imperious:

If you give the trucks the ability to transport men 2 spaces the cost must go up at least 1-2 IPC.

here is a new idea:

trucks:  considered like land transports and if attacked are removed and cant be soakers…

during NCM they can transport 2 infantry or 1 infantry and one Artillery TWO SPACES if they start in the same space.

trucks do not move soldiers thousands of miles. lets try to only add new units if it is realistic

• @Emperor_Taiki:

@Imperious:

If you give the trucks the ability to transport men 2 spaces the cost must go up at least 1-2 IPC.

here is a new idea:

trucks do not move soldiers thousands of miles. lets try to only add new units if it is realistic

They don’t?  If they have gas, they do.

I’m still thinking that maybe trucks could count as supply.  How would fleets work?…Nah, supply would probably add more complication.

Trucks 0-0-2-4.  I agree.

• @Upside-down_Turtle:

@Emperor_Taiki:

@Imperious:

here is a new idea:

They don’t?  If they have gas, they do.

I’m still thinking that maybe trucks could count as supply.  How would fleets work?…Nah, supply would probably add more complication.

Trucks 0-0-2-4.  I agree.

all major movement in world war two is done by train, trucks only take crap from the nearest railhead to the front. If you moved all the equipment by trucks you would destroy all the roads and the maintence on the trucks would not be worth it
    plus railroads are so much cheaper

• trucks in this are also trains. Thats also including horses.

it just represents the behind the scenes movement of material to the front. we choose to use the truck as the icon to convey that, but a horse or train PIECE would be less than satisfactory.

• @Emperor_Taiki:

Trucks and jeeps were what helped the Soviets win the war… that is exactly what trucks do, move infantry thousands of miles so they don’t have to walk - they also move their supplies to maintain rapid advances.

The Germans used horses - the Russians and Allies used trucks.

TRUCKS were a war winner…

• @templeton:

@Emperor_Taiki:

Trucks and jeeps were what helped the Soviets win the war… that is exactly what trucks do, move infantry thousands of miles so they don’t have to walk - they also move their supplies to maintain rapid advances.

your wrong, not one truck in the whole history of World War Two transported infantry or supplies single handedly a thousand miles. If you have ever looked at a map of Europe or the Pacific ocean this would be pretty obvious. Certainly you dont think their were trucks driving from the Factories in the Urals to the Kursk salient! All strategic movement of land units was done by trains.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m