• I probably should have added an update when I bumped the thread. I now attack SZ2 instead of Egypt and transport some troops from France to Libya on Germany’1 First turn. This puts the German Mediterranean transport with the Italian Navy to keep it safe and sets up a solid take of Egypt on round 2. I still carry out the rest of this as I described. I Fortify France on round 1 and understand that I will have to retreat some on the Eastern Front until I can get troops from Germany there.

As far as Norway and Finland are concerned short of buying ships on round 1 with Germany there is little Germany can do about them. Do not worry about it, Germany can make money elsewhere.

If Italy is being ignored use them in the Southern part of the Eastern Front and Germany in the north, Also if it has not already happened use Italy or Japan to take Africa away from England to keep their income low.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I often like the idea of keeping the german transport, if for no other reason than to use it as an extra for Italy.  Problem is logistics…

• I think on turn 1, a better German plane buy is the bomber over the ftr.

Range to hit sz8, sz12 or even transjordan if UK abandons and falls back.
    UK can not just leave 1 inf in egypt as italy could easily clear that would allow tank blitz
    This forces UK to leave egypt open so UK has to leave full force into TRJ.
    Now Italy can walk into egypt, buy a tpt and inf for a strong fleet that can move next turn.

You advocated a ftr and 7 inf
    I propose 5 inf, art, bmr.

Germany doesn’t need the defense so early round 2 (me thinks), you have enough ftrs already, especially when not over stretching by using the subs as fodder (versus losing a ftr) in sz2 and sz12.

• Yeah, if one is avoiding the G1 Egypt attack, then another bomber is a pretty decent buy for Germany.

If playing tech, then after stock-pilling infantry units every turn, one should be buying bombers as the opportunity arises.  This forces the UK to build more fleet defense, and with Germany rolling on Chart 1 when Paratroopers finally comes up, then Germany is sitting pretty.  Even when not playing with techs, infantry + bombers is not a bad purchase plan when playing Germany a little conservatively.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I’d rather go with a carrier over a bomber or a fighter, I think.  Gives me 2 more fighters that can hit SZ 2 coupled with the fighter and bomber in Norway, I would hope.

This assumes you attack SZ 2 with 2 submarines, fighter, bomber to rid England of that pesky Battleship.

• The only problem I see with that axis_roll is that Germany may be a touch short on Infantry. Also by purchasing the fighter it helps to offset any Germany may have lost in the combats on the first round. I really think either one is workable though.

• @a44bigdog:

The only problem I see with that axis_roll is that Germany may be a touch short on Infantry. Also by purchasing the fighter it helps to offset any Germany may have lost in the combats on the first round. I really think either one is workable though.

I’d rather forgo 1 inf for the extra range.
    But as you say, either one works.

• A44 -

I like the idea of attacking SZ2, but I’m running out of fighters to clear the oceans.  What do you think about this opening G1?

Sub SZ7-> SZ2
    Ft Nwy-> SZ2  (land in Nwy)
    Bomb Ger ->SZ2 (land in Nwy)

Ft NwE -> SZ12 (land in Alg)
    Sub SZ7 -> SZ12
    Ft Ger -> SZ12 (Land in Alg)

Sub SZ5 -> SZ6
    Cru SZ5 -> SZ6

1 Inf Fin 1 Inf Nwy (via Trans) -> BSt
    Ftg Pol -> BSt (land in Nwy)
    2 Inf Pol -> BSt

2 Arm, 3 Inf, 1 Art Bur -> Ukr
    2 Arm, 2 Inf, 1 Art Pol -> EPl

NonCom -

1 Arm, 1 Inf Fra (via transport) -> Lib
    1 Inf NWE -> Fra
    2 Arm Cze -> Fra
    2 Inf Ger -> Fra
    1 Inf 1 Art Ger -> Pol
    1 Arm Lib -> Alg

The reason I have two fighters landing in Nwy rather than Fra is to protect my bomber.  The Arm is to help protect Alg from an invasion from US.  Just in case they feel like taking a pot shot at my planes.  Doesn’t cost you anything.

Next turn the plan is to take Egypt with Germany, two planes from Alg, 1 Tank 1 Inf from Ukr (via transport if UK moves infantry from Trans Jordan), and everything from Lib. and tank from Alg.  Russia will probably take Baltic states, and unless they do it with everything (in which case I let them have it), I’d counter with whatever infantry I have left and my planes.

Regarding the game, the Axis managed to win (first time ever in our group).  Britain and US bombed Germany so it ended up only playing defense, but Japan and Italy gained momentum and managed to 1-2 Moscow from Caucuses while Japan kept the US at bay for just long enough.  Fun stuff.

• '19

I dont think you need to put the extra ftr in nwy.  Even if you lose one ftr in z2 you can always protect the bom with inf from Fin.  the UK has too many targets that it needs to take care of to try a risky air attack into Nwy.  With your opening they have to take out the cruiser in z5, the trn in z6, possibly leftover subs…  Only way you are vulnerable to a nwy attack is if you lose in z2 in which case you have bigger problems to worry about.

• Great idea this worked out very well Germany only took a couple places in Africa and Kerouac and east Poland at this point I put an IC down in France and Europe became very hard nut to crack and then japan did it’s thing the America went KGF so japan did what ever it wanted and took India Australia and Hawaii by this point Italy had Stalingrad so it was over only place allies landed in Europe was Norway but I pushed them back into the sea didn’t hurt that Germany had 10 figs and 6 bombers most of the later rounds I will keep playing a consertive Germany tilli see it fail

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m