• Sponsor '17 '13 '11 '10

Nice job!
    What infantry and bases did you use?

• @coachofmany:

Nice job!
    What infantry and bases did you use?

Ummm?

The infantry from Axis and allies 50th anniversary edition? It’s just the regular game models painted, nothing more. Oh, and some flock PVA’d to the bases.

• Captain Kiwi, are you familiar with Testors paints?  When I was a kid I use their paints for my plastic models.  I was wondering if that was a good set to use as an economical choice.  Those paints that you were talking about sound expensive.  Thanks again for sharing your lovely art work with us.  Oh by the way I remember seeing someones painted playing somewhere else and they used decals on their big ships.  The AC’s and the BB’s had them I think.  I cant remember where I came across them.  Do you or anyone know where those kind of decals can be obtained?  Thanks

• Sponsor '17 '13 '11 '10

Now you just need one of IL’s nice maps to put your painted AAA figures on!

• @coachofmany:

Now you just need one of IL’s nice maps to put your painted AAA figures on!

That would be both epic and cool……

I will be looking into it  :-D

• @miragehunter:

Captain Kiwi, are you familiar with Testors paints?  When I was a kid I use their paints for my plastic models.  I was wondering if that was a good set to use as an economical choice.  Those paints that you were talking about sound expensive.  Thanks again for sharing your lovely art work with us.  Oh by the way I remember seeing someones painted playing somewhere else and they used decals on their big ships.  The AC’s and the BB’s had them I think.  I cant remember where I came across them.  Do you or anyone know where those kind of decals can be obtained?  Thanks

Sorry my friend but i’ve never heard of testors paints. Any acrylic paint should be fine though.

As for an economical option, I have no idea. In NZ we have limited amounts of suppliers due to our small market size. I got the only supply of WWII paints i could find. Transfers, again I only used what was in store, or painted them on myself by hand.

Sorry I cant help more

• Thanks for the info. I guess I take things for granted living in the states.

• @miragehunter:

Thanks for the info. I guess I take things for granted living in the states.

Heh, at least you didn’t ruin a TV series ending for me  :-D

Some people forget that stuff screens in the US before it does overseas sometimes. We had to wait 4 months for the end of Battlestar Gallactica. Spent quite some time avoiding forums due to that

• Hey Captain Kiwi, how about painting my pieces? You said you like to paint, am I right? I would be your BFF

• @Brain:

Hey Captain Kiwi, how about painting my pieces? You said you like to paint, am I right? I would be your BFF

hehehe, got a spare 1000 bucks :)

When i consider the time it took to do, i think thats about the right amount to charge if I bill myself at 15-20 bucks an hours  :-D

• Hi

I love the finished product you have created. It’s inspiring.

Could you please post more pics of the fully set up board, closeups and the 42 setup would be great.

What did you use to prop up your planes? Could you explain the process you used.

Thanks

• @Rammstein:

Hi

I love the finished product you have created. It’s inspiring.

Could you please post more pics of the fully set up board, closeups and the 42 setup would be great.

What did you use to prop up your planes? Could you explain the process you used.

Thanks

I’ll take some pics next time i setup to play.

we don’t play the 1942 scenario, but if im bored one day I may set it up just to have a look.

As for the plane bases, they are made from a small washer for the base, miliput resin formed into a blob on the base. A thin bit of metal wire is then plunged into the base before it dries. drill a hole in the bottom of the plane with a modeling drill and super glue the plane onto the wire. Trim the bottom of the washer with a knife to remove all the miliput that has pushed through so that it stands flat. It’s a pretty easy process, just takes about 3-4 hours for the miliput to dry. Oh yeah, glue the plane on once the miliput has dried. then paint the national base colour.

Most of the stuff do do that can be easily obtained from a modeling store. Washers, Drill, Metal wire the size of the drill, Miliput or other modeling resin and a craft knife.

I hope that helps.

• Yes, it does help. Thanks.

I was pondering painting my sculpts this winter if I’m bored. I build 1:72 tank models, and thought this could be fun too, cuz you actually get to play with them!

I might wait till AAE40 and AAP40 come out and paint those pieces. It looks like they can be combined, and sounds like they’ll have more units and sculpts.

Again, very nice work. It probably really helps define the eastern front. I find that Russian and Italian units blend too well. Plus the borders between territories make it even harder to define.

Do you find it easier to play/manage the game with your planes propped like that? Takes up less space etc?

• @Captain:

@Brain:

Hey Captain Kiwi, how about painting my pieces? You said you like to paint, am I right? I would be your BFF

When i consider the time it took to do, i think thats about the right amount to charge if I bill myself at 15-20 bucks an hours  :-D

Does that include the pieces?

• @Brain:

@Captain:

@Brain:

Does that include the pieces?

Nah, probably just labour. I don’t even know if i could get a second copy these days anyway  :-D

• Well while waiting for the FMG pieces project to roll along I found another painting task to do.

Not A&A related, but hwo im keeping occupied until the FMG untis become available

http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/qq305/ithkrall/40k/

• Hey maybe you could use these pieces in AA. Call them the Hitler mutants tech.

• Hi Captain!,

I thought of a new idea for you.  You seem like the adventuresome type.  Because you inspired me.  I came up with the idea of board modding.  I thought that it would be cool to implement an small smoke generator underneath the board.  like the ones used in small model trains.  Then use a piping system throughout the board to the typical locations of IC’s underneath the board.  And wala! you have interactive IC’s!  Nothing like seeing smoke coming out your IC!  Now it looks like your IC is actually doing something.  Pretty darned cool if I say so myself.  I vow to try it someday.  Along with the operation paint party!  Also the implementation of led’s would be pretty cool too!

• @miragehunter:

Hi Captain!,

I thought of a new idea for you.  You seem like the adventuresome type.  Because you inspired me.  I came up with the idea of board modding.  I thought that it would be cool to implement an small smoke generator underneath the board.  like the ones used in small model trains.  Then use a piping system throughout the board to the typical locations of IC’s underneath the board.  And wala! you have interactive IC’s!  Nothing like seeing smoke coming out your IC!  Now it looks like your IC is actually doing something.  Pretty darned cool if I say so myself.  I vow to try it someday.  Along with the operation paint party!  Also the implementation of led’s would be pretty cool too!

An epic idea, but probably beyond my abilities. But you sir, you have a brain made for crazy ideas.

My hat off to you

• Just saw this thread for the first time – And after seeing the pictures, I’m in awe. These are absolutely incredible.

I really wish I had the patience and expertise to pull something like this off. Bravo.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m