• @pinch1

It sure has.

Hence why I’m not too fond of it.

I’m not going to argue the merits at which Sealion is effective in the OOB rules for victory conditions. Maybe it’ll get the win in the Grasshopper tournament rules with the London token but still. To me if the UK feel so entitled as to remove the majority of their fighters from London fine by me.

And yes, 1 fighter can make the difference of keeping or losing London

• All the same i still think Afrika Korps gets the job done more than Sealion does but for all in tense and purposes if the British are gonna do anything to divert this then I’ll use Sealion as a 2nd option. The Germans are weighted to win Sealion. Even still the standard UK buy is 6 infantry and a fighter on London because why the hell not

• @thedesertfox said in UK Strategy -"Middle Earth":

@pinch1

And yes, 1 fighter can make the difference of keeping or losing London

You’re missing the point. Similar to our debate over Moscow. I never said anything about not losing London. I fully expect London to fall if Germany goes through with Sealion. What I mean is a single fighter that maybe kills 2-3 units over the course of the battle isn’t swaying the curve too much in the grand scheme of things. The German losses and investment is still collectively too great to overcome regardless. This is the general consensus of the many who have played out these games.

London falls, boo hoo, allies cry, and then America arrives WITH the USSR instead of just alone. Germany falls, boo hoo, Axis cry. That is the way most of those games end up.

All the same i still think Afrika Korps gets the job done more than Sealion does but for all in tense and purposes if the British are gonna do anything to divert this then I’ll use Sealion as a 2nd option. The Germans are weighted to win Sealion. Even still the standard UK buy is 6 infantry and a fighter on London because why the hell not

I agree with this statement in and of itself.

Wither it’s 6 infantry and a fighter or 9, its roughly 30 IPCs dumped on England. Whatever you don’t purchase turn 1 you will turn 2 to cause maximum damage after you see 10 transports drop G2. Tomato Tomahto.

• @pinch1 said in UK Strategy -"Middle Earth":

@thedesertfox said in UK Strategy -"Middle Earth":

So then if we’re to do a head count here, I wanna know exactly how much stuff the UK can genuinly bring into a Taranto Raid.

To me, its genuinly going to take a keen UK player to know they can bring this much stuff into Taranto and frankly, even if a UK player did know they could bring this much stuff in, if they did I’d welcome it as Germany seeing that they’ve taken almost every single plane off of the British Isles with no logical way to get back until G3 which is the exact time I would be doing a Sealion attack.

So a combined German and Italian crusade could work inside the Med, the Axis just need to make sure they scramble those fighters into the fight no matter what happens.

Sealion has been known to be a Hail Mary for quite some time. It is arguably more of a liability for Germany because it costs too much. If UK purchases a full compliment of infantry turn 1(what I call the Dunkirk move) its not worth it. The cost is just too great. USA liberates it too easily and you don’t have the advantage of having pushed the Soviets back. You lose more than you gain. A single fighter missing from the battle of England isn’t going to matter as much as putting Italy in the pooper. Sealion if you play a noob who doesn’t Dunkirk. If Dunkirk happens divert, its not worth the effort. It’ll cost you more in blood in the long run.

I do think most competitive players understand that Sealion after Dunkirk is a game in the bag and would welcome it even more than yourself. This is why they elect to move an additional fighter off England. It is a comfortable thing for most to do. Especially for those who enjoy playing an offensive USSR.

This does depend on whether the USA has gone for a pacific build on its first turn and then what happens USA 2.

Not saying USA cant liberate it. But it’s easier or harder depending on what was built where.

• @squirecam said in UK Strategy -"Middle Earth":

@pinch1 said in UK Strategy -"Middle Earth":

So then if we’re to do a head count here, I wanna know exactly how much stuff the UK can genuinly bring into a Taranto Raid.

To me, its genuinly going to take a keen UK player to know they can bring this much stuff into Taranto and frankly, even if a UK player did know they could bring this much stuff in, if they did I’d welcome it as Germany seeing that they’ve taken almost every single plane off of the British Isles with no logical way to get back until G3 which is the exact time I would be doing a Sealion attack.

So a combined German and Italian crusade could work inside the Med, the Axis just need to make sure they scramble those fighters into the fight no matter what happens.

Sealion has been known to be a Hail Mary for quite some time. It is arguably more of a liability for Germany because it costs too much. If UK purchases a full compliment of infantry turn 1(what I call the Dunkirk move) its not worth it. The cost is just too great. USA liberates it too easily and you don’t have the advantage of having pushed the Soviets back. You lose more than you gain. A single fighter missing from the battle of England isn’t going to matter as much as putting Italy in the pooper. Sealion if you play a noob who doesn’t Dunkirk. If Dunkirk happens divert, its not worth the effort. It’ll cost you more in blood in the long run.

I do think most competitive players understand that Sealion after Dunkirk is a game in the bag and would welcome it even more than yourself. This is why they elect to move an additional fighter off England. It is a comfortable thing for most to do. Especially for those who enjoy playing an offensive USSR.

This does depend on whether the USA has gone for a pacific build on its first turn and then what happens USA 2.

Not saying USA cant liberate it. But it’s easier or harder depending on what was built where.

Sure. This whole discussion has been about countering GHG’s Middle Earth strat which works in conjunction with USA Floating Bridge. Operating on the assumption USA is dedicated to Europe from the get-go.

• @pinch1 said in UK Strategy -"Middle Earth":

@squirecam said in UK Strategy -"Middle Earth":

@pinch1 said in UK Strategy -"Middle Earth":

Sure. This whole discussion has been about countering GHG’s Middle Earth strat which works in conjunction with USA Floating Bridge. Operating on the assumption USA is dedicated to Europe from the get-go.

And if this is the case, then Japan should win the game by turn 6. Japan can make the USA pay for going all out in Europe. Or at least force USA to stop building everything in the Atlantic.

• @squirecam

Pretty much. I dont think it gets simpler than that. Either Axis power has the ability to make the US pay consequentially for choosing one side of the board over the other.

I stated earlier that having assumed Japan takes Calcutta as well as the other cities of course, all that’s left is taking Honolulu or Sydney to which the Americans by GHG’s standard will have been building mostly everything in the Atlantic. yes I know he says to also shuck units back and forward into Hawaii but that’s what the Pearl Harbor attack is for.

@squirecam

Pretty much. I dont think it gets simpler than that. Either Axis power has the ability to make the US pay consequentially for choosing one side of the board over the other.

I stated earlier that having assumed Japan takes Calcutta as well as the other cities of course, all that’s left is taking Honolulu or Sydney to which the Americans by GHG’s standard will have been building mostly everything in the Atlantic. yes I know he says to also shuck units back and forward into Hawaii but that’s what the Pearl Harbor attack is for.

You don’t even need to attack. Just build for a J2 attack and stack everything in Carolines that can reach. USA cant stack Hawaii because they will get destroyed. If USA doesnt build in the Pacific they get destroyed J2 or J3.

Just eliminate this whole floating bridge stuff right from the get go.

• @squirecam said in UK Strategy -"Middle Earth":

@squirecam

You don’t even need to attack. Just build for a J2 attack and stack everything in Carolines that can reach. USA cant stack Hawaii because they will get destroyed. If USA doesnt build in the Pacific they get destroyed J2 or J3.

Just eliminate this whole floating bridge stuff right from the get go.

SOLVED!

• @pinch1

Its like I was trying to say that for a couple days now somewhere else on the forums… -_-

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m