• @generalhandgrenade in you Declarations of War video, when you move your British fleet next to Tokyo you say
    « I didn’t tell you that was a combat move. I don’t have to declare War on you yet. ».

Obviously if you are doing it during your Combat Phase, you will have to attack something in that zone by the end of the turn, so Japan knows that if he wants to block you he must declare war when the fleet enters zone 65 first.

There has to be some leeway for the players to figure out the timing of the declaration of War, especially if you skip over the zone that you have to go through to get to Tokyo when you move your fleet.

• @noneshallpass said in The FAQ Thread:

@generalhandgrenade in you Declarations of War video, when you move your British fleet next to Tokyo you say
    « I didn’t tell you that was a combat move. I don’t have to declare War on you yet. ».

Obviously if you are doing it during your Combat Phase, you will have to attack something in that zone by the end of the turn, so Japan knows that if he wants to block you he must declare war when the fleet enters zone 65 first.

There has to be some leeway for the players to figure out the timing of the declaration of War, especially if you skip over the zone that you have to go through to get to Tokyo when you move your fleet.

Well, I can see situations where you move during the combat movement phase, even when you do not plan to declare war that turn. I agree we need clarification here, but on Page 34, 8.2 During Combat Movement, there are two examples which seem to argue that you could move during the combat movement phase, without necessarily declaring war. “Example: Germany wants to move two heavy cruisers into a sea zone with a medium bomber on MAP. it must do so during the Combat Move Phase even though the aircraft could decline combat if it wishes.” At the end of section 8.2, it reads, “Note that combat may not always occur as sometimes one or both players will be given the choice to engage in combat or not.” I like my interpretation better than GHG’s where the attacking player doesn’t “skip over the zone you have to go through to get to Tokyo” and instead announces his intention to move through that zone to get to the sea zone adjacent to Tokyo.

Several threads above, I wrote something like: The Attacking (moving) player’s intent needs to be declared upon entering a sea zone, sea zone by sea zone. The announcement is something like, “My fleet enters this sea zone and intends to keep moving to this next sea zone. Do you want to declare war before I leave?” The Attacking player’s fleet reaches the final sea zone they want and they announce, “We now declare war because we are going to try to perform an amphibious assault with these ships/units.” If there are enemy naval units, the Attacking player adds, “These units are my screening force.”

It seems GHG disagrees with that approach, but I think it is elegant, fair, and clear. The core principle with my approach is the the attacking player announces their intended actions in a sea zone when they enter a sea zone. Most of the time, it won’t matter, but when it does matter, it’s clear as can be. With GHG’s proposed system, you have fleets skip over sea zones; Attacking players moving so that the Defending player declares war, but then the Attacking player undoes their movements and attacks somewhere else; and a new rule where sometimes the Attacking player has to announce their intention when they enter a sea zone, but other times they do not. But little, by little, we polish the surface of the mirror to perfection, my friends! Clarification by clarification! 8 )

• @hbg-gw-enthusiast Good job! Excellent statement. I completely agree with everything you said.

I also highly encourage GHG to remake his latest video to better explain the way moving through sea zones work after reading page 37. He obviously didn’t check more than that “one sentence” he talks about so much before he made it. Sorry if I am being too harsh, but I was appalled by all the inaccuracies and over-simplifications.

• Do controlled (not aligned) minors have a home country for the purposes of lend lease and militia? Can they move militia in that home country?

• @insanehoshi

There is a reference to Minor Power Home Countries in rules 9.24 and 11.5.

In the Glossary, it specifies that “For a Minor Power the Home Country includes the primary nation but not its colonies, islands or conquered land zones.”

So yes, they do have a Home Country, so they can receive lend-lease (rule 11.4), but the rules also state that Mililia may only move within a Major Power’s Home Country (rule 12.2).

• @insanehoshi Noneshallpass already got most of it, but I want to mention the the “primary nation” is all land zones connected by land to the nation’s capital. (the brighter roundel)

• '20 '16

@trig said in The FAQ Thread:

@insanehoshi Noneshallpass already got most of it, but I want to mention the the “primary nation” is all land zones connected by land to the nation’s capital. (the brighter roundel)

That makes common sense, but where do you find that, in the rules?

• @captainnapalm said in The FAQ Thread:

@insanehoshi Noneshallpass already got most of it, but I want to mention the the “primary nation” is all land zones connected by land to the nation’s capital. (the brighter roundel)

That makes common sense, but where do you find that, in the rules?

Page 6, Home Country, 2nd sentence.

• @hbg-gw-enthusiast That does not say that the “‘primary nation’ is all land zones connected by land to a nation’s capital.”

• @captainnapalm Oh, sorry Napalm! I was deducting. “For a minor power the home country includes the primary nation but not its colonies, islands or conquered land zones.” So we know the primary nation is not colonies, islands, or conquered land zones. The perfect example is Greece. The Greek home countries are Macedonia, Thessaly, and Peloponnese. Crete is not home country.

• @hbg-gw-enthusiast said in The FAQ Thread:

@captainnapalm Oh, sorry Napalm! I was deducting. “For a minor power the home country includes the primary nation but not its colonies, islands or conquered land zones.” So we know the primary nation is not colonies, islands, or conquered land zones. The perfect example is Greece. The Greek home countries are Macedonia, Thessaly, and Peloponnese. Crete is not home country.

That is a fair deduction, and probably correct. I was just wondering if it was specifically stated in the rules. Some major nation’s home counties don’t follow those rules, so I hesitate to have full confidence in that meaning.

New Zealand is an island, yet is home country. Northern Ireland is not connected to a capital by land, but it is home country. East Prussia is neither an island, colony, nor conquered territory, yet it is not home country.

I agree with your deduction, but I’d like to see the rules state the rules, rather than relying on our individual deductions.

• @captainnapalm You are absolutely right!

• I don’t remember where I saw that. It may be something I made based on the map. Don’t take it as authoritative.

Now for another question:
    Can you scramble into a zone where you (the scrambling power) do not have a unit or Facility?
    For example, the US scrambling from the British Midlands to London, where there are no US units.
    In the errata’d rules it says: "[A nation can scramble] where it has at least one Defending unit or facility.”
    Does “it” mean the nation, or the alliance? Airbases are shared, so you can scramble from an allied airbase, but are the defending units shared? Can a fighter scramble to protect foreign units? Or, even non aligned units? (i.e. a US fighter protecting a USSR ship)
    Thoughts are welcome

• Also:
    Table 4-7 says:
    “A neutral Republican Spain will align with the USSR if attacked.”
    Does this include a DOW? Or just an attack?

• '20 '16

Now for another question:
    Can you scramble into a zone where you (the scrambling power) do not have a unit or Facility?
    For example, the US scrambling from the British Midlands to London, where there are no US units.
    In the errata’d rules it says: "[A nation can scramble] where it has at least one Defending unit or facility.”
    Does “it” mean the nation, or the alliance? Airbases are shared, so you can scramble from an allied airbase, but are the defending units shared? Can a fighter scramble to protect foreign units? Or, even non aligned units? (i.e. a US fighter protecting a USSR ship)
    Thoughts are welcome

These are some of my thoughts, from a previous thread:

“I would like the errata to change the wording to “if your ‘alliance’ has a defending unit or facility”, or “if your ‘nation’ has a defending unit or facility.” Because I don’t know which is correct. We play alliance, btw.”

I do not think you should be able to scramble to defend a non-alliance unit or facility, personally, but it isn’t unthinkable.

• Rule 8.6 says that the owner of the airbase can scramble fighters, but does not limit this to his own fighters.

I also play it that allied fighters can scramble.

we should really start new topics for new questions as this thread is getting hard to follow

• @noneshallpass Maybe, it is just nice to have it all in one place. There is just a lot of questions right now
    I wasn’t asking about the ability to scramble (as far as the airbase). That is assured. The question is do you need a unit from your nation, or just you alliance?

• @trig said in The FAQ Thread:

“A neutral Republican Spain will align with the USSR if attacked.”
    Does this include a DOW? Or just an attack?

Yes, this seems like potential errata to me. It should be DOW in my opinion.

• @noneshallpass said in The FAQ Thread:

we should really start new topics for new questions as this thread is getting hard to follow

I have cleaned up the original post up to this point and hopefully that will help, Noneshallpass! 8 )

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m