• Customizer

if you are playing 1942 setup, does the solomon islands count as an original territory?
    also, does manchuria?
    thx
    (this is for the purposes of the British National Objective that says if allies control an original jap territory they the brits get 5 extra ipcs)

The Answer, from the Official FAQ posted on the Wizards of the Coast website, and also posted on Larry Harris’ website:
    These are Original Japanese Territories (same for 1941 and 1942):
    Japan
    Iwo Jima
    Okinawa
    Caroline Islands
    Formosa
    French Indo-China Thailand

These are NOT original Japanese Territories (same for 1941 and 1942):
    Manchuria
    Kiangsu
    Kwangtung
    Burma
    Wake Island
    Philippines
    Solomon Islands
    New Guinea
    Borneo
    East Indies

from below:

@Krieghund:

From the FAQ:

Q. When the rules refer to the original controller of a territory, do they mean the controller at the start of the scenario or the controller printed on the map?
    A. The controller printed on the map. The original controller of a territory is the same whether you’re playing the 1941 or 1942 scenario. China is considered to be the original controller of Manchuria and Kiangsu, and Japan controls these territories as an enemy power at the beginning of both scenarios.

• yes and yes

• @Imperious:

yes and yes

i disagree
    i think originally controlled territory is an orange one
    the 2 chinese territories certainly don’t countn 1941 or 1942
    (explained in the rules i think)

• Official Q&A

“Original Japanese territories” are those territories with only a Japanese control marker printed on the map.  This excludes the two territories that have both a Japanese and a Chinese control marker printed on them, as they are original Chinese territories.  This is true in both scenarios.

• Customizer

see I thought things like Wake Island and the Solomon Islands in the 1942 were considered NOT to be “original japanese territories” for the purposes of the British NO., while things like Manchuria is considered an original territory, because the japanese symbol is printed on it, even if it is chinese at the same time.

….

?

• Official Q&A

From the FAQ:

Q. When the rules refer to the original controller of a territory, do they mean the controller at the start of the scenario or the controller printed on the map?
    A. The controller printed on the map. The original controller of a territory is the same whether you’re playing the 1941 or 1942 scenario. China is considered to be the original controller of Manchuria and Kiangsu, and Japan controls these territories as an enemy power at the beginning of both scenarios.

• A good question is why Manchuria and Kiangsu have a japanese marker. It would be easier having only a Chinese marker, I cannot convince my friends to put the jap control marker on them  :-P. That jap marker printed on map only serves to one purpose: confuse

• the territories that japan start out with in the 42 scenario are all there original territory. Uk gets the NO whether it takes kwantung east indies new guinea borneo burma wake island or the solomons. even though they have the uk symbol beneath the japan control marker. for the fact that the control markers for japan stay on the territory no matter who takes it or liberates it, making it its original territory. the uk symbol is for the 41 set up. now about manchuria and kiangsu is a good question but i still say that those two territories count towards UK’s NO’s cuz the objective cleary says the UK must have any territory originally under japans control. and japan start the game with those two territories making them japans original territory.

• i think that may be wrong, as far as the UK NO goes.  for the NO i think it has to be one of japans original teritories, like oki nawa, iwo jima, formosa, caroline, or japan itself.

• @Profile2012:

the territories that japan start out with in the 42 scenario are all there original territory. Uk gets the NO whether it takes kwantung east indies new guinea borneo burma wake island or the solomons. even though they have the uk symbol beneath the japan control marker. for the fact that the control markers for japan stay on the territory no matter who takes it or liberates it, making it its original territory. the uk symbol is for the 41 set up. now about manchuria and kiangsu is a good question but i still say that those two territories count towards UK’s NO’s cuz the objective cleary says the UK must have any territory originally under japans control. and japan start the game with those two territories making them japans original territory.

No

A. The controller printed on the map. The original controller of a territory is the same whether you’re playing the 1941 or 1942 scenario. China is considered to be the original controller of Manchuria and Kiangsu, and Japan controls these territories

Moreover UK get the bonus if any Allies control an original Japanese territory (in UK turn collect income phase) not only when UK conquer an original Japanese territory.

• in the 42 set up, east indies, borneo, soloman islands, wake island, kwangtung, and burma are all japans original territory. the control markers that japan places on those territories in the 42 setup indicate that those territories are japans. icp’s go to japan for those territories if germany or italy liberates them from the british, americans, or russians. thats right if you are playing the 42 set up, any ally can control those territories, which they get the ipcs (exp. america collects 4 ipcs if they take east indies). same thing applies with bellorussia, east poland, ukraine, east ukraine, and the baltic states. so pretty much you are playing on a different board and you can render the printed control markers obsolete in those territories. remember that this board game was made to reflect how the war was in 41. so to play 42 you have put the controls markers on those territories. so if british or any ally take any of those countries under japans control british DO get the NO for that. many ppl get confused with this cuz of the printed control marker already on the board. but i repeat that those are ONLY for the 41 set up. they are coming out with a 42 edition axis and allies in august that will reflect how the war was in 42, hence no control markers, less confusion.

• Official Q&A

From the FAQ:

• @Funcioneta:

A good question is why Manchuria and Kiangsu have a japanese marker. It would be easier having only a Chinese marker, I cannot convince my friends to put the jap control marker on them  :-P. That jap marker printed on map only serves to one purpose: confuse

You are correct,

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m