Global war 1936 V3: defender fighter/tactical movement after destroyed carrier

• Hello

We have a heavy discussion in my group and we can’t find anything about the topic in the rulebook.
    Situation is as followed: as defending player in a naval battle your carriers are destroyed, but you still have a fighter/tactical left. The attacking player retreat, what will happen to the fighter/tactical?

In AAA you can fly to a suitable landingspot with a range of one after the battle.
    What can you do in global war 1936 V3?

1. you can fly to a suitable landingspot with range of MAP.
    2. you can fly to a suitable landingspot with a range of 1 (fighter and tactical). When you have the tech “long range”, they can fly +1 (total range 2).
    3. they may not fly to a suitable landingspot and are removed from the board.
    4. some other rule is applied?

Thanks in advance
    Jan

• If I were the defender, I would declare that my fighter and tactical bomber were flying Maritime Air Patrol.

On Page 35, 8.7 Maritime Air Patrol, Carrier-Based Aircraft, “Aircraft on Carriers have the same MAP range as their land-based counterparts. Thus, they can reach 1 sea zone away from the sea zone they are currently in. Note that if the Carrier moves or is destroyed, the aircraft must have another suitable landing spot, otherwise it will be eliminated.”

I’d pick answer 4. Your planes remain in that sea zone, flying MAP as long as they have a suitable landing spot. Long-range Aircraft only increases the MAP range of medium bombers so you need a landing spot that is 1 away. If you don’t have a space to land that is 1 away, then they are destroyed (so 3 would be correct in such a case).

Here are two videos I made about MAP:
    10:55 - MAP Discussion, 14:13 Long-Range Aircraft’s affect on MAP – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFhtShzVL2A
    9:33 - Carrier-Based MAP – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-DaBgO_XUk

• Are you guys playing with optional rule 15.3, on page 62? I’m not sure how that would play out. Seems to read that the planes would be destroyed, but I’m not certain on that point.

• @hbg-gw-enthusiast , we are playing without the optional rule 15.3

Putting them on MAP gives a restricting in moving on that players turn. He first need to take the plane off MAP in non-combat. That isn’t really practical, but it makes some sence.

I gonna debate it with the guys.
    Thanks for your input.

• @jan-aerts
    According to the FAQ:

Q: I am the defending player in a naval battle, where my carriers were destroyed. I still have a few fighters/tacticals left. What happens to the aircraft?

A: If the Defender lost Carriers containing aircraft, these aircraft have a movement of 1 to find a suitable landing spot. If they are unable to do so, they are eliminated.

Also, on carrier MAP:

Q: aircraft on carriers can act as if on Maritime Air Patrol, but if you decide to do so, do you also have to un-MAP then (and thus wait a turn), in order to use them for other purposes?

A: No. That is why the rule says “may act as if…"

• @trig Thanks for pointing that out. I must have overseen this (stupid me). I was really convinced it was not mentioned in the rulebook.

• @jan-aerts I hadn’t seen it till just now. HBG has a habit of updating their FAQ whenever they see a new question come up, so it might be new.

• I confirm that the FAQ was updated, as the carrier question was not there a few days ago.

My understanding before the FAQ updated was that since we did not have the equivalent to the A&A rule, the carrier-based planes did not have a 1 movement to land and were lost.

Regarding the switch to MAP, I don’t think that you are allowed to do this during the opponent’s turn with defending planes. MAP is a form of combat movement (rules 8.2 and 8.7).

• I see 3 ways it should go.

1. Can land on a island only in same sea zone.
    2. Can land on any island or territory touching that SZ.
    3. Can land on a territory and/or island touching that SZ but only if it has an air strip or airbase,

• @gen-manstein The answer is #2

• @noneshallpass said in Global war 1936 V3: defender fighter/tactical movement after destroyed carrier:

Regarding the switch to MAP, I don’t think that you are allowed to do this during the opponent’s turn with defending planes. MAP is a form of combat movement (rules 8.2 and 8.7).

What about Page 35, Carrier-Based Aircraft: “For game purposes, aircraft on Carriers may always act as if on Maritime Air Patrol.”? The example given would seem to indicate you can have carrier-based aircraft be as if they are on MAP.

• @hbg-gw-enthusiast

Interesting comment. I admit that I missed that one on page 35.

However, I still have a problem with planes pulling double duty, such as fighting in the naval battle and then declaring MAP when the carrier is sunk.

Plus, if the carrier is sunk, they are not « aircraft on Carriers » anymore. MAP aircraft still needs to have a legal landing within range (see Elimination also on page 35).

• @noneshallpass said in Global war 1936 V3: defender fighter/tactical movement after destroyed carrier:

@hbg-gw-enthusiast

Interesting comment. I admit that I missed that one on page 35.

However, I still have a problem with planes pulling double duty, such as fighting in the naval battle and then declaring MAP when the carrier is sunk.

Plus, if the carrier is sunk, they are not « aircraft on Carriers » anymore. MAP aircraft still needs to have a legal landing within range (see Elimination also on page 35).

Yes! You and I are on the same page, my friend! If you look at my initial response (2nd post in this thread), you will see that’s what I was saying. “Your planes remain in that sea zone, flying MAP as long as they have a suitable landing spot. Long-range Aircraft only increases the MAP range of medium bombers so you need a landing spot that is 1 away. If you don’t have a space to land that is 1 away, then they are destroyed”. But this was before they updated the FAQ. Now, your planes don’t remain on MAP and must immediately fly 1 space to land if their carrier is destroyed. I think they made a good change to the rules with this FAQ update. The only improvement I would suggest to the FAQ is that it should state “… to find a suitable landing spot upon the conclusion of combat.”

• @hbg-gw-enthusiast So in the end, same as A&A?

• @sjelso Yes

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m