I need some ideas to invade norway with the allies…

• hey everyone,
    I was wondering if anybody as some good suggestions for an invasion on norway.
    restriction are :

• the 12 IPC are spend for african BEC 2 tanks= 10 IPC, the rest of the money is for russia
        to purchase 5 tanks on their turn with their income

You can use all Vyborg,Karelia,Archangel land and sea units and the moscow airforce if u want ,too and all the british forces.
    As their is :

-1 DD english channel
    -1 DD + 1Trans  Davis strait but the british convoy has to be freed first eventually if u plan w. your purchasing next round.

Feel free to use the americans as well.

The point why I’m asking is I see a big opportunity to shrink the income for Germany by gaining controll over africa and capture norway and finnland for building an airbase and break all options for Germany in the first few rounds.
    I hope for a good, positive and great response!

“thinking is not our job!…let the horses to the job, they got bigger heads!”

• UK buy 1 carrier place in Canada, save rest, hopefully your DD and tran survived round one (it really hinges on keeping that Canadian tranny alive rnd 1) us air power to clear western border seazones of Brit Isles

US buy 1 BB, 1 sub, 1 trans, leave DD and tran if survived with new buys.  (Use the US sub to reacapture US convoys taken by Germany).  Also send Russian fleet towards Brit Isles to draw fire or to recapture convoys. (US air of figheter, and bomber should land in Brit en route to Russia, another option is to engage rnd 1 with destroyer and US air to help clear subs from surrounding UK seazones if German presence is still strong, meaning you will have to ship the DD away from US fleet round 1 making the DD vulnerable.

turn 2 move en masse US fleet and brit carrier to the seazone bordering the northwest preferrrably ( if not safe you’ll need to place en masse in Celtic Sea and wait a turn to invade Norway).  Land Brit fighters on carrier and purchass 3 trannies to unload your starting 4 men, art, and 2 tanks round 3 into Norway. (Most people will not agree keeping the Brit fighters at the Isles, but a good Rusky player can hold out fine without.

Turn 3 engage Norway with loaded trannies and air, follow US turn with added support and the BB in the same zone to deter air strike on North Sea fleet.  After you take Norway you should have a US BB, US DD(If it survived rnd1), loaded UK carrier, and five trannies in total.  German air and remaining subs if any will be hard pressed to engage that fleet.

• often I will see either only the Canadian Fleet or US Fleet left after G1, with every other Allied ship in the atlantic (save the Russian fleet) at the bottom of the ocean.

Since it’s usually the Canadian fleet that left in my experience, if you are wanting to gather enough forces to quickly hit norway and are open to using the brit planes in the atlantic, I would suggest starting with the Canadian fleet and planes hitting the largest group of subs within range and trying to help clear the road from there.  Understanding that that DD will most likely be sunk on G2 unless it ends it turn in E-US, E-Can, or off the British coast where you build additional ships to help protect it.

• Yeah, lucky is right, i failed to mention, if the DD off canada is still afloat, most likely it will be, you need to use that DD plus air to clean the western Brit shores, the US DD and air can help clear as well after that.

• I just played a game where we tried something similar to this.  The Axis attack on the Celtic Sea 3 SS/1Fig vs Brit-DD/2Trn utterly failed.  All the subs were sunk and the plane withdrew without sinking a single Brit boat.  Everything else but the Canadian fleet was sunk, so the Brit player combined in the Celtic Sea and even built an additional couple subs.  ON G2, the Axis countered though with 6 SS/2Fig and the DD/BB which had taken Gibraltar on G1.  They wiped out the Brit Fleet completely, but it brought out the Med Fleet.  So a new DD built by the Brit allowed US SS and Planes to clean out the rest of the Germans.

Still, with additional uboats being built each round it was still round 4 before any landings in Europe or Norway could have occured, however Norway/Findland were taken by the Russians by then anyhow.  Game ended in by Axis surrender in G9 after 2nd attempt to take Moscow failed. Africa went back and forth.  2 extra tanks in Egypt helped UK early, but Germany kept bringing troops in to take back and Malta fighter went to USSR on B2 so they could never sink the German Transport.

• hey murraymoto it served its purpose !  lol

It’s a pretty good idea Roger brought in. I set it up and simulated average moves and casulties and it looked good ,just need somebody to test it for real!
    maybe next week. lol

Did you consider the Tank-advantage for an attack roll of 3 or less and let the Axis player come close?
    Why did you sent the Fighter to Russia it would helped you out a lot w. your BEF units?
    What was the income for the axis player each turn?

• @aequitas

yes, it worked out alright in the end.  I was the US player, and I think that the real downfall of the Axis in that game was when the Celtic Fleet didn’t die on G1, the Axis player bought 3 SS to help, thinking they would be more helpful than a couple more tanks and infantry on the Eastern Front.  He said that at the time he didn’t realize that he could also hit that reinforced fleet with the 2 fighters in France that he had landed there after G1.  So he bought the SS, (said he would have just bought 1) and then when it came to CM’s, he realized he had fighters too.  Still he wiped out the fleet and the SS helped hold things up.  Just oversight that cost him later.

The Brit player immediately took out the German force in Tunisia on B1 with landings and Tank Blitz because the German Med Fleet went to Gibraltar and couldn’t retaliate.  I think that with that big stroke it seemed that the Fighter wasn’t needed in Africa.  Germany transported troops via France to Morocco and walked over with the Bomber support, but the Brit Fighter had already been converted to Russian.  All 3 initial Brit fighters became Russian in the first couple rounds

Axis income (don’t have the exact figures) was steadily rising even up to 59 around G5 or 6.  The extra SS in the Atlantic did a good job of keeping Allies at bay, until they moved their fighters away from Germany into Russia and we could start SBR, then we turned it around.  I think they surrendered with around 18 IPC per turn and about 15 INF in Germany, could have held out for a few turns, but not enough to strike again.

• @RogertheShrubber:

UK buy 1 carrier place in Canada, save rest, hopefully your DD and tran survived round one (it really hinges on keeping that Canadian tranny alive rnd 1) us air power to clear western border seazones of Brit Isles

US buy 1 BB, 1 sub, 1 trans, leave DD and tran if survived with new buys.  (Use the US sub to reacapture US convoys taken by Germany).  Also send Russian fleet towards Brit Isles to draw fire or to recapture convoys. (US air of figheter, and bomber should land in Brit en route to Russia, another option is to engage rnd 1 with destroyer and US air to help clear subs from surrounding UK seazones if German presence is still strong, meaning you will have to ship the DD away from US fleet round 1 making the DD vulnerable.

Roger-
      Are you landing the US fighter on the Brit carrier off Canada in this? 
    -I’m assuming a solid opening G1 where all US ships and Brit ships save the Canadian ones are sunk in the Atlantic.
    Looking at it, a decent G2 could have 4 German subs choosing between Canada’s DD/TRN/CV 7-def punch(possible Fig-now 11 def punch) or E-US having BB/SS/TRN -8def punch.  If the DD was sunk off Britain, then US airpower cannot attack any of the german subs there.  The fighter could make the US fleet look more tempting for G2, while without it the Canadian fleet will be a better target.  One way or another, there would be more new german subs coming on G2 also from the baltic to attack whatever moves to Britain on B/U2.

If you aren’t going to land a fighter on the CV, you might be better off with a DD for less and same def until you can protect a CV.  Or to even put 2 DD off Canada, giving you 3DD/1Trn and 10-def punch, plus if any survive they can connect with aircraft on a B2 or 3.

• Very good point Lucky. I have simmed this 4 different times, and the German engagment off the US ended up in a wash 3 out of 4 times. Depending on the dice and German sub strengh, it would be a good idea to land the Fighter on the CV for added defensive strength.  There are 3 routes the German player can use in round 1 to determine the success of my strat. the german player can a) use his subs primarily on convoy capture (which would create a whole new scenario with additional ships left from none attack for the British, b)use a mixture of convoy capture and naval engagements( depending on what convoys were captured and what remains after the sea battles, the seazones where the battles took place should leave a minimal # of subs if any, then you would have to take into account if the convoy capturing subs would be in range for a turn 2 assault off of the Brit Isles aided with air support). C) the only other option would be fullscale naval engagements on all ship laiden seazones, this route would probably leave a fair amount of subs in the water due to overwhelming sea power in some zones.  If the German player chose option c, your idea with added DD instead of the CV maybe a good route to take in order to engage the added sub strength. In most of my games against the opponents i play with option b is common.  Having the US dd is a definite plus for my strat to work in terms of the scenario of the Canadian DD and tranny still afloat.  I like to have a CV in order to use my fighter’s defensive strength if I can to deter air assaults by germany on my fleets.  having a BB with left over DD’s and tranies can still be an effective deterrent against Germany.  So in your case the concept of the strat still holds its integrity with the idea of combining US and Brit naval power.

• In terms of the German player buying,  subs for G2, the strat works in helping the Russian player, forcing the German player to draw his attention to the atlantic and take some income away from land based units to throw at Russia

• @RogertheShrubber:

Very good point Lucky. I have simmed this 4 different times, and the German engagment off the US ended up in a wash 3 out of 4 times. Depending on the dice and German sub strengh, it would be a good idea to land the Fighter on the CV for added defensive strength.

gotcha.  I’ve used the bonus money to start to buy another sub in the atlantic at times, allowing me to bring 4 or even 5 subs (if I don’t want to take out the Canadian convoy zone to the  E US and take it with 3 subs.  Much less does give you pretty much a wash for G2.  depending on the outcome of the celtic sea battle too, there could be 1-2 more available for a G2 assault on E-US or Canadian seazones, so the more defensive firepower the better. 
    it would take 5-6 subs to comfortably take a BB/SS/TRN on G2, but 4-5 to take on a CV/TRN/DD.  The FIG will up that though.

• The AC build in Canada pays off…It’s either drawing a lot of attention or ends up in a very effective Sub Hunting Group-SHG…In a game I cleared almost all Convoy Zones and eliminated the Sub-thread once and for all on UK 2…the firepower was superior - 
    1 AC, 1 Trn, 1 DD and landed Ftr on the AC. Later combined w. BB and additional DD’s is unstopable…The Axis player has to choose more carefully what to go for…I ended up winning on UK 6 w. direct Invasion on Germany…(I attacked the Axis player TP w. 14 T-34’s and around twenty Inf. on R4… lured him in lol)…Thanks again Roger for the AC tip it really brings more flavor to my AAE strategy…Trying now how I get an AC for Germany involved  into the game, right now I still end up on purchase round G4…I wish they would make a bigger map w. mobilized Inf. Units and Victory City’s like Kiev, Brijansk, Orel , Paris ,Rome and so on…would be very interessting or even an Africa map '42…

• Herr Kaleu das ventil leckt!
    • machen sie anstaendig meldung, mensch…wenn sie pinkeln reden sie doch auch nicht 
        gleich von einem wasserfall!!!
    • Dieselluftkopfventil macht Wasser ,Herr Kaleu
    • na also geht doch!!

-Haie und kleine fische    Wolfgang Ott

• Thats awesome!  Glad I could help.  I definitely agree, having an AC in the Atlantic really brings a new dimension to the game, instead of having 20 DD scattered throughout the board.  That Canadian IC is really useful in the early stages of an AAE game.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m