• 8.7 Maritime Air Patrol, Page 35, discusses MAP. I think they should add, under the “Starting a Patrol” section, an explicit discussion of MAP range. I would add a second sentence, “The Maritime Air Patrol range is 1, except for Seaplanes or Medium Bombers with the Long-Range Aircraft technology.”

Let me know if the default MAP range is discussed elsewhere in the rules. I only inferred it from the later section on page 35, “Carrier-Based Aircraft: Aircraft on Carriers have the same Maritime Air Patrol range as their land-based counterparts. Thus, they can reach 1 sea zone away from the sea zone they are currently in.”

Also, on page 35, under “Elimination,” there is mention of planes on MAP being “blocked” from reaching an available landing spot if they have a MAP range of 2. Let’s say a British seaplane is on MAP in sea zone 33 off the coast of Spain. Let’s say Spain, Portugal, and Ireland are neutral and Germany holds Normandy, so they only landing site within a range of 2 is the British Midlands. If the Germans fly a seaplane on MAP into sea zone 24, the British seaplane would instantly be destroyed. Do I understand this correctly?

• There’s a nice chart I believe on the FAQ now.

• @manincellv Beautiful! Thanks, manicellv!

• I think before the FAQ, the basic 1 range was only covered in rule 8.7 (Carrier-Based Aircraft) Appendix A, section 27 (Maritime Air Patrol).

No wonder the MAP rules were (and still are) misunderstood.

Regarding the Elimination question, it’s a good one and I am not 100% sure that Germany placing its own aircraft on MAP would eliminate the British seaplane.

Even if you have the option to leave aircraft on MAP more than one turn “until it chooses to end its patrol” (rule 8.7), Appendix A, section 27 says that aircraft on MAP is essentially patroling in circles, which explains the limited range.

Therefore, aircraft left on MAP virtually returns to base at some point, as it cannot fly for 6 month staight (a turn in Global War), even if this is not played on the actual game board.

Rule 8.7 also says that “On Enemy turn, an aircraft on Maritime Air Patrol defends against enemy units entering its sea zone”.

Should we consider that the British MAP would 100% be intercepted by the German MAP an eliminate it, because it would have at some point to enter the German-patrolled sea zone? I don’t know.

I think that a clearer case of Elimination would be if Germany puts a carrier with at least one aircraft between its only available landing spot, then the MAP seaplane would be eliminated (shot down when attempting to reach base to refuel, so to speak).

• @manincellv More charts in general would help with many rule searches, questions, etc.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m