• According to the rules on page 8 (1.7) - “If the roundel in a land zone is located in a terrain type, the entire land zone is subject to the rules for that terrain type.”
    The roundel in Western Australia is in the Impassable desert of the Outback. Does this mean that the entire territory is impassable? That could change a lot.

• Great observation, Trig! I didn’t notice that! Quirky.

I bet it wasn’t intended, but you are correct that the rules seem very clear it should be treated as impassable desert.

• Honestly, I can’t see how it would mean that the whole territory is impassable, as it contains a railroad, a coastline with a port and the Outback desert is clearly delimited on the map.

Rule 1.7 that was quoted is followed by all the different terrain types: Mountains, Deserts, Jungles, Marshes, Rivers and Tundra.

In my view, terrain marked with the word “Impassable” should not be considered to be a terrain type within the meaning of rule 1.7.

The only explanations regarding impassable areas are found in the box on page 8 and say:

“Terrain marked with the words “impassable” cannot be moved into by land units. Air units can fly over this terrain but cannot end their movement there”.

I think we must distinguish the territory (Western Australia) from its terrain(s), as the territory also contains mountains and a desert (in this case an impassable one).

Granted, the litteral application of rule 1.7 could still mean that Western Australia is at least subject to optional desert rules since the roundel is in the desert, but I would opt not to apply them to Western Australia in my games.

Perhaps another question for the FAQ?

• '18 '17 '16

That was probably just a mistake is placement of the roundel. We had to change some of them on the 1914 map in Northern Russia because the roundel was in tundra and would have made landing there impossible. I’ll let them know and get back to you after we figure it out.

• '18 '17 '16

The FAQ has been updated.

• @generalhandgrenade Wow! Thanks for the fast update, GHG!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m