• In the rulebook it states that, despite of who controls Gibraltar, any submarine from any power can cross.

However it doesn’t say the same thing about the Danish strait. I believe it should be the same, it makes sense to me that submarines can move undetected in both cases.

How do you guys normally solve this?

• '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

@tchenao That rule does not apply to the Danish strait. Unless the Allies can hold Denmark for a complete turn, Russia can never have its Baltic sub break into the Atlantic.

The full clarification of the rule is on page 9 of the Europe 2nd edition rules:

"In order to control a canal or narrow strait, you must control its controlling land territory or territories. They are as follows:

Canal/Narrow Straits - Controlling Territories
    Suez Canal - Egypt and Trans-Jordan
    Panama Canal - Central America
    Turkish Straits - Turkey
    Strait of Gibraltar - Gibraltar
    Danish Straits - Denmark

If there is only one controlling territory, the power that controls it controls the canal or strait. If there are two controlling territories, the side that controls both of them controls the canal or strait. If one side controls one territory and the other controls the other, the canal or strait is closed to all sea units. Turkey begins the game as a neutral territory, so neither side may move through the Turkish Straits until Turkey is captured.

Exception: Submarines of any power may pass through the Strait of Gibraltar regardless of which power controls it."

You are quoting the stated exception listed on the same page.

Marsh

• @marshmallow-of-war Thanks.
    I understand the rules and I follow them.

But I don’t see the logic of it. Why can any sub cross through Gibraltar but the same rule does not apply in Denmark?

In my opinion both straits should operate in the same way.

• '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

@tchenao The Strait of Gibraltar is both deeper and wider than the strait of Denmark.

However, don’t let that fool you into thinking that the game designers actually took accuracy (either historically or geographically) into serious account. Had they done so…

• Scotland would have a naval base present on the board.

• Iceland would be a pro-Allied neutral waiting to be activated by an Allied power.

• Any ability of mechanized units to blitz through eastern Russia or Southeast Asia would be removed.

• and numerous other changes!

Marsh

• @marshmallow-of-war thanks again. For a second there I had my hopes up!..

I can come to terms with the fact that Gibraltar is deeper and wider and keep respecting the rules.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m