• @nosho Well as I have said over and over, I do not deny that things like this are bound to happen sometimes, I have played the board game and that is the randomness of real dice, the problem with this representation is that it happens way to many times. Hell man dont you see the developers now admitting after denying till they were blue in the face that there is a problem with the dice??

• @brian-cannon said in First time Playing in over 2 months:

Hell man dont you see the developers now admitting after denying till they were blue in the face that there is a problem with the dice??

No I have not seen that. I have seen them introduce a PNRG that takes away a little bit of the extreme results out of the output, but that by no means means there was an issue with the dice. Randomness does not look random to human brains, that is just a proven fact. PNRG is a valid approximation of randomness, that has also been proven repeatedly. There are a lot of problems with A&A 1942 Online, but I don’t think the dice’s randomness is one of them.

• @nosho said in First time Playing in over 2 months:

. PNRG is a valid approximation of randomness, that has also been proven repeatedly.

hasn’t.

• @nosho Taken from Developers Notes:

DICE & AXIS & ALLIES
    There’s been a ton of discussion in our community around dice rolls. We’ve heard you, and we understand that the randomness of the dice just doesn’t feel right.

Our goal is for the combat to feel satisfying and strategic while staying true to the element of chance at the heart of the board game. So, based on community feedback, our development team is working on a “Stabilized Dice” option for the game.

What does Stabilized Dice Mean?

Stabilized Dice will still be random, but will control for extreme outcomes, and should feel more natural as a result. Our objective is to allow player strategy to play a larger part in the overall game by reducing the chances that dice can swing a whole game in a single roll.

Under Construction

We’re currently in the testing phase for this new dice option, but we’re looking forward to releasing the new dice mode in a future update!

• @aardvarkpepper said in First time Playing in over 2 months:

@nosho said in First time Playing in over 2 months:

. PNRG is a valid approximation of randomness, that has also been proven repeatedly.

hasn’t.

Is your GPS working? Then PNRG is working.

• @brian-cannon said in First time Playing in over 2 months:

@nosho Taken from Developers Notes:

DICE & AXIS & ALLIES
    There’s been a ton of discussion in our community around dice rolls. We’ve heard you, and we understand that the randomness of the dice just doesn’t feel right.

Our goal is for the combat to feel satisfying and strategic while staying true to the element of chance at the heart of the board game. So, based on community feedback, our development team is working on a “Stabilized Dice” option for the game.

What does Stabilized Dice Mean?

Stabilized Dice will still be random, but will control for extreme outcomes, and should feel more natural as a result. Our objective is to allow player strategy to play a larger part in the overall game by reducing the chances that dice can swing a whole game in a single roll.

Under Construction

We’re currently in the testing phase for this new dice option, but we’re looking forward to releasing the new dice mode in a future update!

“Doesn’t feel right” doesn’t mean “not random”. True randomness doesn’t feel random to humans, that’s just the way it is. The stabilized dice is just a way to take out a few of the extreme results so that people assuming the dice aren’t random aren’t complaining nearly as much about them.

• @nosho said in First time Playing in over 2 months:

@aardvarkpepper said in First time Playing in over 2 months:

@nosho said in First time Playing in over 2 months:

hasn’t.

Is your GPS working? Then PNRG is working.

if you want to use that as part of your argument, explain how implementations should be and are the same

• RNG doesnt seem too egrigeous as far as a dice complaint thread goes. 12 w-russia 9-ukr R1 is the standard opener. the avarage for UKR is 2 tanks and axis survives Russia having 2 extra inf in w-russia. Only really sucky part is SZ7. Did you send all 3 subs? If not you have about 10% chance of straight up losing it, and about 20% of losing at least 1 fighter. If you sent everything you still lose a fighter about 10% of the time, but you’ll win it 98%. If you still lose it then oh well, at least the destroyer didnt kill the battleship right?

Only thing I’d even register is the SZ7 loss, rest is just bog standard compared to stuff like losing ukr three times in a row. If you get frustrated by such playable disadvantages I’d recommend playing the game with low luck on tripleA, gets a lot more predictable.

• @quintin Sent all 3 subs

• @brian-cannon

First game this season as Allies

https://imgur.com/a/iJ0RX5s

• @juliusborisovbeamdog I read it and applaud your transparency, that isn’t sarcasm. My question though is why haven’t you been transparent in the past, and why for so long did your development team deny there was a problem.

• @brian-cannon Where have they said there was a problem with the actual dice generator? All I’ve seen is them acknowledging that players are complaining about dice.

• When two AA guns record more hits than 16 infantry its time to go, actually the AA guns scored one less hit than 10 tanks.

• Me and some others actually collected some data on the dice in ukr and w-russia R1. Data matches up with expected values from dice calculators.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZaxlHT88cYRAFYu2F8umLatRIRmKaA6wGw8YpCikYkE/edit?usp=sharing

Not that this makes losing a 99% battle less painful.

• @quintin I expect to lose the opening battle when Russia attacks with 12 units in West Russia and 9 in Ukraine. However it is the extent of the loss. When you see time after time zero units lost or one unit lost in West Russia and then Ukraine where there is a fighter parked as well as a tank you see one unit or two units lost by Russians it makes you wonder. I cannot attack Trans jordan where there is one guy without taking a casualty by that infantry if I take it at all. Japan’s opening attack on Anwhei when do you ever take it without a casualty as Axis? The hit rate of defending infantry is amazing, that is except for Russia turn 1 when the Wermacht must be sitting around smoking and joking as Mother Russia steams in.

As I have said time and time again when the hit rate for defending infantry exceeds or approaches the hit rate for tanks, and fighters there is a problem. In a multiple round battle, trading territory thing, I cannot tell you how many opening round rolls that every fighter will miss. The next round one or two hit, and then when the battle is all said or done, and you are not taking the territory because you just lost your last infantry, every fighter will hit. It happens time and time again. Tanks and fighters do not hit their weight, and forget about battleships who cant seem to hit a damn thing.

• @quintin We talked in another thread were I had asked for advice on Russia stacking Ukraine. One of the things you had mentioned was attacking Egypt with the bomber, which in past seasons if the situation had presented I would always attempt. It is a battle that the probability favors the Germans according to the calculator. Usually it was a battle that I won, and early in the game thats a significant battle because it rids Africa of some significant United Kingdom land power as well as the fighter which hampers a counterattack on the German battleship or an attack on the Japanese fleet on UK turn 1. This season (season 4) that situation has arisen 4 times, because lets be honest the German bomber rarely survives turn 1 (and I have it gone first in that opening russia attack). 4 times I have made that assault with 2 german infantry, one arty, one tank and one bomber. Every attempt this season with that attack has failed miserably and in each one on round 1 everything missed with the German but one, and in succeeding defensive rolls my force is wiped out in one round of rolls.

Another observation this season was the amphibious assault on Transjordan that is the usual German turn 1 attack. This season that attack has failed for me at more than 50 percent where in proceeding seasons its won a majority of the time.

• ec4fd219-a66c-4899-9337-a64ccc6477ad-image.png

Yup nothing wrong at all LOL North Sea attack where my fighters and cruisers did not record a hit in three rounds of rolling

• d6f7fda8-7241-436a-b553-dd83cec67b27-image.png

• This game and the dice never fail to amaze me. Please let my fighters hit with near the success rate of defending infantry

8f371a02-db02-404d-b01a-db0333e46ff2-image.png

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m