• '20

This post is deleted!
  • '19

This post is deleted!
  • '20

my bad, and i deleted my post before i noticed your reply. But doesn’t page 20 still cover your actual question? Land and sea units retreat together and air units retreat separately and complete their movement retreat during NCM so they don’t need to follow where the fleet went, unlike surface warships.
    So sub retreats by submerging and figs can go where they want on NCM, right?
    Sorry if my input is unwelcome, just trying to see if we forum members can help krieg answer these

• '19

@colt45554 submerging is not retreating.

I am trying to confirm that in this case the subs have no legal retreat. And so when the attacker decides to retreat at end of round 1, only the air retreats and subs have to stick around. In this case the subs would then submerge at beginning of round 2.

• '19

@ksmckay

there are variants to this case as well where the subs wouldnt be able to submerge (say the dd doesnt get killed) and trying to make sure that the attacker can still retreat the units that are legally able to retreat.

95% certain I am interpreting things correctly. But its a bit of a unique situation. Not too many cases where non amphibious units dont have a retreat path.

• @ksmckay

There is no partial retreat. In case you want to retreat you have to retreat all units, because retreating ends a battle. So you can never retreat some units and continue the battle with the remaining unit(s).

So in case the attacking submarines failed to establish a retreat route before (maybe they could simply have left and entered back the seazone during combat move phase), they are not allowed to retreat.

This prevents the attacker from retreating (any unit). The attacker simply has to continue the battle.

• '19

@panther

Its not a partial retreat. Its retreating all units legally able to retreat. Same as an amphibious assault.

• '19

@Panther Not saying you are wrong, but I dont think the rules are explicit in this case which is why I am asking.

In amphibious assault it doesnt say there are special rules for retreating different from normal combat. It says seaborne units cant retreat.

In the hypothetical situation I proposed, there is no path for the subs to retreat so you could and I do say that the subs cant retreat.

So in amphibious battle, units legally able to retreat do so, and I am asking for a sea battle, if units that have a legal retreat path can do so.

I think its a fair question without an obvious answer and two reasonable interpretations of the rules.

• Partial retreats are allowed only in amphibious assaults. In all other cases, either everything retreats or nothing does.

In this example, where there are only subs and a fighter attacking and the subs have no retreat route, there are only two ways for the fighter to retreat alone. The first is if the subs are all lost. The second is for the subs to submerge in step 2 of the next round, leaving the fighter to continue the battle alone. If the fighter survives that round, it may then retreat, being the only remaining attacking unit.

• '19

@krieghund thanks!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m