Axis and Allies Enhanced: Anniversary Edition

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@Imperious:

I cant really do that. Sorry

Everybody has a right to opinions and hes behaving pretty well.

I will leave this thread because we both may have hyjacked it a bit. I think this is good work so keep it up. All ideas are welcome.

Yes, well he was invited to give us constructive criticism.  He, and others, may feel free to download the rules, read them, and offer suggestions at any time.  I can’t imagine there would be many since the AA50:Enhanced rules are almost word for word the same as the AARe rules with the ultra minor changes forced to be made given the new map and the new rules in Anniversary itself.

Likewise, I have to agree with your earlier statement.  Axis and Allies is a trademarked name (or maybe just copywrited) therefore anyone who comes up with a ruleset for Axis and Allies outside of the one provided by the manufacturer and game designer and anyone else with rights to the game is technically stealing the ideas of others.

However, it’s been common practice for quite some time now that house rules and the publishing of house rules is permitted provided people don’t actually steal the game itself.

As I said, this iteration of AA50e is a derivative of AARe.  It’s virtually identical in every way, there are no unexpected major changes because we, the development TEAM, were worried about the following:

1)  We wanted to maintain the integrity of AA50 as much as possible. 
    2)  We wanted to maintain the integrity of AARe as much as possible only making changes when AARe directly contradicted AA50 (as in the case where Western Europe is listed as the D-Day target in AARe but the name was changed in AA50 to be France.)
    3)  In an effort to remain true to the spirit of AARe we made the technology change from unguided to guided because so much of the rules of AARe were centered around the aspect of choosing your technology and being guaranteed to get it after a certain amount of cash was spent towards it.  Believe me, this change was not under taken lightly, but when we realized that taking it out screwed up the spirit of AARe, it screwed up the balance of AARe, and it screwed up THREE PAGES of AARe, we realized we had no choice but to switch the AA50 system to the AARe system for AA50e.

• Jennifer, stop using Enhanced as if it were yours!  It is in poor taste to hijack Enhanced (AARe) from Cousin Joe.

Since you have a problem understanding, let me spell it out for you. Jennifer is NOT The Official AA50e.

Enhanced is not a democratic process. Cousin Joe may ask for input, then he makes a decision on a rule. If there is a problem, it will be handled after playtesting.

It is great that you are making a working version of house rules. Call them something else, for there are many words to choose from. I’m sure you will pick something good.

I have been following the workings of AARe since there were only 4 NA’s for each of the Allies, when  Long Range Aircraft was a minor Tech, when Radar was boosted to make it worth picking, to name a few.
    You were there for none of that.
    Your introduction to Enhanced was 361 days ago.
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=11203.0

So, how could you possibly know that some of the core things in Enhanced were to:
    –work with the rules of Revised as much as possible. (AA50e should look into AA50 rules as much as possible=AA50 does not have National Advantages)
    –not invent new units, so new players do not shy away.
    –shorten the game length/time to make it more tournament friendly.

@Cmdr:

2)  Cousin Joe has been informed, he was emailed with copies of every set of rules for his approval.  We only received one response from him early on in the development phase where he expressed interest that the rules were being adapted to run in Anniversary Edition.  He seems to have gone to great length to keep himself out of the development process, one might suspect because he didn’t like dealing with people who acted exactly as Axis_Roll has been where everything turns into a slanderous attack and flames in an effort to kill something good.

Cousin Joe is working on AA50e.
    Just because you post 17.643 times per day does not give you the right the hijack his work and claim he does nothing.

Just because the rest of the AARe players are not posting once a day, does not mean they agree with you. I have been following AARe for years and this is the first time I felt the need to post to stop your hijacking.

Your impatient posting instead of waiting one year to get to know and enjoy AA50 BEFORE starting the AA50e process is noted.

• @Cmdr:

@mpc220:

@axis_roll:

I just think it’s lame to copy his rules from a different game and add them to the new game and label them under someone elses previously established name.

I agree completely.  The three guys you mentioned cared for and nurtured the AARe ruleset for YEARS, and now it’s basically been hijacked out from under them.

They were not hijacked.  Cousin_Joe and everyone else was made fully aware of what was being done when the official word came that they had no interest in creating the Anniversary Enhanced Rules themselves.  They were asked, begged and pleaded with to assist and they chose not too.  They relinquished control provided we did not make any drastic changes.

Did it ever occur to you that their non-response meant that they did not agree with your intentions?

Perhaps C_Js email has changed or he did not have time is his real life to engage in an email battle exchange with you.  A lack of response is no endorsement of your rules set.  I have sent out a request to Cousin_Joe to endorse your rules set, but he has not yet responded.

Do you know why?  Most likely it is due to the fact that Chris has life outside this message board.  He is a family man now, and A&A takes a back seat to being a father. Instead of posting 28,000+ messages, he lives in the real world.

I really could care less what sort of ramblings you post about me.  Your Enhanced skills we so pathetic in the three games we played, I might as well have been playing a total newbie instead of you.  Explain it in any fashion that you will in follow up replies, but your game was very poor in my book.

Again I await your evidence that Cousin_Joe endorses your AA50HP version of the rules.  Did you ever read (and comprehend) the logic behind WHY AARe was originally created in the first place?  Perhaps Cousin Joe’s own words on THIS message board might enlighten you:

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=13277.msg374877#msg374877

Post what ever insults and personal attacks you want about me.  Your AARe game is weak.  Just because you have run into the wall a thousand times does not mean on the 1001th time you will break through the wall and achieve your objective.  In case my analogy is not clear, I will rephrase: Putting on clothes 1000 times does not make one an expert at fashion just as playing 1000 games or posting 1527+  posts makes you an expert at A&A.  In other words, cutting 1000 lawns does not make you an expert groundskeeper.

Again. please posts evidence that ANY ONE of the original AARe from the Avalon hill boards agree with you on your AA50"e" version of the rules.

• Doing a line by line comparison would show you that almost everything from AARe is the same in AA50e.

But AA50 is a different game from AAR. You can’t just recycle all the old rules and repackage them yourself and expect to have the same quality of rule set that is AARe. It’s way too premature for a project like this, we don’t know enough about game balance with the OOB rules yet to start making fundamental changes to the rules and expecting quality game play. A direct quote from cousin_joe:

this is a whole new game and we can’t simply port over everything from AARe to AA50e

The “Enhanced” moniker is sort of like a brand name, in that it is associated with a certain level of quality. The original developers obviously put a lot of effort into the rule set, and it was thoroughly tested. Its not just a bunch of “cool” ideas someone slapped together and presented as a ruleset. For the vast, vast majority of house rules, this is not the case.

So while you may argue that most of the rules are the same anyway, and you have the right to call it whatever you want, etc, etc. well, yeah, this is true, the rules are mostly the same and the “Enhanced” name is not copyrighted. But your ruleset is not the same quality product that AARe was, sorry. And you clearly do not have the blessing of the original development team. This is not a slam at you, its just the facts: AA50 has only been out a few months for crying out loud! By using the “Enhanced” name you are misleading people. I suspect this is why axis_roll is up in arms about this, and rightly so. I would feel the same way if I was one of the lead developers of AARe.

Like I said, you can call the rules whatever you want, but why not just call it something different for now? If not to satisfy axis_roll and the original AARe developers, then at least do it as a service to the community so that the “Enhanced” brand is not tarnished.

Goody, Axis_Roll, you’ve had your say.

Now either shut up and go away or contribute something useful

BTW, anyone making a “new” version of AA50e is just going to have to copy/paste almost word for word from the rules posted here.  It’s inevitable.  Thus, they are not making a new version.

Perhaps CJ is taking his time reviewing my rules before sending me revisions he likes.  Dunno.

I do have responses from him and NONE OF THE RESPONSES say not to use the “enhanced” tag.  They are all congratulatory and thankful for the hard work put in.  Not a single response contains a critique.

In fact, the only person who seems to have a problem is you, axis_roll.  You ever think you just have a fanatic hatred of me instead of having a real argument to stand on?  Besides, who died and made you boss?  Cousin_Joe has an account here and I do believe he is capable of using the internet himself.

So why don’t you go bugger off and annoy someone else instead of making an arse of yourself here over something you have no control over?

These rules have been accepted just about everywhere at this point.  Players may chose to alter them on their own if they like, house rules are house rules, but so far, these are the only OFFICIAL Axis and Allies Anniversary Edition Enhanced Rules.  No other AA50e rules exist.

• @Cmdr:

I do have responses from him and NONE OF THE RESPONSES say not to use the “enhanced” tag.  They are all congratulatory and thankful for the hard work put in.  Not a single response contains a critique.

If you would please forward these emails to me at WILLIAMJPRICE@yahoo.com and I will be satisfied.

From the looks of one of C_J’s last posts: http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=13277.msg374877#msg374877
    it appears that he was still considering the best way to create an Enhanced rules set for AA50.

Your forwarded emails with his approval will be enough for me to say that these are a Cousin_Joe endorsed version of AA50e.
    It’s a simple request.

Looking forwards to those emails.

• @Cmdr:

These rules have been accepted just about everywhere at this point.  Players may chose to alter them on their own if they like, house rules are house rules, but so far, these are the only OFFICIAL Axis and Allies Anniversary Edition Enhanced Rules.  No other AA50e rules exist.

There are plenty of posts here the shows this is not ‘accepted just about everywhere’.

Original developer (Cousin Joe) of AARe is working on AA50e.
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=13277.msg374877#msg374877

This is not attacking you, Jennifer, but the name you are stealing.

Please continue your work; just call it AA50jen.

Cousin has not yet informed me he has gone his own route, I suspect his route is exactly what I have here.

Anyway, just an FYI, my copywrite has been approved so I legally own the name.

• Ok everybody is now limited to ONE whining post. All who have posted so far have filled their quota.

Talk about the ideas and not the other stuff.

• If you’re going to delete my posts, you should delete hers as well–there is absolutely no way that she owns a copyright on that title.  I would think that this site and this hobby deserves better than to let obvious lies stand while deleting the posts of people who point them out.

I will delete every post that is a whining post. Jennifer is not complaining but basically answering the whiners and its sidetracking the thread.

You and the other have had way too many posts where you just complain. Look at your total posts and compare them to posts that are not about the whining sound. I could give you more latitude if you have 1,000 posts and you got 5 complaining posts, but your ratio is like 98% complaining posts. enough.

The owner for Enhanced is here:

INTRODUCTION & OVERVIEW
    AXIS & ALLIES ENHANCED REALISM RULES …. AXIS & ALLIES ENHANCED REALISM RULES … Internationa Axis and Allies Players Association Link.
    www.angelfire.com/biz2/axisalliesrules/ - 18k - Cached - Similar pages

AXIS & ALLIES ENHANCED REALISM RULES
    Our Axis & Allies Gamers Group welcomes players for face-to-face games in the Washington, D.C. area. Email: rdbaker43@yahoo.com
    www.angelfire.com/biz2/axisalliesrules/advancedairpower.html - 16k - Cached - Similar pages
    More results from www.angelfire.com »

Amazon.com: Axis & Allies Enhanced Realism Rules Part One: R. D. …
    Amazon.com: Axis & Allies Enhanced Realism Rules Part One: RD Baker: Books.
    www.amazon.com/Axis-Allies-Enhanced-Realism-Rules/dp/1887641270 - 262k -

The owner of the other name ( Axis and Allies) you all STEAL is here:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/aa/welcome.

So if you want to copyright ENHANCED you need to talk to Mr. Baker and if you want to copyright Axis and Allies call AH and pay them off.

Other than that your basically just making house rules for a game that has been published and NOBODY can claim anything because 100% of all the house rules came from other people who took the rules and called it their own.

• Anyway, just an FYI, my copywrite has been approved so I legally own the name.

Hahahaha. Any credibility you might have had just went out the window.

mpc:

Bring it up with the US Copyright office.  They had no qualms since the copyright states:

“Axis and Allies: Enhanced”

• Trademark for “Axis and Allies” belongs to Wizards of the Coast

It was filed online and granted.  I’m still waiting for the USPS to deliver the official certificate (you get one from the copyright office, I’ve had a few things copyrighted, it’s really easy and pretty cheap to be honest.)

It’s all how you word it.  As long as it is significantly different or you give credit to the original owner for the substantial parts, you are fine.  This is exactly how Gamer’s Paradise was able to copyright their addon packs for Axis and Allies back in the day, as well as others.  The basis was still Axis and Allies, a copyrighted production, but the changes were significant enough and only the changes were copyrighted.

I could do the same for Forgotten Realms.  If I write a Forgotten Realm’s Book, I can still copyright the book, but I have to list that Forgotten Realms is a trademark owned by whoever owns it.

• Customizer

Whew… some bad blood rolling around here. But an FYI, you cannot have sole rights to that exact name… because you do not own the material/trademark it is based on in the first place. Save yourself the $15 and don’t bother copyrighting  what is classified as a “derivative work,” unless there is profit involved (which also entails a contractual agreement with the owner/original creator).  Good stuff though.

• You like to reopen old wounds that healed over a year ago?

• Customizer

No, I’m saving people some cash, time, and a useless gesture (getting a copyright on derivative work).  And I’ve also stated (“Good stuff though”) that the rules are good, I like 'em, I plan on seeing if one of my groups would like to try incorporating a few. If you’re so worried about ‘reopening wounds,’ then why would this thread still be here as it is? Lock it, or delete it (but take the enhancement rules and make them readily available elsewhere first of course).

• Usually people don’t bring up threads that are about 8+ pages back. I figured the people who were in this thread had decided that they had to agree to disagree and leave it at that.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m