• Realistic Vichy France Rules

Introduction: When playing Vichy rules, I was excited with the general concept but found that the game play could be improved by connecting playability with historical realism. I reviewed online variants to develop a ruleset that works in out-of-box and mod games. I added historical facts as footnotes to clarify some key rules. For feedback, please email: phd_angel@yahoo.com

Activation: upon occupying Paris and Normandy-Bordeaux, Germany has the option of continuing to fight against France or declaring the Franco-German Armistice with Southern France. It becomes the French State during Germany’s income collection. Vichy is friendly to the Axis under special conditions and exceptions. (1)

Setup: Replace France units and markers with Vichy ones in Southern France, Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Syria, Madagascar, French Indochina, and SZ93. Remaining territories and units in Africa and UK remain Free France. (2)

Movement: Vichy units cannot move. Axis units can move in Vichy territories as friendly allies, except for French Indochina (which can be occupied by Japan for its IPCs).

Combat: Vichy units can only defend, never attack. They roll at regular defense rates, except for infantries in the colonies, rolling as militias (roll for 1 instead of 2). Axis units in Vichy territories defend and attack at regular rates. (3)

Income: Vichy collects no IPCs. Germany loots 17 IPCs when first occupying Paris and gets 3 IPCs per round as Vichy forced reparations. Adjust the IPC table (4).

National Objectives:

• Italy: Vichy Southern France counts for “Greater Roman Empire”
    • Italy: Vichy colonies do not count for “North Africa” (5)
    • Japan: its occupation of French Indochina negates “Trade with America”

End of Vichy: the French State can collapse in two ways, requiring markers, units and IPCs to be changed:

1. Occupation: Germany invades Southern France and declares its occupation in combat phase. No combat happens. Vichy units in Southern France and SZ93 are removed. Other Vichy territories and units become Free French, or become Axis if Axis units are present.

2. Liberation: Allies enter Southern France. Vichy territories and units become Free French, but Vichy territories hosting Axis units become Axis. France starts collecting IPCs.

Conclusion: Vichy rules dramatically affect the game in the Mediterranean. Germany benefits the most: it earns 3 IPCs per round (4), it gains a defense buffer against the Allies, and can move across any Vichy territory (e.g., Syria). In contrast, Italy cannot occupy Vichy territories and cannot enjoy the “North Africa” national objective (5) but can still enjoy easy passage to the Middle East…

Historical footnotes:
    (1) Hitler wanted to neutralize France in the fight against Britain. He was concerned with its Mediterranean fleet and bases. In turn, France was happy not to be destroyed while maintaining rich colonies in Africa.

(2) French colonial officers were ambivalent about cooperating with Vichy, Germany or Italy. Weak ties led them to flip according to circumstances.

(3) Germany and Vichy agreed to coordinate military operations but rarely fought together. Vichy refused a military alliance with Germany. Moreover, colonial troops suffered low morale and often disobeyed orders.

(4) Germany exploited Vichy economically, extracting logistical support to 300,000 German troops in Northern France. In addition, Germany used Frenchmen captured before the armistice to work as slave labor in Germany.

(5) Hitler forbade Mussolini from occupying French colonies. But French Indochina was an easy prey for Japan interested in blockading Nationalist China and in attacking Dutch-owned oilfields.

Enjoy.
    phd_angel@yahoo.com
    Chicago, 2020

PS: Madagascar was added in setup in July 2023

• @phd_angel

These rules are very cool, they seem balanced, are simple enough, are historically accurate and logical.

I think Madagascar and French West Africa should also become Vichy though.

• @SuperbattleshipYamato - Thanks so much for your kind note. Indeed, the intention is to combine playability with historical realism.

You are correct that Madagascar should be Vichy (even as it fell to Britain in the following year). I’ll update the rules accordingly. However, West Africa remained Free France in the historical record (Operation Menace). So, West Africa should remain Free France.

Thanks for the note. Have fun!

• @phd_angel

Wasn’t Dakar Vichy?

By the way, my bad, I thought this was for Global 1940, not Global War (which I’ve never played, so I guess I really shouldn’t comment).

• @SuperbattleshipYamato

Yes, you are correct. Dakar (in Senegal) was Vichy until 1942 but the vast majority of French West Africa remained Free France. (Gabon quickly fell to de Gaulle in 1940). Thus, given the preponderance of Free France in that macro region, it makes sense to ascribe it to France. (But feel free to mark it otherwise, if you feel so).

I devised these game rules to easily work in any Axis & Allies variant (Europe 40, Global 40, Global War, HBR, Bloodbath, etc.).

Thanks again for your note. Have fun!

• 2024 2023 '22

@phd_angel

Thanks for letting me know it still works with out of box rules.

Guess French West Africa does make sense to be Free.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m