• (2) already increased submarine survivability a lot (compared to AA50)
    do we really need (3)?

anyway (3) is still quite complex
    especially the modified combat value bit
    I think the fact that only DD and air can hit stealth mode submarines is doing something already

you could be more gradual with the first version of AA50e?

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Jenny’s Super Simple Submarine Rules for Enhanced Anniversary:

1)  Submarines cost 5 IPC with or without improved shipyards.
    2)  Submarines attack at a 3, defend at a 0
    3)  Submarines can only hit surface ships (Transports, Destroyers, Cruisers, Battleships and Aircraft Carriers)
    4)  Destroyers, Jet Fighters and Heavy Bombers can detect submarines.  The attacker rolls 1 Die, the defender rolls 1 Die, after bonuses and penalties are taken into account, whoever has the lowest number wins (if the defender wins, the submarines have submerged before the attacker can return to kill them.)  Bonuses and penalties are from technologies, of course.
    5)  Any surfaced Submarine adjacent to any of your industrial complexes at the end of your turn does 1 IPC CRD. 
    6)  Germany, Italy and Russia are immune to CRD attacks (China is also immune in the off chance England buys a Complex for Kwangtung and then England falls followed by China liberating Kwangtung…it COULD happen, but I doubt it ever will!)

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Let me clarify my reasoning on point number 2:

Submarines defend at a zero because they are not firing back, they are battening the hatches, flooding the ballast tanks and adjusting the dive planes hoping to get below depth charge depth before being sunk. (Which is silly, I guess you should say destroyed not sunk, since they sink on purpose…)

Meanwhile, they attack at three because they quietly slip into range, hide in the waves, line up their shot just right and fire.  Since there is resistance to giving them called shot abilities (where they tell us who they aim for before firing, like Kaitens and Kamikazees did in AARe) I figure this is a solution that would work.

Also, it should be mentioned that I am assuming Super Submarines has been changed to Super Destroyers which would increase Destroyer Attack Power = to Submarine Power.

Submarines do not defend with a surface fleet, they travel solo usually way out ahead as scouts or raiding enemy shipping.  Treat them like transports if they are detected and defenseless.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m