• @General:

The error you make is that you don’t make any Russian attacks on R1… At least one should always be possible on normal dice and with some luck even two. Russia is not in such a bad shape as it looks, with all the infantry she can afford to make riskier attacks than you normally would.  wink

Hmm, not so sure about this Driel310.

If Germans have tank and arty in Karelia, 3 infantry and 1 arty in baltic states and 6 tanks and two infantry in East Poland where does Russia attack?

I think Artillery or planes might be better for Russia than tanks.  As long as Artillery has infantry to go with it, it adds as much attack power as a tank and does it 20% cheaper.  Planes give Russia some “teeth” for hitting territories that you know won’t hold through to the next German turn.

Attack and retake Karelia. Plus set up Karelia/Belorussia and Eastern Ukraine as deadzones so Germany is unable to advance further.

As for the rtl, I agree with you there, a combo of rtl’s + infantry is an attacking punch as well.  :wink:

• @General:

The error you make is that you don’t make any Russian attacks on R1… At least one should always be possible on normal dice and with some luck even two. Russia is not in such a bad shape as it looks, with all the infantry she can afford to make riskier attacks than you normally would.  wink

Hmm, not so sure about this Driel310.

If Germans have tank and arty in Karelia, 3 infantry and 1 arty in baltic states and 6 tanks and two infantry in East Poland where does Russia attack?

How the heck can a German tank AND artillery end up in Karelia after G1? They should’ve gotten there by transport, but that can only take a tank OR an artillery.

Right…?  :?

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Take Baltic States and Karelia

NCM the tank to Karelia

Only way I can think of.

• whenever I reluctantly play Russia for the first few turns a build purely infantry,this serves  a major speed-bump on the Germans normal KRF strategy

• You focus too much on russia! I think the race to moscow strategy is totaly nuts. With germany only building tanks and inf in B1 the german fleet will be sunk and the landings in france and norway will start. The United Kingdom will start the strategic bombardment of berlin and the United States might join in. The german tanks will be needed to reconquer france every turn. The key to victory is a balanced strategy on both sides!

• @Count_Zeppelin:

The key to victory is a balanced strategy on both sides!

I agree. I have won playing both sides (1941) and the allies have a strong position. btw why would you buy anything other than maximum units for Russia? Tanks on turn 1? I wouldn’t think of it until I had a stable UK or US presence on the continent.

• @Count_Zeppelin:

You focus too much on russia! I think the race to moscow strategy is totaly nuts. With germany only building tanks and inf in B1 the german fleet will be sunk and the landings in france and norway will start. The United Kingdom will start the strategic bombardment of berlin and the United States might join in. The german tanks will be needed to reconquer france every turn. The key to victory is a balanced strategy on both sides!

Exactly what I am thinking. Everyone seems to be looking for a non-KGF game in AA:50, and are looking for KJF etc…but nooone seems to wonder about a new goal for the Axis.

I mean, it used to be in AA:R and Classic: With Germany…RACE FOR MOSCOW!
    But could it be that, in AA:50, instead of a KRF-game, it has changed into a KBF…or KUSAF first kinda game?

Maybe Germany shouldnt go for Russia, but for the UK, who cant survive with USa support, but the USA support is way too occpuied by Japan.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@oldguard11:

@Count_Zeppelin:

The key to victory is a balanced strategy on both sides!

I agree. I have won playing both sides (1941) and the allies have a strong position. btw why would you buy anything other than maximum units for Russia? Tanks on turn 1? I wouldn’t think of it until I had a stable UK or US presence on the continent.

Hell yes I would!

30 IPC: 6 Armor

Nothing less would do!

• Hell yes I would!

30 IPC: 6 Armor

Nothing less would do!

Sorry, I’m too chicken for that built! But two tanks, two art and 4 inf would be nice.
    Caucasus is a potential weak spot, and i like to reinforce it and retain the possibility of a backstrike!

But I like the 6 tank strategy - it really takes on the german

• @General:

I think Artillery or planes might be better for Russia than tanks.  As long as Artillery has infantry to go with it, it adds as much attack power as a tank and does it 20% cheaper.  Planes give Russia some “teeth” for hitting territories that you know won’t hold through to the next German turn.

True - both a inf/tank and inf/art have an initial attack value of 4, BUT, when one of these units are hit (you would take the infantry as the casualty) then you are only attacking with a 2 (art) vs a 3 (tank).  I think they call this “skew”.  So MHO is that (in most cases) a inf/tank is better than a inf/art.
    Thanks.

• So MHO is that (in most cases) a inf/tank is better than a inf/art.

As it should be, since the former costs 1 IPC more. Now that the transport cost is the same for an Arty and a Tank, I cant think of a place off hand where the Inf/Arty would be better than Inf/Arm. Is there one?

• I just played a game this weekend with a buddy of mine.  I was the Axis.  G1 I guilt 4 tanks, 2 art, 1 inf and I took Karelia, Baltic, Egypt (I was left with 2 tanks here - I couldn’t believe it!), E.Poland and Ukraine as well as UK’s BB & tranny and the DD in SZ6.  I landed all my German air force in Norway (I didn’t lose any planes to the anti-aircraft in Karelia thankfully).  On J1 I bought a factory for Manchuria, eliminated China, took Kwang, E.Indies and Borneo.  On G2 I bought a Bomber, 7 tanks, 1 art, 1 inf and took Belorussia, Archangel and E.Ukraine as well as killing the entire British navy (very lucky rolling on my part - I had only expected to damage his navy, not destroy it completely).  On J2 I bought 3 tanks (for Manchuria) a bomber and some small navy units (I can’t remember what it was).  Anyhow, before the combat phase of J2 he called the game!  We had played for only and hour and twenty minutes!
    Now, I just want to say… I had extremely lucky dice.  I never should have done that well that quickly; but it was fun anyway! 
    Just wanted to share…
    Thanks.

• Those first turn battles are so crucial and I think the luck factor is magnified on that turn. Sending a Sub, 1 plane, 1 bomber to Sz2 and losing puts you at a severe disadvantage. Ditto for the attack on Brits fleet off Gibraltar.

That first German turn really sets the tone for the game IMO. If Germany wins those battles without getting zapped, she is usually in good shape for the entire early game. If she loses any of those battles via bad dice, things can go down hill very quickly in my experience.

• @Uncle_Joe:

Those first turn battles are so crucial and I think the luck factor is magnified on that turn. Sending a Sub, 1 plane, 1 bomber to Sz2 and losing puts you at a severe disadvantage. Ditto for the attack on Brits fleet off Gibraltar.

That first German turn really sets the tone for the game IMO. If Germany wins those battles without getting zapped, she is usually in good shape for the entire early game. If she loses any of those battles via bad dice, things can go down hill very quickly in my experience.

I think you are exactly right.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m