• I could use clarification on how subs are sunk. I understand that a sub can only attack ships in the same sea zone. Since surface ships have ranged firing and can shoot into the next sea zone, can they attack (and sink) subs in an adjacent sea zone or only in their own?  :?

8-) An observation while we’re on the subject of subs: Seems subs won’t last long. It has to invade the enemy’s zone, so it probably has no allied ships with it and can easily be taken out. Then it only has 1/3 chance of hitting–only 1/6 chance of sinking capital ships. Would seem a loaded transport is the only target worth stalking because of the payoff.

• Official Q&A

@General:

I could use clarification on how subs are sunk. I understand that a sub can only attack ships in the same sea zone. Since surface ships have ranged firing and can shoot into the next sea zone, can they attack (and sink) subs in an adjacent sea zone or only in their own?  :?

Ships with Ranged Fire can’t attack an adjacent sea zone.  They can attack an adjacent island zone.  Artillery can attack an adjacent sea zone, so they can hit subs there.

• :-o I thought I was asking a question about subs and instead I learn I’ve misunderstood surface fleet action! Looked more closely at the rules and they never say there’s ranged sea fire. Thanks for straightening me out on a very important matter! :wink:

• Your observation about subs survivability is accurate though.  I think subs are not adequately represented in this regard.  However, fixing this may lead to “huge sub stacks” which would be neither fun nor historically accurate.  This appears to be one thing we just have to live with.  Taking out a carrier is worth a risk too even at 1/6 odds, because a single victory point might just do the trick for you.  I wouldn’t go after a battleship in most cases with a sub because of the “first hit ignore” rule.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m