• There we go. On to the Italians.

But back to my bid question- what would be the bid for this version of play?

• Also, next time. (hopefully you will want a next time) I would still like to be the Allies. I feel like they are easily the weakest side for me to learn about. I think the Allies start out with the steepest learning curve. Both sides are tough to understand. But the Axis have a huge variety of options to win and, to me, look like the funner side to play, which is another reason why I’d like to raise my Allies game first.

The main thing that is killing me is my lack of knowledge in this games tactics. Your game in that regard is outstanding.

• 2023 '20

@Stough
    OOB - out of box. The set-up and rules from the box game. Since its release, the rules/set up have gone through 3 major adjustments by larry harris. I think the final revesion was like 7 years ago. Since then certain strategies have been developed that make it next to impossible for the allies to win. We are playing OOB. The bid range is high 30’s to low 50’s for the allies in this iteration.
    Since then, various people have come up with ways to balance the game. BM3, created on triplea is the most popular on this site, though i see a new version, with a new map, being play tested.
    I would love another game - but I encourage you to try axis. It will help you “think like the enemy,” becoming a better allies player.
    Thank you for the compliment, but i have to tell you - while my tatics might be pretty good, my strategy needs a lot of work. Iam getting bmy but hamded to me by another player right now in another game. I too have a LOT to learn.

• 2023 '20

@Stough
    Feel free to look at other games. You can download them same way you download ours - and just open in “play local”. Then you can go to the game menu, select game history, and look at each move. That is how i got my running start.

• 2023 '20

@Stough
    In the play board games forum - there is mainah vs wizmark and wizmark vs mainah. You’ll see what i mean by getting my but kicked.
    But its a fun and educational but kicking.

• '20 '19

@mainah :grinning: :grinning: 😉

• I looked at a game between Trumpien and the guy who came up with J-1, I forget his name, It was way over my head, but it helped me get a better feel. I’ve also been checking out a tutor game from a while ago where the community explains what and why. Trulpen and AndrewAAgamer are the leads on that one.

I think it will take a few more game plays for me to start seeing things more clearly. The switch from the board map to this one is jarring in itself.

For this game, I am just intrigued by how the game develops over time.
    It’s precisely this point in the game where I want to see what happens. For me, it’s a struggle, because I want to play aggressively, but I think that would lead to odd occurrences that normally wouldn’t happen. So, for me, I’ve been trying to take as few chances as possible and just slowly build and see what that does.

Your German attack is mostly what I expected as to pace (not to placement- had no clue there). I am a bit shocked that despite the massive amount of early infantry buy and clearing out of almost all assets out of Western Europe that the Russians were still able to hold Bryansk in turn 4.

I take it as a moral victory that Moscow will not fall in turn 5 or 6. (please don’t disabuse me of this delusion)

Strategically, the German drive to the south of Pripet was unexpected. As soon as you massed your guys in East Poland- I was thinking, “Uh oh, I have no idea what I’m doing”. I was hoping for a drive North.

With the Japanese, the whole game has been a 'WTF is happening". Never seen or read about a J2, every single move has been unexpected and jaw dropping. It’s been like watching a train wreck in slow motion.

• 2023 '20

@Stough
    I think in OOB J1 is the most common. I tried out the standard variations against myself - and never liked any of them. It might be because of my limited experience, but i view the benefit of the TUV swing for japan is out weighed by the lack of any positional advantage, the limited IPC gained by what is captured, and the immediate bump in USA money and the USA is now in the war.
    In the balance mod - from what i have read - J3 is the most common, and I’m finding out why (via the but kicking from Wiz) but i think there is value in a J2 if it is done right, especially if it is unexpected. But i definitely didn’t do it right against Wiz. Your conservative play is allowing for an effective J2 this game, but i still think the strategy and the purchases i made need more tweaking.

• 2023 '20

@Stough
    In my game with wiz i must admit i was planing for a J3. I reacted to some moves of his. But i did so thinking that 1: it was unexpected, and with some of his moves there was some opportunistic moves i could make and 2) i had been pondering the idea for a while.
    I was right that it was unexpected, but read more into the oppotunity of his position more than what was actually there.

• You weren’t lying. Your getting murdered in that game. His moves with China and Russia have just been so deft. Wow!

• 2023 '20

TripleA Move Summary: Italians round 4

TripleA Move Summary for game: World War II Global 1940 2nd Edition, version: 4.0.0

Game History

Round: 4

Purchase Units - Italians
            Italians buy 1 artillery, 3 infantry and 1 mech_infantry; Remaining resources: 1 PUs; 

Combat Move - Italians
            1 bomber moved from Slovakia Hungary to Russia

Savegame

• 2023 '20

TripleA Turn Summary: Italians round 4

TripleA Turn Summary for game: World War II Global 1940 2nd Edition, version: 4.0.0

Game History

Purchase Units - Italians
            Italians buy 1 artillery, 3 infantry and 1 mech_infantry; Remaining resources: 1 PUs; 

Combat Move - Italians
            1 bomber moved from Slovakia Hungary to Russia

Combat - Italians
            Italians creates battle in territory 97 Sea Zone
            Strategic bombing raid in Russia
                    Russians roll AA dice in Russia : 0/1 hits, 0.17 expected hits
                Bombing raid in Russia rolls: 5 and causes: 5 damage to unit: factory_major
                Bombing raid in Russia causes 5 damage total. 

Non Combat Move - Italians
            1 bomber moved from Russia to Western Ukraine
            1 armour moved from Bulgaria to Eastern Poland

Place Units - Italians
            1 infantry placed in Southern Italy
            1 artillery, 2 infantry and 1 mech_infantry placed in Northern Italy

Turn Complete - Italians
            Italians collect 10 PUs; end with 11 PUs

Combat Hit Differential Summary :

Russians AA : -0.17

Savegame

• TripleA Move Summary: ANZAC round 4

TripleA Move Summary for game: World War II Global 1940 2nd Edition, version: 4.0.0

Game History

Purchase Units - ANZAC
            ANZAC buy 3 infantry; Remaining resources: 10 PUs; 

Combat Move - ANZAC
            1 infantry moved from New Guinea to Dutch New Guinea

Savegame

• TripleA Turn Summary: ANZAC round 4

TripleA Turn Summary for game: World War II Global 1940 2nd Edition, version: 4.0.0

Game History

Purchase Units - ANZAC

Combat Move - ANZAC

Combat - ANZAC
            Battle in Dutch New Guinea
                ANZAC attack with 2 infantry
                Japanese defend with 1 infantry
                    ANZAC roll dice for 2 infantry in Dutch New Guinea, round 2 : 0/2 hits, 0.33 expected hits
                    Japanese roll dice for 1 infantry in Dutch New Guinea, round 2 : 1/1 hits, 0.33 expected hits
                    1 infantry owned by the ANZAC lost in Dutch New Guinea
                    ANZAC roll dice for 1 infantry in Dutch New Guinea, round 3 : 0/1 hits, 0.17 expected hits
                    Japanese roll dice for 1 infantry in Dutch New Guinea, round 3 : 0/1 hits, 0.33 expected hits
                    ANZAC roll dice for 1 infantry in Dutch New Guinea, round 4 : 1/1 hits, 0.17 expected hits
                    Japanese roll dice for 1 infantry in Dutch New Guinea, round 4 : 0/1 hits, 0.33 expected hits
                    1 infantry owned by the Japanese lost in Dutch New Guinea
                ANZAC win, taking Dutch New Guinea from Japanese with 1 infantry remaining. Battle score for attacker is 0
                Casualties for ANZAC: 1 infantry
                Casualties for Japanese: 1 infantry

Non Combat Move - ANZAC
            1 infantry moved from Queensland to South Australia
            1 infantry moved from Iraq to Northwest Persia
            1 aaGun moved from Queensland to New South Wales
            1 fighter moved from Queensland to New South Wales

Place Units - ANZAC
            3 infantry placed in New South Wales
            Turning on Edit Mode

Turn Complete - ANZAC
            ANZAC collect 9 PUs; end with 19 PUs
            Objective ANZAC 2 Control Strategic Islands: ANZAC met a national objective for an additional 5 PUs; end with 24 PUs

Japanese regular : 0.00
    ANZAC regular : 0.33

Savegame

• TripleA Move Summary: French round 4

Game History

Politics - French
            Trigger French Friendly With Mongolians activates a trigger called: Trigger Allies Friendly With Mongolians

Combat Move - French
            1 destroyer moved from 81 Sea Zone to 97 Sea Zone
            1 fighter moved from Syria to 97 Sea Zone

Savegame

• Again I forget about the scramble. I’ll redo the Frenchies.

Also, I tried to edit my ANZAC to move my transport and destroyer to NZ/SZ63, but couldn’t figure out how to do it.

Would you edit those two units please.

• TripleA Turn Summary: French round 4

Game History

Purchase Units - ANZAC

Combat Move - ANZAC

Combat - ANZAC
            Battle in Dutch New Guinea
                ANZAC attack with 2 infantry
                Japanese defend with 1 infantry
                    ANZAC roll dice for 2 infantry in Dutch New Guinea, round 2 : 0/2 hits, 0.33 expected hits
                    Japanese roll dice for 1 infantry in Dutch New Guinea, round 2 : 1/1 hits, 0.33 expected hits
                    1 infantry owned by the ANZAC lost in Dutch New Guinea
                    ANZAC roll dice for 1 infantry in Dutch New Guinea, round 3 : 0/1 hits, 0.17 expected hits
                    Japanese roll dice for 1 infantry in Dutch New Guinea, round 3 : 0/1 hits, 0.33 expected hits
                    ANZAC roll dice for 1 infantry in Dutch New Guinea, round 4 : 1/1 hits, 0.17 expected hits
                    Japanese roll dice for 1 infantry in Dutch New Guinea, round 4 : 0/1 hits, 0.33 expected hits
                    1 infantry owned by the Japanese lost in Dutch New Guinea
                ANZAC win, taking Dutch New Guinea from Japanese with 1 infantry remaining. Battle score for attacker is 0
                Casualties for ANZAC: 1 infantry
                Casualties for Japanese: 1 infantry

Non Combat Move - ANZAC
            1 infantry moved from Queensland to South Australia
            1 aaGun moved from Queensland to New South Wales
            1 fighter moved from Queensland to New South Wales

Place Units - ANZAC
            3 infantry placed in New South Wales
            Turning on Edit Mode

Turn Complete - ANZAC
            ANZAC collect 9 PUs; end with 19 PUs
            Objective ANZAC 2 Control Strategic Islands: ANZAC met a national objective for an additional 5 PUs; end with 24 PUs
            EDIT: Turning off Edit Mode

Politics - French
            Trigger French Friendly With Mongolians activates a trigger called: Trigger Allies Friendly With Mongolians

Combat Move - French

Non Combat Move - French
            1 infantry moved from Northwest Persia to Caucasus
            1 infantry moved from Algeria to Tunisia
            1 infantry moved from Anglo Egyptian Sudan to Egypt
            1 fighter moved from Syria to Volgograd
            1 destroyer moved from 81 Sea Zone to 94 Sea Zone

Turn Complete - French

Japanese regular : 0.00
    ANZAC regular : 0.33

Savegame

• Again, if you could edit my ANZAC tran and des to SZ63, that would be great.

On to the Germans

• 2023 '20

TripleA Move Summary: Germans round 5

Game History

Round: 5

Research Technology - Germans

Purchase Units - Germans
            Germans buy 1 armour, 1 artillery, 1 bomber, 5 infantry and 7 mech_infantrys; Remaining resources: 0 PUs; 

Combat Move - Germans
            2 artilleries and 2 infantry moved from France to Normandy Bordeaux
            2 bombers moved from Western Germany to Normandy Bordeaux
            1 fighter moved from Southern Italy to Normandy Bordeaux
            1 fighter moved from Western Germany to Normandy Bordeaux
            2 infantry moved from Western Germany to Holland Belgium
            2 bombers moved from Poland to Holland Belgium
            1 bomber moved from Poland to Archangel
            1 artillery and 2 infantry moved from Novgorod to Archangel

Savegame

• 2023 '20

TripleA Turn Summary: Germans round 5

Game History

Round: 5

Research Technology - Germans

Purchase Units - Germans
            Germans buy 1 armour, 1 artillery, 1 bomber, 5 infantry and 7 mech_infantrys; Remaining resources: 0 PUs; 

Combat Move - Germans
            2 artilleries and 2 infantry moved from France to Normandy Bordeaux
            2 bombers moved from Western Germany to Normandy Bordeaux
            1 fighter moved from Southern Italy to Normandy Bordeaux
            2 infantry moved from Western Germany to Holland Belgium
            2 bombers moved from Poland to Holland Belgium
            1 bomber moved from Poland to Archangel
            1 artillery and 2 infantry moved from Novgorod to Archangel

Combat - Germans
            Germans creates battle in territory 125 Sea Zone
            Battle in Normandy Bordeaux
                Germans attack with 2 artilleries, 2 bombers, 3 fighters and 2 infantry
                Americans defend with 1 factory_minor, 1 harbour, 2 infantry and 2 mech_infantrys
                    Germans roll dice for 2 artilleries, 2 bombers, 3 fighters and 2 infantry in Normandy Bordeaux, round 2 : 4/9 hits, 4.17 expected hits
                    Americans roll dice for 2 infantry and 2 mech_infantrys in Normandy Bordeaux, round 2 : 3/4 hits, 1.33 expected hits
                    1 artillery owned by the Germans, 2 infantry owned by the Germans, 2 infantry owned by the Americans and 2 mech_infantrys owned by the Americans lost in Normandy Bordeaux
                Germans win, taking 125 Sea Zone from Russians, taking Normandy Bordeaux from Americans with 1 artillery, 2 bombers and 3 fighters remaining. Battle score for attacker is 4
                Casualties for Germans: 1 artillery and 2 infantry
                Casualties for Americans: 2 infantry and 2 mech_infantrys
            Battle in Holland Belgium
                Germans attack with 2 bombers and 2 infantry
                British defend with 1 infantry and 1 mech_infantry
                    Germans roll dice for 2 bombers and 2 infantry in Holland Belgium, round 2 : 3/4 hits, 1.67 expected hits
                    British roll dice for 1 infantry and 1 mech_infantry in Holland Belgium, round 2 : 1/2 hits, 0.67 expected hits
                    1 mech_infantry owned by the British, 1 infantry owned by the Germans and 1 infantry owned by the British lost in Holland Belgium
                Germans win, taking Holland Belgium from British with 2 bombers and 1 infantry remaining. Battle score for attacker is 4
                Casualties for Germans: 1 infantry
                Casualties for British: 1 infantry and 1 mech_infantry
            Battle in Archangel
                Germans attack with 1 artillery, 1 bomber and 2 infantry
                Russians defend with 1 infantry
                    Germans roll dice for 1 artillery, 1 bomber and 2 infantry in Archangel, round 2 : 3/4 hits, 1.50 expected hits
                    Russians roll dice for 1 infantry in Archangel, round 2 : 1/1 hits, 0.33 expected hits
                    1 infantry owned by the Russians and 1 infantry owned by the Germans lost in Archangel
                Germans win, taking Archangel from Russians with 1 artillery, 1 bomber and 1 infantry remaining. Battle score for attacker is 0
                Casualties for Germans: 1 infantry
                Casualties for Russians: 1 infantry

Non Combat Move - Germans
            1 fighter moved from Normandy Bordeaux to Southern Italy
            2 fighters moved from Normandy Bordeaux to Western Germany
            2 bombers moved from Normandy Bordeaux to Western Germany
            2 bombers moved from Holland Belgium to Poland
            1 bomber moved from Archangel to Poland
            2 infantry and 2 mech_infantrys moved from Novgorod to Archangel
            1 mech_infantry moved from Eastern Poland to Western Ukraine
            1 fighter and 5 tactical_bombers moved from Eastern Poland to Western Ukraine
            8 mech_infantrys moved from Eastern Poland to Archangel
            7 mech_infantrys moved from Germany to Eastern Poland

Place Units - Germans
            1 armour and 2 mech_infantrys placed in Novgorod
            1 artillery and 2 infantry placed in France
            1 bomber and 3 infantry placed in Western Germany
            5 mech_infantrys placed in Germany

Turn Complete - Germans
            Germans collect 53 PUs; end with 53 PUs
            Trigger Germans 5 Swedish Iron Ore: Germans met a national objective for an additional 5 PUs; end with 58 PUs
            Objective Germans 2 Control Novgorod Or Volgograd Or Russia: Germans met a national objective for an additional 5 PUs; end with 63 PUs

Americans regular : 1.67
    Russians regular : 0.67
    Germans regular : 2.67
    British regular : 0.33

Savegame

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m