old fashion classic strategy, could it be useful in G40?

• 2024 2023 '22 '19 '18

I was thinking of a simplified strategy for the US for noobs. First turn purchase: two transports and two tanks so that three tanks on 3 transports can hit Morocco asap. They are ready to roll through N Africa and into the ME. The shuck is simplicity itself. Three there, three back. Assuming a J1 DOW, one could penetrate into the ME and start rocking and rolling, turn 7? You could work your way up to four tanks, no infantry in no time. This would be a solid contribution to the Allied cause and leave plenty of room for the Pacific war. It obviously could be disrupted to send tanks of opportunity to all the usual spots at a moment’s notice at the cost of 39 ipc one way. You could send transports to scoop units on the way, threatening Italy. It might make a new player happy to be moving pieces and eventually contributing to important fights in the mid to late game.

On the other side, warships would be built up for three turns, watching the IPN go toward India. At that point, turn 3 or 4, begin shucking three tanks SFE. build six that turn so that that the back and forth can begin (SFE to Alaska to SFE again). Seems very straight forward. Fun.

• @crockett36 said in old fashion classic strategy, could it be useful in G40?:

I was thinking of a simplified strategy for the US for noobs. First turn purchase: two transports and two tanks so that three tanks on 3 transports can hit Morocco asap. They are ready to roll through N Africa and into the ME. The shuck is simplicity itself. Three there, three back. Assuming a J1 DOW, one could penetrate into the ME and start rocking and rolling, turn 7? You could work your way up to four tanks, no infantry in no time. This would be a solid contribution to the Allied cause and leave plenty of room for the Pacific war. It obviously could be disrupted to send tanks of opportunity to all the usual spots at a moment’s notice at the cost of 39 ipc one way. You could send transports to scoop units on the way, threatening Italy. It might make a new player happy to be moving pieces and eventually contributing to important fights in the mid to late game.

On the other side, warships would be built up for three turns, watching the IPN go toward India. At that point, turn 3 or 4, begin shucking three tanks SFE. build six that turn so that that the back and forth can begin (SFE to Alaska to SFE again). Seems very straight forward. Fun.

Have you ever tried it chucking units by the SFE? And does it have succes or not?

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20

I don’t know about this. Small issue is the US transports would need to be protected against an air attack from Italy or Germany. That should not be too hard to do with an airbase on Gibraltar. Big issue is that is a lot of money going towards nothing for the first 7 Turns of the game. No pressure on Germany or Italy except for taking North Africa and less pressure on Japan.

Getting additional units to the Middle East is nice however since no pressure is being put on Germany those units are going to be needed after Moscow falls. One of the keys for the Allies is hurting Germany’s ability to concentrate on Russia early on. If you want to do a schuck-schuck how about setting one up for Normandy or Norway? I realize that would double the transports needed so maybe 2-2-2-2 vs 3-3?

Of course if it is Norway that assumes the US is holding Norway and built a Naval Base there.

• @Cornwallis I have. But it was usually infantry and just to annoy and distract. This is more of a supply chain.

• @AndrewAAGamer I’m thinking particularly of noobs. Guys walks in and has almost complete control over his nation and has time to get it, sees his influence grow. Norway is superior but more complicated unless the British player took care of the naval support without playing puppeteer.

In defense of the strategy for better players, the allied investment in transports is super low. Ergo more weapons can be built, both for the water and the land. Transports are the poison the allies must drink.

• @crockett36 for noobs you can just hope that the opponent thinks that the Italian capitol is in Milan and he leaves Rome undefended. Or miscalculates with USA taking Denmark and UK capturing an undefended Berlin. One of these two strategies always works…

Honestly noobs turtle down so much that virtually any attack strategy will work since you will soon have a huge economic advantage.

• 2024 2023 '22 '19 '18

What I mean is HELPING noobs get excited about the game, own their pieces, have a plan of action and see it through without too much interference. A couple of games like that and they’ll be hooked. I have introduced many to AnA. We’ve got to be far sighted and raise up the next gen.

• 2024 2023 '22 '19 '18

Could be simplified even further by a build up for six transports hitting SFE about the time that IJN rounds the Malacca strait. And every turn after, six tanks. Of course, it looks like a KJF, but you would be committing 100 to Pac but send them or some of them through Siberia to Moscow.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m