Avalon Hill Board Games Moved from WotC to Hasbro

• Hasbro has also been on fire with Risk games in the past few years, with Risk: Star Wars, Risk: Europe, Risk: Office Politics, and several others. If they could inject that kind of energy and creativity into A&A, that would be a good thing.

We would likely get a few games that the old guard won’t immediately like, but if it keeps the brand alive I say bring it on.

-Midnight_Reaper

• My wife was an executive for Hasbro/WotC for years so I have some insight into the working of the organization. I can tell you that this change doesn’t look good for the A&A franchise. Hasbro will only keep the game lines that make them money on a BIG scale. Any game lines they keep will be cheapened, reissued, and beat to death for profit. That’s just Hasbro’s business model. Don’t expect any new developments for Axis and Allies unless you think Axis and Allies and Zombies is a big new game, just expect more of that kind of thing from the people at Hasbro. I just hope I’m wrong and if I am I’ll be the first to admit so.

• Ok question: Aren’t most of the WOTC people fat and lazy fantasy gamers who only wanted to make more fantasy games and all got their jobs by referring friends who were also fantasy gamers? I maintain for the most part this was true and Avalon Hill was a sideshow and deliberately sabotaged so that it would fail so WOTC could validate more resources to make more fantasy games.

• Well not all are fat lazy gamers but it would seem that some are:blush: I have to say that as far as talent goes the folks at WotC that work with the Magic line and other fantasy products are top notch albeit a LOT strange for sure. About Avalon Hill and A&A being a side line that would seem to be the case. I just hope I’m wrong in my speculation and would love to see Hasbro have The Avalon Hill people work some fresh air into the A&A group. But how far can the product go without Larry? The last product was childish and stupid in my opinion, I mean Zombies, REALLY??? By the way it was the “pet” project of the President of WotC. Just tells you how much he was in touch with reality.

• @Reeds253 said in Avalon Hill Board Games Moved from WotC to Hasbro:

" fantasy products are top notch albeit a LOT strange for sure"

And they mostly got their jobs from a referral from another employee as opposed from a direct and independent job applicant who didn’t know anybody currently working at WOTC/Hasbro? My point is close to 100% of new hires are all piggybacks off each other.

• I’m not sure that the piggyback theory plays true for the entire company. My wife didn’t know anybody at the company when she went to work there. But you might be right about a lot of the developers and artists I just don’t know. Bottom line is it would seem that WotC didn’t support Avalon Hill group much except to take any profits the group realized and put them into their coffers.

• @Reeds253 Well I’m with you in hoping that you’re wrong :grinning:

Yeah, I can see your point if that’s the case. I would just be surprised if they just let this die. It does have a decent following I think, and is iconic. I just hope it’s not just left to wilt away.

• @Chris_Henry I pray I’m wrong!

Well see how this rolls out. My wife talked to some of Her friends on the inside and they say that the A&A franchise is strong and still popular with buyers so let’s hope the profits are such that Hasbro will support the line and not let it whither away. I’ve got my fingers crossed that A&A rolls all ones!
    Reed.

• You roll all ones ! Your the partner I’m looking for in games . Lol. Ya hope it goes good.

• @GEN-MANSTEIN I wish I’d rolled all ones last Sunday!

My son got me last Sunday it was him rolling a lot of ones that game. Well there’s always next time :hand_with_index_and_middle_fingers_crossed:
    Reed.

• Cool. Maybe now we can get a FAQ for the Zombie game?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m