• @Luftwaffles41 said in UK Strategy -"Middle Earth":

The destroyer in 110 doesn’t really work because of German Air Supremacy which will destroy it and then have their navy move down to gibraltar in the non combat movement phase

Whoa?1? Can you play through like that? Sink a fleet and then move through the sea zone you just battled in to a SZ further on with other units during non combat?

• @Argothair said in UK Strategy -"Middle Earth":

Sydney is not as easy as it looks, partly because of all the vicious, vicious emus that defend the plains

Easily the best line of this discussion. So good.

Another reason to push forward with the Rising Sun to the ME/Russia. Retreat your navy for a few turns, if you have to, and buy fast movers for Russia/Slow Movers for ME.
    Then , when the pressure from the US gets too big, drop the carriers with the fighters fleshing them out and let the arms race begin.

• @Stough yes you can in NCM.

• @Stough

Why not? Just you can’t land in gribraltar that turn. You carry the units with you on the 3 transports to gibraltar, next turn you take it and in the non combat movement phase you move your ships through the straight of G and into the Med before the Americans can catch you on the way in.

• @Stough

You’ve got a point there, but you’ve gotta think that after that Taranto Raid the U.K would’ve had surface warships to protect those transports for a swift evacuation to Egypt (that is, it’s not taken yet). In other words that Japanese have to devote their own warships to go size up and support a campaign into the ME which would allow the Americans to come in without any real threat towards their main fleet. If it works for you, then I guess it’s not a bad idea to try it, I’m just going off of what’s logistical here in terms of what’s going to win you the game.

• @Luftwaffles41 no in the rulebook it states you need to control the strait or narrow at the beginning of your turn:

"If your side (but not necessarily your power) controlled a canal or narrow strait at the start of your turn, you may move
    sea units through it (you can’t use it in the same turn that you capture it)
    "

• @Cornwallis

Ahhhh okay I get it sorry totally forgot about that thanks.

• I mean, if that was the case Italy could still take Gibraltar so you could cross the Straight without the pentalty

I mean, if that was the case Italy could still take Gibraltar so you could cross the Straight without the pentalty

yep that’s a good combo of both nations. If Ger and Italy focus on the Med it’s very hard for the UK without US help to hold out.

What is your experience with US buying for exemple 3 or 4 bombers US1 to a) use in Pacific or b) fly to england to destroy a small fleet or strat bomb?

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

@Stough said in UK Strategy -"Middle Earth":

Sink a fleet and then move through the sea zone you just battled in to a SZ further on with other units during non combat?

Yes, in general, although as Luftwaffles points out, you can’t cross a new strait.

• @Cornwallis

I’ve found that the U.S tends to lose the majority of those bombers, especially when the Germans and italians are capable of scrambling. Very inefficient in my opinion.

• @Cornwallis

and frankly id welcome the U.S bombers, if they aren’t building surface warships every turn in the Atlantic then they’re only delaying themselves for every turn to get to the Med and into Europe.

@Cornwallis

I’ve found that the U.S tends to lose the majority of those bombers, especially when the Germans and italians are capable of scrambling. Very inefficient in my opinion.

they can for exemple kill the German fleet after a Sealion (as GHG states in his london calling). Or eventually attack a new italian fleet (after a taranto). if they buy 4 then US has 5 bombers, that can pack a well chosen punch. And if you lose them but wreck some damage then it’s is worth it i think. But they are indeed vulnerable to bad dice.

• @Cornwallis

No, 60+ at the bottom of the Med is not something the Americans can afford to lose. If they lose it then its something they won’t be able to rebuild in time to stop the Axis powers

@Cornwallis

No, 60+ at the bottom of the Med is not something the Americans can afford to lose. If they lose it then its something they won’t be able to rebuild in time to stop the Axis powers

Throwing it away is not a good thing but if they can take a full loaded carrier or the italian navy with it, then why not. It’s like you said, Allies have the lead in IPC so losing more than you kill is not that bad.

Plus, the threat bombers pose is volatile:
    in europe they can attack a fleet, or strat bomb. They can move very quickly to pacific to attack a portion of the japanse fleet or strat bomb the factories.
    It also hides the intentions of going for germany or japan.
    I must say i have never tried it, but my friends and i have been debating the pro’s and con’s of it.

• @Cornwallis

You’re not wrong, with the U.S always for the most part gaining 70+ IPC’s it wouldn’t be a bad thing to lose it, however there’s always a catch to these sorts of things. If the U.S had unlimited time then hell build all the bombers you want and send em to Europe or the Med, but the Americans dont have a lot of time, and it especially doesn’t make it any better if they lollygag about when setting up the Floating Bridge. 6 turns it takes to get guys into France and set it all up, if they aren’t there by the latest of turn 8 then the Axis have won the game.

@Cornwallis

You’re not wrong, with the U.S always for the most part gaining 70+ IPC’s it wouldn’t be a bad thing to lose it, however there’s always a catch to these sorts of things. If the U.S had unlimited time then hell build all the bombers you want and send em to Europe or the Med, but the Americans dont have a lot of time, and it especially doesn’t make it any better if they lollygag about when setting up the Floating Bridge. 6 turns it takes to get guys into France and set it all up, if they aren’t they by the latest of turn 8 then the Axis have won the game.

That’s true, it is a race against time. We thought sending the bombers asap will allow you to damage very early in the game, hopefully slowing the axis down.
    You prefer KGF or KJF?

• @Cornwallis

KGF. I’m not too concerned about Japan considering the idea that they are pretty much in the boxing ring beating the living s*** outta ANZAC and India and China. But the thing is they can’t leave that ring. Germany however is a wolf in a flock of sheep. Germany has the ability to win the game without fighting the Americans. 8 victory cities. Berlin, Rome, Warsaw, Paris, Cairo, Stalingrad, Leningrad, and Moscow. And they will do it at the cost of not even worrying about attacking London or Washington D.C.

@Cornwallis

KGF. I’m not too concerned about Japan considering the idea that they are pretty much in the boxing ring beating the living s*** outta ANZAC and India and China. But the thing is they can’t leave that ring. Germany however is a wolf in a flock of sheep. Germany has the ability to win the game without fighting the Americans. 8 victory cities. Berlin, Rome, Warsaw, Paris, Cairo, Stalingrad, Leningrad, and Moscow. And they will do it at the cost of not even worrying about attacking London or Washington D.C.

Check. So the first 2-3 turns you buy 100% Atlantic?
    And from what turn do you start building in Pacific?

• @Cornwallis

Not necessarily. Turn 1, I buy 2 aircraft carriers and a battleship. I’ll obviously have enough to fill both carriers up with the fighters I already start with. I place 1 AC in the Atlantic and 1 in the Pacific and the Battleship in the Atlantic.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m