🎲😢 PRNG dice support group — and ranting

• Founder TripleA Admin

@Brian-Cannon said in 🎲😢 PRNG dice support group — and ranting:

for every 4 bombing runs I am averaging 3 bombers shot down (multiple games).

I’ve had a lot of bombers shot down but even more got through. This still feels like games in real life

The miss rate on Shore bombardment is worse, and I cant remember when I have hit a territory with AA guns that they didnt hit at least once.

I haven’t had the same experience

I cannot remember an attack I have made where my units exceeded expectations, if anything it will always be less than what calculator predicted.

I’ve had a few battles that went very well in my favor.

I’m not sure it’s actually a PRNG problem. I think it’s a game balance and game mechanic problem being revealed because we play so many more games at the same time with AAO. I may be an A&A fan but 1942 SE definitely has flaws.

• @Imperious-Leader 5 times miss on a 3 is normal, while infantry on a 2 hits three times?

• Back to Uncle Archery. Attack on Egypt. 4 inf 2 arty 1 tank and one bomber vs 3 inf 1 arty, 1 tank and 1 fighter. First round of rolls on offense absolutely nothing in my offense hit, nothing. 4 hits on defense=Rage quit. There are certain games where just nothing goes your way and Uncles Archery was one of them. Yet there are players out there with undefeated records, does anyone find that curious?

• Founder TripleA Admin

Well, this is the dice rant forum so dream up your conspiracy here but leave it here.

Personally, I’ve played a bunch of games that were just fine. A few great and a few not so great. To me it seems to resemble real life but just 10x more games. The. dice just hate me so … no change. I rage quit the same way I might a game with friends when the rolls are terrible. “Screw these dice let’s play Tapestry!”

Thinking about starting to play again during the next “season.”

• '12

@Imperious-Leader said in 🎲😢 PRNG dice support group — and ranting:

“Tit for Tat” isn’t bad dice rolls, its a tendency that the defender will hit if you hit and miss if you miss. I am close to 200 games for 42 online and it never wavered in my observation of these results. I do get bad dice at times, but the average results i observe is this tendency.

Keep in mind if this was true, then 1) the game would have to be deliberately coded to cheat, and 2) if the game was coded to cheat in this way, it would have to affect everybody.

• Keep in mind: 1) It does do this “tit for tat” thing and 2) You just aren’t noticing it.

Also, if many people are quitting this game, and hence the thread, people ‘rage’ quitting, etc I don’t recall other threads about people complaining about AAA dice do you?

• '12

@Imperious-Leader So you honestly think the developers coded the game to cheat, eh? And keep in mind if others are simply ‘just not noticing’, then it can’t be as bad as claimed. Unless you want to add yet another level of cheating and claim that the game was coded to not only cheat, but cheat infrequently enough to try and fly under the radar.

• '12

@Imperious-Leader said in 🎲😢 PRNG dice support group — and ranting:

Keep in mind: 1) It does do this “tit for tat” thing and 2) You just aren’t noticing it.

Also, if many people are quitting this game, and hence the thread, people ‘rage’ quitting, etc I don’t recall other threads about people complaining about AAA dice do you?

And just to be clear, the statement that the game forces players to take casualties is a totally separate issue from players complaining about bad rolling in general.

• “And just to be clear, the statement that the game forces players to take casualties is a totally separate issue from players complaining about bad rolling in general.”

Im not talking about forcing anything nor bad rolling per se.

It’s a tendency for whatever reason that the dice don’t like for ‘lack of a better term’ that the attacker hits and does not allow the defender to miss on his way to total defeat. a force of attacking 15 IPC vs a force of 9 IPC will almost never not see a result of the 9 IPC force being destroyed without killing 3-9 IPC from the attacking force.

It can see a result in the attackers losing entirely, but almost never a 15-0 result. Also, i see too many fives and sixes as results.

• @Imperious-Leader said in 🎲😢 PRNG dice support group — and ranting:

I’ve rage quite TripleA games before. I’ve never rage quit a live tournament (but I wanted to). When I was in the finals the first time, we had very very bad (real dice) first and second roll in W. Russia. My partner wanted to quit, I said let’s play on. We nearly won and would have won if our opponents didn’t slow play; only 5 rounds? C’mon guys and yes I’m still bitter about that. :laughing:

• I’m getting this impression that you quit alot of games and i can’t really add you to the anecdotal category. Then again i may be wrong about my own experience, but I don’t think so.

• '17 '16 '15 Organizer '14 Customizer '13 '12 '11 '10

Eggman wrote:

“So you honestly think the developers coded the game to cheat, eh? And keep in mind if others are simply ‘just not noticing’, then it can’t be as bad as claimed. Unless you want to add yet another level of cheating and claim that the game was coded to not only cheat, but cheat infrequently enough to try and fly under the radar.”

I did not say cheating, the algorithm they use isn’t the type that i feel is best for this game. Its more of a Vegas style randomization. The kind that gives you back something for your money, to keep you into the game but not enough to be totally random. It should be totally random but its not.

• @Imperious-Leader said in 🎲😢 PRNG dice support group — and ranting:

I did not say cheating, the algorithm they use isn’t the type that i feel is best for this game. Its more of a Vegas style randomization. The kind that gives you back something for your money, to keep you into the game but not enough to be totally random.

So, yes, there are different types of PRNGs. I think @redrum maybe talked a bit about this before?

• But i don’t want to be “kept in the game” with diminishing returns. I am already here to stay and win. The angst comes in when its not a logical result on average and contains a “personality” which should not be there!

• TripleA

@djensen Yeah, I posted a while back explaining how TripleA does randomness for dice compared to what A&A Online chose to do. Unless something has changed they use Xorshift128+ generator which there is some research that has shown weaknesses:
    https://arxiv.org/abs/1908.10020
    https://arxiv.org/abs/1907.03251
    https://lemire.me/blog/2017/09/08/the-xorshift128-random-number-generator-fails-bigcrush/

I don’t really know why they chose that generator, most likely either lazyness or lack of understanding. Given the game is targeted at a “broader audience with simpler rules”, my guess is they don’t really care as they want the casual gamer audience which is much larger than us nerds :)

• Are all these online games or against the AI?

I’ve tried single player so many times and the dice vs. AI combat moves makes it virtually unplayable. Ex. taking Borneo with 2 infantry, I’ve succeeded once (as GB) whereas I’d say >50% for AI GB.

Now I no there’s basically zero incentive for a big overhaul of the system generator itself, simple economics and market value for the game, but it’s just frustrating.

Between that, initial round of defensive rolls, and the AA/Bombing Raid odds, virtually unplayable.

• Borneo works 100% of the time against me. Just need 2 infantry vs 1 infantry, so does New Guinea, and the Carrier and UK Fighter vs. my Destroyer and Transport…and so does the attack against my Japanese Indian fleet…even though they are terrible odds ( Indian fleet gambit is a coin flip).

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18

Enemy 3 INF + 3 TANK Vs. 7 INF + 1 FTR in Berlin.

Calc says 7% chance for attacker to win.

A&A Online Says Attacker wins with 1 INF taken as casualty.

Sod off, A&A Online.

• 2inf(1s)6arm(3s)2bomb(4s) vs 1inf(2)-spoiler: the inf loses
    rd1-atk all misses def miss
    rd2-atk all misses def miss
    rd3-atk (1s) miss 5of6 (3s) miss 1hit I win def hits
    thats 6(1s) 4(4s) 18(3s) to get 1 hit
    but, next battle 4inf(1s) vs 2inf(2s)- atk rolls 1,1,1,2 def rolls 1,2
    See it all evens out in the end!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics